first things first i have an Epiphone special II

Randomly today i picked it off its stand and started playing, then i noticed it seemed really out of tune, so started tuning it, and nothing seemed to sound right ...

so i started using my electric tuner to tune and it still would fluctuate up and down... eventually i realised it only did it when i was touching the headstock to turn the tuners

i experimented a bit and i confirmed definately that it doesnt change pitch when im play it open not touching anything, but when it touch any of the low frets( < 9) and especially when i touch the headstock....

whats wrong??? what can i do?
did i make sense or should i post pics idk...

Emotion = true music

Gear

Vantage 718dt-1
Epi Special II
Crate V Series 212 18w
Fuzz Factory
MXR Phase 90
Sounds like your action is screwed up?
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
but how would that happen if i didnt change anything? what should i adjust.. the intonation was perfect yesterday i dont know what happened

or could it be the truss rod ?

Emotion = true music

Gear

Vantage 718dt-1
Epi Special II
Crate V Series 212 18w
Fuzz Factory
MXR Phase 90
Do you know if it got knocked off its stand or something? look down the neck and tell us if its warped
I had trouble with the intonation of my third string with my epiphone sg when I first gotit. Once and awhile I would have to move the bridge back. It's in tune now and the saddle is all the way back. If it is the truss rod I would have a professional take care of that. You don't want a snapped neck.
Quote by Th6r6a6sH
Do you know if it got knocked off its stand or something? look down the neck and tell us if its warped

i dont think it could have been knocked off unless if like my sister did but ireally doubt it..

and it looks straight to me

Emotion = true music

Gear

Vantage 718dt-1
Epi Special II
Crate V Series 212 18w
Fuzz Factory
MXR Phase 90
ooh, thats tricky. Do you feel any loose hardware or anything? maybe even a worn out nut?
nope no loose hardware .... the only thing i could think is if somehow the truss rod is broken? the neck feels like its bends when i touch it almost....

Emotion = true music

Gear

Vantage 718dt-1
Epi Special II
Crate V Series 212 18w
Fuzz Factory
MXR Phase 90
kinda sounds like somebody loosened the bolts on the neck
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
what year is this Epi special 2?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
2007..what bolts?

Emotion = true music

Gear

Vantage 718dt-1
Epi Special II
Crate V Series 212 18w
Fuzz Factory
MXR Phase 90
I've heard that up until 2007 , the neck wood wasn't really mahogany (I know for a fact the cheap guitars have this-I have a G-310 with a basswood neck), it was something else. but make sure the neck is tightly bolted in before jumping to the conclusion that it's some kind of junk.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Jul 12, 2008,
yeah, that sounds like a job for a professional. have one look at it, or buy a new neck. its bolt-on, right?
you can just buy a new neck? and new truss rod? I might have to do that... but idk anyone else no anything about this sort of problem

i few a few questions about buying a new neck, first is can i use one with 24 frets to replace it? would a new one have its own tuners truss rod etc?

Emotion = true music

Gear

Vantage 718dt-1
Epi Special II
Crate V Series 212 18w
Fuzz Factory
MXR Phase 90
Last edited by CryingAlone at Jul 13, 2008,
I have an Epi LP Special II as well. The tuners seem to be a fidgety on mine. But, just run through it: set the action to 2/32, neck relief to .010 and set your intonation with new strings in that order. I use those settings for my guitar, and the playability is awesome.

http://mysite.verizon.net/jazz.guitar/guitarsetup.htm

I used the instructions on this site to set up my guitar, and it works well. But yeah first check your neck hardware and make sure they are snug. Don't over tighten them. Don't be afraid of adjusting your trussrod. Just TAKE YOUR TIME & DON'T FORCE ANYTHING and you'll be fine. If you encounter any resistance, then take it to a guitar tech. I believe the allen wrench for the Epi LP II trussrod is 5/32, but double check that. Good luck!
-Custom Epiphone LP
-Gretsch G5129 Electromatic
-Fender DG8S Acoustic
-Fender Blues Jr. NOS amp
-Boss FBM-1, CS-3, NS-2, DD-7, RC-2 Pedals
Quote by CryingAlone
first things first i have an Epiphone special II

Thats your problem!
Gear
Jackson Rhodes
Jackson Kelly With EMG HZ's
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Sierra 28ce Acoustic Electric
Peavey Vypyr 212 (tube)
Line 6 Floor pod
Ibanez Toneblaster 30w
Custom Bass I built from spare parts
Fender Rumble 60 bass amp
Quote by DCarney9116
Thats your problem!

Hey! Nothing wrong with them! I've got one. Just needed a little setup, but it plays quite well! They're actually quite a bargain for the price.
-Custom Epiphone LP
-Gretsch G5129 Electromatic
-Fender DG8S Acoustic
-Fender Blues Jr. NOS amp
-Boss FBM-1, CS-3, NS-2, DD-7, RC-2 Pedals
make sure everything it tight and bolted...maybe change your strings
Thanks for reading this... Ladies