With my friends. A few things I was wondering. I am going to be playing rhythm guitar and singing, so I also have to write the lyrics. I wrote one song that the whole band agrees on but our bassist and he refuses to play it. Has anyone else had something like this happen. How should I approach the situation?
Check for "Taking a Picture (Won't capture this)
I would ask for his opinion on the song, and how he would go about it. Try making it work for his as well. This goes for any band memebers that it may happen to in the future, let everybody have there input on things and maybe try some of there ideas to see how things work out. That's what I would do.
What's his problem with the song? If he's going to refuse to even try it, get another bassist. He's going to cause problems later.
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
Quote by Fallen_Misery
With my friends. A few things I was wondering. I am going to be playing rhythm guitar and singing, so I also have to write the lyrics. I wrote one song that the whole band agrees on but our bassist and he refuses to play it. Has anyone else had something like this happen. How should I approach the situation?

See bolded text in the quote.

That may be the problem.

I tried that with the band I used to play with and they didn't like it at all, but when it became a group effort where everyone contributed to the song structure, it was like magic.

And just because you sing doesn't mean you HAVE to write the lyrics. I've seen lots of successful bands where everyone got their ideas through musically and lyrically in a lot of songs.

I'm not saying that you CAN'T be in a band where you write everything and come up with most of the ideas. Let's take Mikael Akerfeldt for example. He used to write everything for Opeth and no one in the band had a problem with that because he was looked upon as being a genius(and the Blackwater Park album displayed that nicely). But then lets take their newest album Watershed, every member of the band contributed and it kicked the hell out of Ghost Reveries and Blackwater Park.

If you want the best sound and the best attitude out of your band, then let everyone else contribute to the song structure as a whole. The bassist is vital to your sound, and his opinion should be respected(I'm not entirely sure when being in a band meant being part of a new democracy as well). Save your song for a solo project or something and let everyone contribute equally. Just jam and come up with ideas as a group, not by yourself.
Quote by mcrocks
I mean, some people still think that Rap is music, although that's been scientifically discredited.
Yeah I love the idea of having the whole band giving effort towards it. But before I wrote it I asked him for help and he kept saying its my job, its my job, its my job and he wasn't going to help. I edited it with the lead guitarist and the drummer and we all love it. He thinks its lame and makes no sense, and won't even say why.
Then tell him if he wont suggest anything and wont consider any of your ideas, he's out of the band.

He wants you to be the frontman and do all the dirty work?

Go ahead and take charge by kicking his dumb ass out.
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
Quote by HardAttack
Then tell him if he wont suggest anything and wont consider any of your ideas, he's out of the band.

He wants you to be the frontman and do all the dirty work?

Go ahead and take charge by kicking his dumb ass out.

+1
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
Kick the bassist out. I've had experience with people like that and they only get worse not better.
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
You can usually spot the serious musicians based on their attitudes....I think its obvious here.
If your band is run as a democracy, everyone in the band should first agree to do what the majority wants to do.
Sure, everyone's gonna end up doing something that they may not be too happy with, but then, everyone's also gonna get the opportunity to do something that they wanted to do but that someone else didn't want to do. It all evens out in the end.
There's no other way around it really, (Unless the band is run as a dictatorship, where one guy says what's going to happen and the rest do as they are told, which can also work, as long as the guy doing the telling is paying the other guys enough. ) and it's not like there's really any way to avoid it either, because everyone has slightly different tastes and likes and dislikes.
Band meetings are important, where everyone sits around a table and discusses the band's direction, songs, gigs, y'know, band business in general, and this is usualy best done just after a practice. But the most important part of that meeting is the vote. Every decision should be voted upon first, and majority rules. Otherwise, you're gonna find yourself in this particular situation again and again.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jul 14, 2008,
haha we just did that last night and we settled his ass straight.....and now he see's where were coming at with the songs...thanks for the info!