Did a search and saw many questions on specific amps or “which to buy”... this is not one those, I'm looking for some vendors to consider...I'll decide if it's worth buying ....here's the story.

I'm stating to do research on my next amp. This will be a many month journey as I try the different amps out. I want to make sure I consider all the key vendors or even some small builders I might have overlooked.

Goal is a high-gain, all tube, multi-channel amplifier. I would really like something that I can dial the watts down for indoor playing (and recording). I'm debating between a good combo or getting head and a 2x12 extension cabinet. Price range is ~$1500 US plus or minus. I personally play and compose mostly heavier alternative rock or punk (picture Breaking Benjamin, Evanescence, Rise Against).

So here's what I have on the list now, but I'm looking for help identifying other vendors/models:

Mesa Boogie: 5:50 Express or Rect-o-Verb – Mesa was originally my desired amp. The 5:50 can drop into a class A at 5 Watts or 50 Watts A/B. Rect-o-Verb is basically same as a Single Rectifier but you can get a combo of it. The 5:50 is the most reasonable priced of pair, but also the least feature rich of all the ones I'm listing.

Carvin: V3 – Carvin offers a nice and inexpensive high-gain with 4 channels and some really nice features (effects recall, MIDI interface, two identical OD channels that can be voiced independently). Read it can be a little “fizzy” but the price is unbelievable for what you get. Also, you can cut out some power tubes to drop it to 50 W from 100 W. EDIT: Carvin V3 is only 3 channel.

Marshall: JVM series – I currently have a Marshall AVT150 (tube pre / SS power) that I am very happy with. The Marshall JVM410 is too expensive, but the JVM210 seems reasonable and has some nice features like the Carin (like MIDI). It is only a two channel amp but the OD has the same settings as the bigger cousin.

Egnater: Tourmaster - This is a bit higher than my price point ($1800 US) but seems incredibly versatile. Has a bank of switches to adjust output power anywhere from 10 W to 100 W, has 4 channels, and is a combo. A sales person at GC pointed it out when I was looking a Mesa's. Played it briefly and thought it had pretty good tone.

Peavey: XXX – Way too much power (120 Watts) that can't be dropped down. Doubt it would work for me, but price is in the range. Wish I could get a combo with less power.

So who am I missing in the sub $2K range?

--------
EDIT:
Suggestions from the thread:

Peavy JSX - Definitely something I should look into. Has combo and head (looks good too).

Mesa Boogie Stilleto and Mark IV - I've heard recordings of both and they do sound good. I think it would be prudent for me to play through most of the Mesa's to find the optimal one..if I go in that direction.

Engl - Nice amps, but I think they generally break the <$2K price point I'm looking for.
My Favorite T-Shirt Saying: "Warning: Drummer Playing Guitar"

My Music: Abandon At My Place -- One man heavy observational rock band...

My Fav Gear:
Egnater Tourmaster 4100, Schecter Hellraiser, MXR EQ, Ibanez Weeping Demon, Boss DD-7
Last edited by webcommando at Jul 13, 2008,
i am personally getting the carvin V3. but, it's a 3 channel amp. 2 identical OD channels and 1 clean, but the clean can be put into "soak mode" for another overdriven tone.

i don't know what 2x12 you'd be thinking of, but i just ordered an earcandy buzzbomb. i can't wait for both!
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
Haven't looked really in depth into extension cabinets (the 2x12). I was holding off looking until I was sure of the amplifier (obviously, if I get a combo don't need the extension).

I think part of the equation would be portability in addition to tone. Thanks for the info...Ear Candy has some pretty nice cabs on their site to consider when the time comes!

My Fav Gear:
Egnater Tourmaster 4100, Schecter Hellraiser, MXR EQ, Ibanez Weeping Demon, Boss DD-7
The V3 and Tourmaster really stand out in my opinion as excellent amps.

On a different note, it's reasonable to get a large, powerfull gigging amp *and* a small recording amp with that kind of coin. Consider it.
I say look into a Peavey JSX 2x12 combo.
Great versitile tone, high gain, three channels and the combo has a half power switch. (60/120)
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
I really would like to try a V3. But nobody near me sells them.....

Back on topic.

I like what spine.surfs said. And have you looked into the Mesa Stilettos? I've heard they're really amazing amps...
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by the.spine.surfs

On a different note, it's reasonable to get a large, powerfull gigging amp *and* a small recording amp with that kind of coin. Consider it.

I think you are correct that this would be a good strategy. I like my Marshall and would probably continue to use it for recording (I tap out of the external output through cabinet simulation..can do low volume recording with no effort and sounds pretty good).

If I found something great for me but has a bit more power, it wouldn't be a show stopper.

Everyone...thanks for the good input so far!

I'll be adding the Engl (I think they are out of my price range, but), Mesa Boogie Stilleto and Peavey JSX to the list to consider.

My Fav Gear:
I would also suggest the Peavey JSX 212 Combo.

Another thing to consider is the the JSX Combo also has Reverb (the head does not)
You can also use it to drive a cabinet (or 2 cabs if you unplug the combo's internal speakers).

Another thing that I really like about the JSX is that you can switch between EL34 (stock) tubes and 6L6 tubes.

All that and 3 channels plus the 120/60 watt power switch makes it very versatile.

I picked up a used (but minty) combo for $675.00 & I am very happy with it.

Let me know if you have any questions specific to this amp & I will do my best to help out.
R.F.
What the F is up with all the Old Thread Bumping? Guys please quit doing it. People are trying to help legitimate users with questions today and yesterday. Not July. If the TS bumps it that is one thing.

It is great to use the Search Bar but make sure you know what day and month you are reading first.

Really getting old.

V Not talking to you Say Ocean. I get burned like this all the time.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 20, 2008,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
What the F is up with all the Old Thread Bumping? Guys please quit doing it. People are trying to help legitimate users with questions today and yesterday. Not July. If the TS bumps it that is one thing.

It is great to use the Search Bar but make sure you know what day and month you are reading first.

Really getting old.

Would you like some cheese with that whine?