I just made one of these and installed it in an 80s Korean Squier and it sounds pretty good. There are a lot of interesting possibilities for stereo effects, especially for recording. Here's a little sample, with every other string panned opposite:
Here's a demo sample, with every other string panned opposite:

http://www.ubertar.com/creot/stereo.MP3

One side was recorded direct, the other through a Fender Champ and an RE20. No effects or eq, compression, etc. of any kind.

Eddie Van Halen has a guitar set up like that-- I'm not sure what songs he used it on. I'd be curious to know, if anyone here knows. I think his was a Kramer.

Roland and a couple other companies made 6 output pickups for guitar synths... midi tracking can only handle one note at a time. A lot of those (I don't know about the Roland) are piezo electric, which work fine for midi tracking, but don't sound so good on their own. The one I made is electromagnetic.

There was a guitar called a Gittler, made in the 80s that had a hexaphonic pickup too. Those are worth a lot of dough now. They didn't make very many of them.

I set mine up with a pan pot for each string, but just dividing the voltage between left and right didn't work so well as a way to pan. I may rewire it with this scheme: http://electronicdave.myhosting.net/miscimages/panpot.gif
or I may go the easy way and use on-on-on dpdt switches for left-center-right. The switches are really cheap on ebay.

I'm curious to know if anyone here has used pickups like this, and what kinds of stuff they did with them. The new digital Gibsons have this capability too, but they go for way too much money for me.

I've made a few of these, and can make more... I put up a post in the classifieds section if anyone is interested in buying one (or more). Thanks.
It was the Kramer Ripley Stereo Guitar - I know he used it for the intro to Top Jimmy, that's the only song I definitely know it was used on.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
It was the Kramer Ripley Stereo Guitar - I know he used it for the intro to Top Jimmy, that's the only song I definitely know it was used on.

Cool, thanks. I don't know that song... I'll have to check it out.