Is it any good and what qualifications do you need(England) and what do you need to know. Apart from stuff about guitars and amps etc.

Thanks.
R.I.P Jon Lord, Rory Gallagher and Jimi!
Probably dont really need qualifications - maybe grades on guitar might help, but probably past shop experience would help more.

But its not really something to make a career of, if you want to make a career of guitars look into becoming a luthier or something i would say.
guitar knowledge and sales experience, most shops are commission based so you make most of your money selling ppl things they dont really need
Never done it myself but generally you'll need:
-good literacy and numerical skills.
- competant musical skills (usually guitar or bass for the 'rock' sections. Some may ask for some sort of audition)
i have no grades on guitar, i did my work experience in a guitar store, only really needed knowledge on guitars, amps and stuff in case customers ask, may also need to know how to fix a guitar and clean it properly and all that.

AND
im going to work for them in august, hopefully for a while.
Probably dont really need qualifications - maybe grades on guitar might help, but probably past shop experience would help more.

But its not really something to make a career of, if you want to make a career of guitars look into becoming a luthier or something i would say.
this
Sales experience, not just for music, but you know, sales in general.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
It's uncommon, but be prepared to get asked to demonstrate a guitar or amp (usually just playing something basic)
You'll probably need to know how to clean, maintain, and just basically look after instruments. You'll need to know basic facts about guitar and amps, which guitar is good for what etc. in case customers ask, and if you're good at selling stuff to people, then the store will like you.
I did my work experience at my local small-ish guitar store, and they asked me if I wanted to work on Saturdays shortly after. This is when I was 15 and had no experience working anywhere before that, so I obviously just made a very good impression during work exp, straight pimpin' and all that.

Still work there now, and it's been roughly a year since then.
Funny words.
I work at a big musician's store and i am one of the guitar section heads. There are very few qualifications and they wont make you audition, because they discourage you playing in front of customers, because you will most likely discourage them anyway and intimidate them. the big things are friendlyness, sales experience, and a good display of effort.
GEAR:
1959 Vintage Gibson Melody Maker
Fender Stratocaster
Martin OMM
Epi Les Paul Std
Pitchblack
Dunlop Wah
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Palomino V16

For pictures of my gear click http://s464.photobucket.com/albums/rr8/spoutz/Guitar Gear/?albumview=grid nao!

-Matt

Sláinte