Hi, (this is long - short: need 1 channel amp, checked sticky, still unsure, can't really test, small town, only fender music store. I am down with people just listing off good 1 channel amps that I can google and get some sound samples, sorry rules/faq)

I have decided I need a need new amp, specifically all tube combo with above 40w, under 100. After reading the stickies I find myself more unsure of what to pick up, although I know I want something in the low to mid gain range, pricing 750 to 1250. Complicated more is the fact I live in a very small town, the only music store only carries fender amps.
I am seriously looking at the Fender Twin and Fender Twin Custom but I realized I really want a 1 channel amp.

I absolutely hate fooling around with my amp nobs and switching channels, I much rather simply use my pedals to get my diversity. (don't question this logic, I know pressing an amps footswitch is basically the same as stomping on boxes but in my head I feel it adds more complication and mess, and err I get frustrated just thinking about having extra mess).

So Before I go out and make my purchase I am looking for a single channel amp, I checked out Dr. Z amps (recommended in sticky) and they seem cool, but I dunno if it's really my thing. I like bluesy stuff, but I give it a good amount of fuzz. I play smashing pumpkins-esque dinosaur jr-y, tiny grungish alt surfy indie. I love a clean with that little trailing fuzz on the bottom end. The rhythm bluesy, the lead is noise.

If anyone can recommend something, my gear going with this new amp is a fender 65' jag, ds-1, mxr blue box, line 6 delay mod and a fender fuzz/wah.

I have googled, I have yahoo'd, I have given up... Just don't know what it really good as everyone rates the amp the have a ten ...

Thanks for any help and reading my novel!
marshall jcm 800 ftw
except don't use the ds-1 with it
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Laney GH50L
Marshall JCM 800
Various other amps
Mesa Boogie Mark I
Sunn Model T

EDIT: ANOTHER OTTAWA GUY!?
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Jul 12, 2008,
Thanks I will look into these. I love my ds-1 though... I know alot of people don't care for it, but it was my first pedal and my current tweaks sound right, what's the problem with it and the jcm?

Edit: Ya, well I am living in a small town in between ottawa and montreal now, moving to ottawa in sept.

I just checked and none of these are combos except for the mark one, which seems to be outta my price range and very rare.
Last edited by guitar.in.toast at Jul 12, 2008,
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Laney GH50L
Marshall JCM 800
Various other amps
Mesa Boogie Mark I
Sunn Model T

+1. The Laney GH50L is an amazing amp.
Quote by guitar.in.toast
Thanks I will look into these. I love my ds-1 though... I know alot of people don't care for it, but it was my first pedal and my current tweaks sound right, what's the problem with it and the jcm?

He was just implying that using a DS-1 with a JCM 800 is frowned apon because the DS-1 isn't the best pedal around.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
He was just implying that using a DS-1 with a JCM 800 is frowned apon because the DS-1 isn't the best pedal around.

Ahh, I love mine, it got smashed up though and repaired so it probably sounds different than a new one, I hear lots of people complaining about it, and never really knew why.
Quote by guitar.in.toast
Ahh, I love mine, it got smashed up though and repaired so it probably sounds different than a new one, I hear lots of people complaining about it, and never really knew why.

What, is it an old Japanese one? The newer Taiwanese ones are cruddy. Well, it's not that the DS-1 cruddy as it is VERY mediocre.

That and with the JCM 800, the drive is awesome and you wouldn't have a need for it.
i just wanted to say Great Tread start and Laney's may be more accessible.

and how accessible are the Fenders? Do you want a new amp or go used?

and just because it has a second channel doesn't mean you have to use it right? - i just think it narrows the list down too much imo.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
i just wanted to say Great Tread start and Laney's may be more accessible.

and how accessible are the Fenders? Do you want a new amp or go used?

and just because it has a second channel doesn't mean you have to use it right? - i just think it narrows the list down too much imo.

Maybe he wants simplicity. Why have the second channel when you don't use it? The amp would probably sound better without too much stuff cluttering the board and what not.
Laney GH50L, Marshall JCM/JMP 2204 head, VHT Deliverance (personal fav, along with the Marshall JMP), Fender Bassman
Quote by RG_FANMAN
Laney GH50L, Marshall JCM/JMP 2204 head, VHT Deliverance (personal fav, along with the Marshall JMP), Fender Bassman

Well, TECHNICALLY, the Bassman is a 4 channel amp

Soldano Avenger.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Well, TECHNICALLY, the Bassman is a 4 channel amp

Soldano Avenger.

no, its a 2 channel amp, not 4
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
no, its a 2 channel amp, not 4

The Tweed Bassman amp is 4 'channels' The Blackface, Brownface, Silverface Bassman amps are 2 channel amps.

And what do you mean ottawa is a small town? Ottawa has many guitar stores with different products. Long and McQuade, Steves, St. Johns, Retrotown, Spaceman, Intercontinnental, Lauzon.... The list could go on.

We have like, all of the guitar and amp brands.
Wow guys thanks for all the replies, to answer some questions:

H4t3 - I edited my post before I guess you didn;t see, I actually live inbetween Montreal and Ottawa in a small country town. It would suck to drag my guitar up and run around trying to find an amp, although I am moving to Ottawa coming the end of august, so I may wait until then to get my amp.

About only wanting one channel, it's kinda a ocd thing I have. I hate having stuff and not using it haha, and normally when I play an amp it has channels that I never use, but have a compulsion too, but don't want to, and ehh, it just gives me a major headache.. I always having a problem with editing settings.... don't get me started. I know it's weird, just leave it alone haha.

I am considering a two channel amp, like I said it would probably be the Fender Twin or Twin Custom, I just wanna know if I can fix my other problem before making a decision.

Oh 311, the fenders amps are very accessible in this small town, except they would need to order in a twin, so I wouldn't get to try it first, but I know some guys that play a twin and silverface & blackface bassman and they all sound hot. I am very open to used equipment, as long as it ain't broke
Last edited by guitar.in.toast at Jul 13, 2008,
used marshall or ceriatone jcm 800

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by guitar.in.toast
Wow guys thanks for all the replies, to answer some questions:

H4t3 - I edited my post before I guess you didn;t see, I actually live inbetween Montreal and Ottawa in a small country town. It would suck to drag my guitar up and run around trying to find an amp, although I am moving to Ottawa coming the end of august, so I may wait until then to get my amp.

About only wanting one channel, it's kinda a ocd thing I have. I hate having stuff and not using it haha, and normally when I play an amp it has channels that I never use, but have a compulsion too, but don't want to, and ehh, it just gives me a major headache.. I always having a problem with editing settings.... don't get me started. I know it's weird, just leave it alone haha.

I am considering a two channel amp, like I said it would probably be the Fender Twin or Twin Custom, I just wanna know if I can fix my other problem before making a decision.

Oh 311, the fenders amps are very accessible in this small town, except they would need to order in a twin, so I wouldn't get to try it first, but I know some guys that play a twin and silverface & blackface bassman and they all sound hot. I am very open to used equipment, as long as it ain't broke

See if you can score a Tweed Deluxe Reissue. The Tweed ones are single channel and they sound sweet. They take pedals really well. It has 4 'channels', but they aren't quite like the channels we have as they are 'inputs'.

You could also try scoring a Deluxe reverb but that's a two channel amp. You'd probably use both since the other one is a vibrato channel.

I say wait until August, then you have a lot of options to fool around with.

^ I don't think Ceriatone does an 800 clone.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Jul 13, 2008,
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Laney GH50L
Marshall JCM 800
Various other amps
Mesa Boogie Mark I
Sunn Model T

The singer in my band is from Ottawa!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
See if you can score a Tweed Deluxe Reissue. The Tweed ones are single channel and they sound sweet. They take pedals really well. It has 4 'channels', but they aren't quite like the channels we have as they are 'inputs'.

You could also try scoring a Deluxe reverb but that's a two channel amp. You'd probably use both since the other one is a vibrato channel.

I say wait until August, then you have a lot of options to fool around with.

^ I don't think Ceriatone does an 800 clone.

I'm fairly sure they do
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Quote by Gabel
The singer in my band is from Ottawa!

No way!

It's a small world

Quote by cmakkidguitar
I'm fairly sure they do

So they do
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
No way!

It's a small world

I agree!

Quote by cmakkidguitar
I'm fairly sure they do

They do, the 2204 (50W) and 2203 (100W)
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by guitar.in.toast
I would wait til august but you see I currently have a Marshall mg...

You can wait two weeks.

If not, just wing it.

You know what?

I have a single channel Marshall if you'd be interested.
Maybe, the failure of the mg, which I purchased long ago, before I knew anything about anything except marshall is a big name, makes me hate Marshall haha. I am willling to give another one a shot I suppose.
the carvin vintage 16. goes from 16 watts to 5.

i know it's below 40 watts, just throwing it out there. 16 watts is loud
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
Quote by DunlopGuy
the carvin vintage 16. goes from 16 watts to 5.

i know it's below 40 watts, just throwing it out there. 16 watts is loud

I will look into it, but I am looking for something that I won't ever have to upgrade from for years. So if that 16 can play clubs in the ottawa-toronto market then that would be great.
Quote by guitar.in.toast
Maybe, the failure of the mg, which I purchased long ago, before I knew anything about anything except marshall is a big name, makes me hate Marshall haha. I am willling to give another one a shot I suppose.

This one's a bit different.

I.E. tubed.
Vox AC30CC

I know you said over 40W, but the AC30 is a notoriously loud 33W. Louder than many amps rated at 50W or more. It has two channels, but they're not footswitchable. Instead, they're blendable. So you plug in, dial in the sound you want, and pedal up from there.

Medium gain, surfy, indie... I don't know if there's a better amp out there for you in your price range. Maybe a Fender Super Reverb?
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Yes I love the Vox and was contemplating but I thought they were out of my price range, isn't that AC30 like 2000$
The AC30CC can be had used aroun 900 bucks. Some guy on kijiji or used ottawa is selling one. Pounce on it
Quote by guitar.in.toast
Yes I love the Vox and was contemplating but I thought they were out of my price range, isn't that AC30 like 2000$

$1200
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
The AC30CC can be had used aroun 900 bucks. Some guy on kijiji or used ottawa is selling one. Pounce on it

Didn't see it on Kijiji or UsedOttawa (first time there, awesome site). Used ottawa does have a fender bandmaster which kinda piqued me if I can get the price down.

Isn't the 1200 dollar vox made in china or something? I heard they have some problems with it.

Edit: Would a fender Princeton be a good tide over/practice amp while I make my decision ( then I can wait until I am settled), say if it's 200$?
Last edited by guitar.in.toast at Jul 13, 2008,
Quote by guitar.in.toast
Isn't the 1200 dollar vox made in china or something? I heard they have some problems with it.

Edit: Would a fender Princeton be a good tide over/practice amp while I make my decision ( then I can wait until I am settled), say if it's 200$?

The new AC30CC's are great amps. They're made in China, but in Korg's own factory to very strict standards. They're very solidly built. The older, made in UK AC30's probably have more visits to the repair shop than the latest version.

And if the Princeton in question is a SS amp, then no. You seem to have some budget concerns, why throw $200 away on a mediocre (at best) amp?
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Try the Soldano with built in reverb. It's 30w I think and it's $1250 still, I think. The Combo would be a little more
Quote by slatsmania

And if the Princeton in question is a SS amp, then no. You seem to have some budget concerns, why throw $200 away on a mediocre (at best) amp?

I have a worse amp I can sell for 350. I will have to try out this chinese ac30 then, I will be in ottawa this thursday, gotta find time for a music store visit.
It would also be a crying shame to discount Traynors on account of them being 2 channel, especaily with you being in Canada...the YCV40T sounds like it might suit you pretty well, or possibly the YCV80Q if you want more clean headroom.

I agree with you to a certain extent though, the simplicity of a single channel amp is far more enticing to me than something with an abundance of bells and whistles.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com