Ive been looking for a good versatile 50 watt amp that can cover a lot of tones but mostly have a good high gain tone for metal.

Ive come down to 2 amps; the JVM 2 channel 50 watt and single rectifier 50.

maybe also the H&K switchblade.. but it was a little average when i tried it.

Was just wondering if any one had an opinion on these amps. and which would you recommend?

Thanks..
I'd go for JVM, the Recto series isn't very versatile.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
i played my buddies mesa single speaker and it sound really good, good tone, pedal friendly, and a nice EQ. i recommend it
Gear

Standard Epiphone LP W/Dimarzio Super 2's
1973 Ampeg VT-22

Fulltone Clyde
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Boss tu-2
Boss sd-1
Ehx Little Big Muff
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss eq-7
Ehx Memory Man
Digitech Delay X-series
Ehx Holy Grail
The switchblade is the most flexible of the bunch. Personally I would go with the JVM. It has the best best cleans and gain of any Marshall to date. Got to play one today (for the first time) and it was awesome. If I only had more money...LOL.

If you want to research further...here is a good website that has clips and pretty much everything JVM:

http://www.jvmforum.com/

A detailed review can be found here:

http://www.musicplayers.com/reviews/guitars/2007/0907_Marshall_JVM.php

Also, according to the reviewer the JVM and the Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadking II beat out the new Fender 5150 III - although not by alot. The next amp I needs to checkout is the 5150 III.

Hope this helps!!
Well I really like the rectos, nice clean crunch and of course high gain. Try them out and see what you like, really no one else can tell you what you like.
Quote by damnedone
The switchblade is the most flexible of the bunch. Personally I would go with the JVM. It has the best best cleans and gain of any Marshall to date. Got to play one today (for the first time) and it was awesome. If I only had more money...LOL.

If you want to research further...here is a good website that has clips and pretty much everything JVM:

http://www.jvmforum.com/

A detailed review can be found here:

http://www.musicplayers.com/reviews/guitars/2007/0907_Marshall_JVM.php

Also, according to the reviewer the JVM and the Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadking II beat out the new Fender 5150 III - although not by alot. The next amp I needs to checkout is the 5150 III.

Hope this helps!!

Thanks for that. great forum. i like the recto as well.. i have yet to try a JVM..
I'm not a huge fan of the Mesa, it just sounds rough. I'd say go for the Marshall, and I rarely say that unless someone has some serious cash
-limefan913

Quote by Chad48309
Quote by The_lizard_king
Originally Posted by The_lizard_king
It really does relieve stress. I was pissed off for a week because I didn't jerk off, so if you quit it you will go mad.
I don't think that's the correct use of the phrase "going mad."
I'm not a fan of the Single/Dual/Triple Rectos, but if it's between those two, I'd choose the Recto.

I've played the JVM on many occasions and it's yet to impress me even the slightest.

The clean is decent, the mid-gain is decent, the high-gain is horrible and weak sounding imo. The JVM is WAY overpriced for what it is. Maybe if it were in the $1300 range it would be good, but for a close to $2000 amp, it's a total let-down, just like every new Marshall amp since the JCM900.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Im in the UK so the JVM 2 channel is arround £700. and the Mesa is much more £1300 or somthing.. but i would probably get a used one for around 700-800 if i did go for a mesa.

I do love the bass response on the mesa, and how you can really feel a high gain chug. how is the JVM in terms of a bass response?
Quote by Neil27
Im in the UK so the JVM 2 channel is arround £700. and the Mesa is much more £1300 or somthing.. but i would probably get a used one for around 700-800 if i did go for a mesa.

Hmm, well if you're in the UK, I wouldn't even bother looking at a Mesa honestly.

Get an Engl man.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I'm not a fan of the Single/Dual/Triple Rectos, but if it's between those two, I'd choose the Recto.

I've played the JVM on many occasions and it's yet to impress me even the slightest.

The clean is decent, the mid-gain is decent, the high-gain is horrible and weak sounding imo. The JVM is WAY overpriced for what it is. Maybe if it were in the $1300 range it would be good, but for a close to $2000 amp, it's a total let-down, just like every new Marshall amp since the JCM900.

wait, are you saying the 900 WAS a let down?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
wait, are you saying the 900 WAS a let down?

No, the 900 is one of my favorite Marshall amps, saying anything AFTER it was
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
No, the 900 is one of my favorite Marshall amps, saying anything AFTER it was

ah yeah thats what i thought but you never know the review of the 900 is a little mixed
wait let me think here:
mg=horrible
avt=horrible
jcm 2000=not that great
yeah i pretty much agree with ya
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
+1 on the ENGL!

If it's between those two, and possibly the switchblade, then it's kind of a hard desicion. It all depends on what sound you're going for though. I was never a fan of Marshall amps, although I have played the JVM and it wasn't all that bad. The Mesa I liked alot. All Mesa's involve alot of tweeking ussually, but once you mess around a bit you can most likely find a solid tone. The Switchblade is good if you are looking for something with some effects, I've played that as well. I like the fact that you can save all the settings to different channels, esspecially with how much you can do with it. It has pretty good cleans, and when I messed with the distorted channel it sounded pretty good as well.
IMO, if you're looking for something that you're not going to be using cleans with alot, then get the Mesa. If you're looking for something a bit more flexible, and the cleans are something you'll need, then get the switchblade.

But like I said at first, if you can afford it, trying getting your hands on an ENGL. You should be able to find a used Powerball or Fireball for pretty cheap if you look around, and I'm sure you wont be dissapointed with either one.
ok, will have to put the fire/powerball on my list to try out,

To any one who has or owns a JVM, can they produce a huge bass sound and thump, like the mesa can, or does it just excel in the mid rangy kind of sounds?

thanks.
btw, ENGL's are still very not that cheap here in the UK.. they are cheaper in the US
hm at first i didn't think the switchblade was that great. but after i plugged in the midi foot switch and start messing around with the eq, i got a very vox like clean and after putting on a bit of gain it sounds exactly like ac dc's tone, then after i put on the lead and ultra channel it sounded very heavy and has a great bass response(depends on your speakers).

the marshall jvm was alright. i couldn't get a high gain out of it til my friend plugged in his muff. besides that you do have to tweak it abit to get a good tone. but if u really want a marshall i think you should look for a uued plexi. i heard they are excellent for the tone

as for the mesa. since you live in uk i advice you look for something else since many of my buddies in uk said is a total rip for them to get a mesa over there.