Page 1 of 2
We were at Guitar Center the other day and I was playing on a Les Paul, and he just picked up a strat and just strummed open strings and thought he can just say it sounded good.

Thing is, is there a way I can show him how technical the guitar can be? My friend is one of those pop-punk drummers and such.

Anyway..
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
Line 6 Tonecore Uber Metal
Ask him how many different sounds he can make with his drums, then play a single scale...drums are a very rudimentary instrument, making them sound good however is not...it isn't fair to compare but guitar is way more technical and theory based
Just kill him. It's always worked for me.
[quote="'-[NiL"]-']You're not done being flamed in your other thread yet

My guitar was here first so lay hands off my soul.
Quote by bmac85
Ask him how many different sounds he can make with his drums, then play a single scale...drums are a very rudimentary instrument, making them sound good however is not...it isn't fair to compare but guitar is way more technical and theory based

but then if you wanna be insane drummer you have to be pretty fit, but with guitar you could be a fat waste of space
Quote by Atomic48
Nothing's impossible if you have the proper artillery.

Quote by Prole
In-depth common sense, at your service.

I Witnessed The Glory Of GORHL!

"It all shall fall, by the grace of the people." - ZDLR in Producer.
well, if he's playing open strings and he thinks it sounds good, he's a dumb**** anyway. just go sit down at a drum kit and beat the sh*t out of the crash and the snare, and tell him it sounds good.
dst127 wrote:
Soundwash22 wrote:
Fred Durst is the Tom Green of music

No, some people actually like Tom Green.

dancesisidance wrote:
Shiroshu wrote:
I can't see Jimi approving of this.

Me neither, due to him not being alive and all.
8 finger tapping
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
truthfully, guitar is easier to pick up. drums, you gotta be coordinated and all that mess.
ADD

Check out my self-recorded demos on my profile!!! C4C

Separation is an illusion.
You need rhythm and counting in guitar as much as a drummer does.

You also need melody coming from knowledge (theory)
Quote by deli_creep

*PEAR*

if i get banned....it was worth it.
Quote by zapatista89
but then if you wanna be insane drummer you have to be pretty fit, but with guitar you could be a fat waste of space

*cough* Yngwie *cough*
clearly 15 year old **** knockers who are bickering over dominant status.

respect your fellow musicians and grow the **** up.
Quote by zapatista89

you have to have a lot of stamina but not strength necessarily. i have friends who are great drummers that are pretty scrawny.
i hate mother****ers who give people **** just because they dont play the same instruments. i love the guys in my band and i love what they do. its a respect issue...c0cksuckers
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
Quote by haz_uk
clearly 15 year old **** knockers who are bickering over dominant status.

respect your fellow musicians and grow the **** up.

Ok.

1. Older than 15
2. I wasn't being a f*cking prick about it.. I respect him, but just didn't like the way he was putting down guitarists.

Sorry, again.. I didn't mean it in that way. And I wasn't saying drums were easier or anything either.
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by i_am_metalhead
I'm sorry but I play guitar and drums and I must agree with your friend that drums are harder!

Again, never said drums were easier haha. I agree they are hard.
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
With guitar I find that sometimes I have to force myself to play something more specified. With drums, the more creative, the better.

With drums, there really are no right and wrongs, with guitar, a bad note sounds like a bad note.

That being said, I would say drums are harder than guitar, although the only knowlege you need to know is timing, guitarists must learn timing, scales, chords, and all that stuff.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by george8392
truthfully, guitar is easier to pick up. drums, you gotta be coordinated and all that mess.

+1.
But once you can play drums, that's it. No theory, etc, and you can't write an infinite amount of melodies, or harmonies, or really nice lead work.
But they are both quite difficult for a beginner to master.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
i dont get why people compare instruments like this!!
any instrument is the same difficulty unless you want to master it.
i play both guitar and drums and think guitar is harder because i have been playing for less time but if i started at the same time i am sure i would be at equal skill...
BLUE
RED
YELLOW
Quote by Sad But False
i dont get why people compare instruments like this!!
any instrument is the same difficulty unless you want to master it.
i play both guitar and drums and think guitar is harder because i have been playing for less time but if i started at the same time i am sure i would be at equal skill...

So there are equivalently hard techniques with two instruments?

Some techniques are harder to some than others, both instruments are unique and require their own area of skill and talent to pick up.
Quote by md41
Again, never said drums were easier haha. I agree they are hard.

He knows you didn't. But your friend said drums were harder and he was agreeing with him.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
They're equal. Guitar is harder and takes longer to get to an average playing level, but drums takes much longer and harder to get to a truly good, professional master level. It can also be argued that drumming is more physically taxing than guitar playing is.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
if he's a pop-punk drummer as you say then he's stupid to say that. with a few exceptions, its real simple stuff, just fast. That being said, most pop-punk guitar is piss to play. Pop-punk is just not a very technical genre in most cases.
I am so tired of rhetorical questions. Or am I?
And you think drum is easier than guitar? ...
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

guitar takes practice, timing and an ear.

drums require coordination and stamina. not to mention timing. it also requires a whole lot more practice than guitar playing.

you cannot compare apples and oranges.
drums and guitar require talent in different areas, for some poeple drums will be easier to learn and for others guitar will be easier for them.
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
you can learn all the basic drum beats good in a day if you wanted to (if you're at least mildly coordinated and have a sense of rhythm). Just do that then tell him to learn the basics of guitar in one day
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Guys it's clear..

It's easier to play guitar if someone talks about Green Day and it's more difficult to play drums talking about Dream Theater. It's about music tastes and knowledge! You just can't choose something as easier from something completely different.
Physiologically speaking the drums are a significantly harder instrument to learn than the guitar. Simply put, playing the drums puts more parts of your body at work than the guitar does. The guitar is known for being, by design, one of the easiest instruments to pick up; if you think the guitar is a hard instrument to play, try playing the french horn.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
more parts of your body. drummers use two arms, two legs and that’s about it. That’s 4 body parts. But guitarists use 4 or 5 fingers for chords and solos on left hand only. Now for right hand you would use 2 for holding a pick or tapping and you would use all 5 for finger-picking. And take a wah effect and you would use a leg for that. Now add all the theory you have to learn before you can call yourself a proper guitarist.

Threadstarter, if you want to p*ss off that drummer show him one of these
http://www.alesis.com/sr18
Guitarists generally have to learn about as much of rhythmic theory as drummers do about melodic theory. Drummers have to know how to play over chord changes even if they can't define what those chord changes are. Tell me Mobilex, how up on polyrhythms are you? If I asked you to play five over four, could you? Seven over four? Nine over four? Seven over five? Nine over six? Five over six? What can you tell me about beat stresses? 12/8 swing? Cut time, double time, eighth = eighth; hell, if you can tell me about them, even if you can't, can you play them?
Co-ordinating one's fingers to act in harmony is a skill practically required for human life; it's basic and evolutionary in nature. Co-ordinating two related body parts (IE, co-ordinating one's left and right hand -- a hand is one limb, not five) is simple to do, it's a skill you learn when you're two. Co-ordinating your feet and your hands is an entirely different process and involves completely different parts of the brain that don't get a lot of work in every day life. That's why people who have drummed for a year, two years, three still can't do anything fancy or particularly flashy. Strum a difficult strumming pattern to a metronome while singing on the beat and tell me how that goes.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
well, i find drumming harder than i ever found guitar when learning. so for me, drums are harder.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I think drums are harder simply b/c I got shat coordination for drums -_-.
Its hard to sound bad on Drums, my opinion, if someone has any experince of drums they can play, they can also just pick up and play, it takes a good month to two months to even start playing Guitar after you pick it up because of the fact it makes your fingers hurt.
Quote by VGuitarist80
Its hard to sound bad on Drums, my opinion, if someone has any experince of drums they can play, they can also just pick up and play, it takes a good month to two months to even start playing Guitar after you pick it up because of the fact it makes your fingers hurt.

you also get much worse cuts and blisters from drum sticks. and its harder to co-ordinate all 4 limbs. its not just hitting stuff.

i think that people who want to learn drums should spend a few months crawling around like babies before they start playing to train themselves to co-ordinate their arms and legs better
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by md41
We were at Guitar Center the other day and I was playing on a Les Paul, and he just picked up a strat and just strummed open strings and thought he can just say it sounded good.

Thing is, is there a way I can show him how technical the guitar can be? My friend is one of those pop-punk drummers and such.

Anyway..

well guitar being a melodic instrument, it is deffinatly complicated. drums dont have melodies and all the theory behind the notes like guitars do. not to say drums are easy and have no theory, but its just not the same.

id say both can be hard. its really apples and oranges imo. if it were two melodic instruments like piano and guitar, then it would be a little easier to compare but drums dont play melodies. one might say guitar is more complicated theory wise because its melodic, but whether or not its easier to learn is really up to who ever is playing.
Page 1 of 2