I've been stuck in a rut for about a year. I used to be able to write songs no problem. Some of them were even good. But lately whenever I start to write, my mind wanders to something else. And when I do write, all the lyrics are depressing. I just don't know what to do anymore. Help!
maybe writing depressing lyrics is just what you need to do at this time. Don't fight nature haha.

But if you want to try, just draw inspiration from your life (like maybe carry a notepad and just jot down some random sights you see.)
Fan of the Ottawa Senators

Quote by apak
My G string keeps slipping when i bend it.
Any suggestions?
Write about flowers, daisies specifically, they always turn my frown upside down and surely they will do the same for you!

Oh, and go buy 10 puppies, they are oh so cute and soft.

Oh, and workout regularly, eat healthy, and bathe daily.

Hope I helped!
write depressing lyrics...you'll get back to normal eventualy.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by shpangler
maybe writing depressing lyrics is just what you need to do at this time. Don't fight nature haha.

But if you want to try, just draw inspiration from your life (like maybe carry a notepad and just jot down some random sights you see.)

+1
Here's an example of what most of my songs look like.

I always thought I'd be alright
But I'm so empty tonight
As this pain I've denied
Bleeds out through my eyes
It never subsides, it just tears me apart
Every tear that falls is another stain on my heart
And just when I think I can't take anymore
It always comes back worse than before
Inside I think you know the extent of the pain
But outside I act like its all the same
I make myself numb pretending I don't care
After all, how can I miss what was never there
------------

What I don't get, is that I wrote this song about a girl a while back. I'm deeply in love with her. And she told me that she loves me too. We are together now, so why can I only write songs like this? I just don't get it.
yeah I seem to subconsciously write stuff like that too. I'm not sure why, maybe the mind tends to think about our most emotional memories when we begin to creatively write things.

There are two things you could try: Fight what you're doing and anytime you find yourself writing like that, move it aside and begin on another topic. OR...you could just finish one good depressing song and be done with it. Like I said in an earlier post, if you're still jotting these types of themes down, your mind must still be thinking about them so maybe you just need to flush it out of your system?
Fan of the Ottawa Senators

Quote by apak
My G string keeps slipping when i bend it.
Any suggestions?
Yeah, just let it do its course. Plenty of songwriters in todays music go through stages like that. Maybe exploring your sadness will help you conquer it (the psychologists answer, I suppose).
What happens with me, is I often write depressing lyrics, even though I much rather make humorous ones. But GOOD depressing lyrics are better than poor, forced happy lyrics.

I think I'm insane...
Quote by Shredder XXX
how about the way your entire country generalizes a culture by the actions of a few, citing any Americans idea of a middle eastern person.