Hey everyone.

Im currenly looking for a new amp. I live in Ireland. in the middle of nowhere so I cant really try any amps out for myself which is why Id like to ask you people for help.

Mu budget = Around 400 Euro. 450 tops.

My music = Anything from S.O.A.D. to The Strokes to The Fall of Troy.

I will be using either musicstore or thomann to buy the amp thru the net.

The models Im interested in are Laney lv300 twin or Laney lx120. If anyone owns them could i get your opinion on them? Im open for any suggestions though.

Im in a band and need a reliable amp which will be loud enough to play with a hard hitting drummer. Also it has to be new.

Thanks for your help
for 940 euro you can pretty much get thomas erak's amp...
orange ad30htc head.
but you still need a cabinet, ehhh 630 euro.
so 1600 euro. lol.
it's worth it tho!!!!
Quote by jeffeenso
for 940 euro you can pretty much get thomas erak's amp...
orange ad30htc head.
but you still need a cabinet, ehhh 630 euro.
so 1600 euro. lol.
it's worth it tho!!!!

I dont intend to sell my kidney any time soon so i cant really afford an amp for that much.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Those two amps are bollocks.

Get a used GH50L.

Has to be new from any of the 2 websites above.

Also why are they bollocks? Could you elaborate?
Last edited by luke140891 at Jul 12, 2008,
Give the Kustom Defender a try. They've got a 30 day money back warranty at Thomann. At the absolute worst, it's gotta be better than the amps you were looking at.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
Give the Kustom Defender a try. They've got a 30 day money back warranty at Thomann. At the absolute worst, it's gotta be better than the amps you were looking at.

Do you have any experiences with the defender?
Kustom has just recently made something of a comeback. Their Custom Coupes are nice amps. I haven't tried this particular model, but an all tube combo at that price is certainly worth a look. It definitely has the potential to be better than the Peavey Valveking for less money. And while I'm not a big fan of the VK, I'd take one over just about any 120-200W SS combo in the same price range.

With your budget -and their warranty- you're better off taking a chance on something like this than going with a known clunker like the Laney SS's you're thinking about.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Ok slats thanks.

Also is All tube amp maintance difficult? Would the defender be loud enough?
Quote by luke140891
Has to be new from any of the 2 websites above.

Also why are they bollocks? Could you elaborate?

They just don't sound good IMHO. They're really harsh and the top end is like ice picks.
Also would the defender be any good for S.O.A.D. Deftones or any (post) Hardcore?