Poll: Musical Genres - Truth or Fiction?
Poll Options
View poll results: Musical Genres - Truth or Fiction?
marketing ploys by the record execs to get people to buy music that they might not listen to
8 18%
are driven by the public's wish to be different but really just make them conformists
8 18%
actually exist and even the slightest addition to a style makes it a sub-genre
28 64%
Voters: 44.
Page 1 of 2
Basically I am starting this thread to see just how many people believe that either:

A. Most genres and sub-genres of music are just marketing ploys by the record companies, to create trends and fads to fool the public (especially teens) into purchasing music that they otherwise might not listen to.

B. Are driven by the public's wish to be different but really just make them conformists, as most genres can be broken down to their very basic style.

or;

C. Actually exist and even the slightest addition to a style makes it a sub-genre.

Fire away!
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
Quote by seljer
D. Not a big deal as people make them out to be

This is it.
ok, yeah. my name is silly because I signed up when I was 13.

BEDBUGS
To me Genre is simply a style. Not a group bands or singers or certain trend.

Do you what you want to do, listen to what you want to.

If companies and the music industries does use genre to attract people to a new band so be it. it doesn't affect me.
it seems as if most sub genres are fan created. Like Lamb of God's label just markets them as a metal band. It's metal fans who insist upon the term metalcore.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Genres actually exist
of course

some people get carried away with the subgenres thing,
but yes, they exist

and i'm glad they do, because it makes things so much easier
It's hard to kill a monster with a knife
But judging from the blood on my hands,
He won't be back for a while
While I don't doubt that marketing 'ploys' by the music industry do exist, I don't think this is one of them. Different genres are usually ascribed to music depending on how it sounds. If it's accurately done, it can be a good way of finding new bands to listen to that fall within the styles of music you prefer listening to. However, I'm not going to dismiss a band just because its genre isn't one of those that I normally like.
they can be helpful in describing a certain sound where the material isn't accessible for demonstration.

i think B and partly C are true. when i go to music shops, i only see stuff broken down into soundtracks, classical, blues, jazz, metal and rock/pop - and somehow fall out boy and paramore work themselves into the metal section :/ you don't really see any sub genres like grunge, thrash, hardcore etc in the mainstream retailers
There are no genres! Classifying music is as dumb as classifying animals!

WHO ARE YOU TO TELL ME THAT CAPYBARAS ARE RODENTS, SCIENTISTS?!?!?!?!?!

In all seriousness, I vote that genres are E) A way of grouping bands and artists that have similar features and musical styles.

Not to say that it doesn't get carried away from time to time.
In my experience, the moment that people are able to slap a label on bands, the genre begins to die, because people see those bands as part of an amorphous scene, which no one likes.

Look at nu metal; that was only being used in the genre's latter days.
Ever wonder what rock would have sounded like in 2010 if grunge hadn't made it cool to be stupid?

The Three Aces
On UG profiles - On Myspace

Please mark yourself as a fan if you like!
E. A very helpful label for if you are looking to explore a new style of music.
Genres r in a sense fictional, theyre developed to simplify things, same as ne stereotype, or catagorisation. But I find subgenres can get increibly annoying....and also some people have a tendancy of getting aggressive when they disagree on the meaning of a genre.....its all a bit ridiculous to be honest when people ask what music i like i prefer ot name bands/composers as i thin kthat geives a better idea than simply saying metal/classical/etc etc...right ok im getting waaaay too detailed here quite simply theyre a means of simplfying things like ne stereotype but lifei sn ot simple its chaotic in a kind of way and ive compeltely forgotten whati was talking about now gah nevermind
Is a simple system used to catalog different kinds of music, and a good thing. I don't want The Doors, and Judas Priest in the same category.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

I think some might be missing the question. I am not questioning whether genres exist or even perhaps some sub-genres. I am more asking if quite a number of sub-genres are more music industry or fan (or even non-fan) created and it actually ditracts from the musical community as a whole because of the clickisness that is a result. Say for instance calling Soundgarden metal (which is what Chris Cornell termed them as being) and staunch alternative people saying that's bull and it doesn't matter what the artists call their own music.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
There are no genres! Classifying music is as dumb as classifying animals!

I agree its as dumb as classifying people dear me i get so annoyed at that.....i meanj argh ppl do it all the time men r liek this women r like this thats a goth hes an emo theres a chav blah blah blah theyre all ppl think of ppl/music everything individually i beleive thats a better way of living
Quote by urik
Is a simple system used to catalog different kinds of music, and a good thing. I don't want The Doors, and Judas Priest in the same category.

Yeah. Mainly because the doors suck.

Personally, I have always maintained that my band plays hard rock. It annoys me when artists refuse to classify themselves at all because you have no idea what to expect. But at the same time, you have to leave yourself room to maneuver.
Ever wonder what rock would have sounded like in 2010 if grunge hadn't made it cool to be stupid?

The Three Aces
On UG profiles - On Myspace

Please mark yourself as a fan if you like!
Quote by shredder.cheese
I think some might be missing the question. I am not questioning whether genres exist or even perhaps some sub-genres. I am more asking if quite a number of sub-genres are more music industry or fan (or even non-fan) created and it actually ditracts from the musical community as a whole because of the clickisness that is a result. Say for instance calling Soundgarden metal (which is what Chris Cornell termed them as being) and staunch alternative people saying that's bull and it doesn't matter what the artists call their own music.
Well how else are they supposed to be created? Someone has to do it. Either something sounds one way, or it doesn't. Modern music has evolved past original genres and will continue to do so, therefore new terminology has been invented to describe it.
Quote by rigiddigits
Well how else are they supposed to be created? Someone has to do it. Either something sounds one way, or it doesn't. Modern music has evolved past original genres and will continue to do so, therefore new terminology has been invented to describe it.

But for instance take BB King who is a blues player and Kenny Wayne Sheppard who is also termed a blues player. Listen to the two there is a big difference in their music style and approach but I think most people would agree that they are both blues. I hear many new bands who sound almost identical (if you actually analyze their music) to bands of the late 70's and early 80's but yet a new a genre of music is slapped on them, when the only real difference may be better recording standards (or less if they're going primitive) and clothes.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
A great system that has helped me find hundreds of new bands that I just wouldnt of got round to otherwise.
Genre's are useful to describe a sound to someone.

If i asked someone to name a 'Metal' band it would be harder if the genre 'metal' didn't exists because genre's didn't exists lol. if that makes sense, so in the english language and conversations the word genre is useful. It is a short cut to describing a band.
Genres are there for me to be able to ask for music and get what I want.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Quote by GrissomFan
Genre's are useful to describe a sound to someone.

If i asked someone to name a 'Metal' band it would be harder if the genre 'metal' didn't exists because genre's didn't exists lol. if that makes sense, so in the english language and conversations the word genre is useful. It is a short cut to describing a band.

Again that is a misunderstanding. I am not talking about genre's that are completely decisive like, Classical, Jazz, Blues, Blues Rock, Country, Funk, Metal, Prog, Punk, etc. I am talking about the 10,000th little sub-genre that really can only be distinguished by one or two notes here and there and the cloths the listeners choose to wear - and is not some landmark new musical invention.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
They're for recommendation so when someone asks for a Neo-Classical Post-Black Metal/Heathen Metal they don't get Jay Z

On the metal fare: You can't classify it all as metal. Opeth and Gorgoroth are two different beasts. Cradle of Filth and Agalloch are miles different, etc etc.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by shredder.cheese
Again that is a misunderstanding. I am not talking about genre's that are completely decisive like, Classical, Jazz, Blues, Blues Rock, Country, Funk, Metal, Prog, Punk, etc. I am talking about the 10,000th little sub-genre that really can only be distinguished by one or two notes here and there and the cloths the listeners choose to wear - and is not some landmark new musical invention.

Go listen to psytrance and then neurofunk. Both are dance music.
Quote by Slaytanic1993
They're for recommendation so when someone asks for a Neo-Classical Post-Black Metal/Heathen Metal they don't get Jay Z .

I doubt if someone asked for metal they would get Jay Z or anything remotely close.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
Quote by MedicreDemon
Go listen to psytrance and then neurofunk. Both are dance music.

Hmmm you do have a point there.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
Genres definitely do exist, but they can be exploited by advertisers to create trends to make money. I love genres and pedantic subgenres, Progressive Melodic Blackened Viking Thrash Metal FTMFW!
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by shredder.cheese
I doubt if someone asked for metal they would get Jay Z or anything remotely close.

That's what genres are for.

You just defeated your own purpose.

If there weren't genres, then you could do that.

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
I guess maybe I am a little cynical. I have been a musician for 30+ years and was introduced to multi-styles early on so when I hear only minor subtleties I don't make much of them. And what I have made of it seems that it is more fans dogging fans about what they listen to like: such and such a group isn't "real" Punk they're Pop.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
Quote by Slaytanic1993
That's what genres are for.

You just defeated your own purpose.

If there weren't genres, then you could do that.

He already said he meant sub-genres. Nice try though at being a smartass.
Quote by MedicreDemon
He already said he mean't sub-genres. Nice try though at being a smartass.

Yet again, missing the complete point.

If there weren't subgenres even, then everything would be in weird labels.

Honestly, can you say Blink-182 sounds like Madonna? Both are in forms of Pop music, and are vastly different.

Quote by eggsandham2
I don't believe any of those choices
I think it's so you can get an idea of what a band will sound like before listening to them
Like if I randomly walked up to someone and asked ''Do you like Dimmu Borgir?''
Most people will reply ''What do they play?''
Where as if I asked ''Do you like Black Metal?''
They get a much better idea of what I'm talking about
You get what I mean?
Quote by Sir Anonymous
I'd call you a crazy Brit, but your username seems to quite assure your sanity.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Epic username of pure epicness

To: Jesus=ConArtist
Quote by Slaytanic1993
Yet again, missing the complete point.

If there weren't subgenres even, then everything would be in weird labels.

Honestly, can you say Blink-182 sounds like Madonna? Both are in forms of Pop music, and are vastly different.

Once again he means sub genres as in the really small 'poinltess' ones like melodic death metal with neo classical influences.
Quote by MedicreDemon
Once again he means sub genres as in the really small 'poinltess' ones like melodic death metal with neo classical influences.

That would be subgenres I was talking about m'dear.

Pop Punk (Blink-182), derives from the obvious.

Radio Pop (Madonna), is just pop that is really mainstream radio-friendly.

And, so what, it's so much easier to put a band into "Blackened Thrash/Death Metal w/ Symphonic Overtones" if that's what they are rather than "Heavy Metal."

Quote by eggsandham2
Page 1 of 2