I recently became curious about these. I know some lower-end manufacturers made guitars with on-board effects back in the 60's-70's, but are there any good guitars like these manufactured today?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
and there is the Gibson Robot or whatever - is like the VG Strat.

Not really; the VG strat has a variety of sounds and tunings available to it without actually changing the tuning of the guitar so in terms of string tension it always feels the same, the Gibson Robot guitar just tunes itself and helps with intonation.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
^I stand corrected. Thanks.

I guess I thought the Gibby could do alt tunings with a button push too. I guess the big difference to your point is that the Gibby mechanically turns the tuning pegs?...while the Strat just emulates the change kinda like a pitch shifter?

I'll do more research or use the Search Bar
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^I stand corrected. Thanks.

I guess I thought the Gibby could do alt tunings with a button push too. I guess the big difference to your point is that the Gibby mechanically turns the tuning pegs?...while the Strat just emulates the change kinda like a pitch shifter?

I'll do more research or use the Search Bar

Well the key differences, as I see them, are that the VG strat doesn't actually change the strings themselves so the playing experience is the same no matter what tuning you're playing in and it also has a variety fo different pickups sounds available to it where the Gibson will change the strings so they will feel different in different tunings and it will always sound like a Les Paul. If I had to have one it'd definitely be the Strat, it at least is one of the higher end models, the robot guitar is, at the heart of it, a Les Paul Studio rather than one of the best models.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Im pretty sure Matt Bellamy from Muse has a guitar with built in effects. He uses a Hugh Manson. Im pretty sure you cant buy them but hes got a sick guitar check it out.
Quote by harlanking
Im pretty sure Matt Bellamy from Muse has a guitar with built in effects. He uses a Hugh Manson. Im pretty sure you cant buy them but hes got a sick guitar check it out.

Well, technically it's not built-in effects. It's a midi-pad or something like that that controls a Korg Kaoss unit.

Still really really badass.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Fernandez makes one, I think it was called a Nomad. I don't know if it's still available.
I think the Clapton signature strat has some kind of gain boost on it but i don't know for sure....
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
You can get kits to install onboard effects from GuitarFetish, if I'm not mistaken.