Pick
119 77%
Fingers
29 19%
Fingerpicks... lolwut.
6 4%
Voters: 154.
Page 1 of 2
I want to see what percentage of the pit plays with a pick. The only time I ever use a pick is when I play metal.

I don't play with a pick when I play classic rock, jazz, blues, or anything else.

I find that it gives me more control. If I want a softer sound I can play with the fleshy part of the side of my thumb. If I want a punchier sound, I can play with my nails. I find it more fluid sounding.
The same as you TS, I play with a pick whenever i want to play metal, but go with fingers when I play just about anything else that doesn't need a pick.
A bit vague but sure why not.
Yes I am from Hawaii.

It's not really a great place to live..
..but fun if you're a tourist!
FoTB Duration: June 12, 2008 - July 12, 2008
It's good to be back guys.
I use a plectrum, mainly because I can't fingerpick for a kitten's life. I also hate when people call it a plectrum and not a pick, it makes them seem like snobby assholes.
Quote by RU Experienced?
I use a plectrum, mainly because I can't fingerpick for a kitten's life. I also hate when people call it a plectrum and not a pick, it makes them seem like snobby assholes.

That makes you sir, a snobby asshole.
i almost always use a pick. i tear up the part of my finger right above my nail if i dont. i do wanna learn how to finger pick eventually ha

Quote by Ergin
Picks are for picking, fingers are for fingering, nuff said.

+1
Quote by RU Experienced?

I c wat u did thar.
Jackson KVX10
Epiphone EB-3

Bugera 6260
Laney Supergroup Mk 1
Marshall VS100RH
Laney LX412A

Bad Monkey
Crybaby
Metal Muff
Fish N Chips
Quote by RU Experienced?

i see what you did thar...
EDIT: DAMN!

i usually use picks for everything except acoustic fingerpicking.
I always pick, unless I'm playing classical, or just messing around..

Even with bass usually, unless its Jazz.. for tone reasons.
Quote by RU Experienced?

I see what you did there.

I use picks for pretty much everything, except jazz. I'd rather deal with hybrid picking than having no pick at all, actually.

EDIT: Damn...
I only use a pick. My fingers are too big to fingerpick easily
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
unless the song I'm playing requires finger/hybrid picking, I only use my pick
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Why's everyone singling me out

I only realized how obnoxious "plectrum" is when I had typed it out and I'll be damned if I'm going to go and highlight the text and change it, no sir.
I play with or without.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Any guitarist who ONLY uses a pick is severely limiting themselves musically.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Awesomepossum5 proves that pick use isn't necessary. I do both. Mainly with a pick, but I finger pick a few songs.
Awesomepossum5 is way better then Jeff Beck in his fingering abilities.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Umm... both. Depends on the style of music I'm playing or if I can't find a pick at the time.
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!
Y no option for both?

I go fingerstyle for acoustic peices and i use a pick for pretty much everything else.
Quote by soundgarden19
Awesomepossum5 is way better then Jeff Beck in his fingering abilities.

BLASPHEMER!!!!

No one is better than Jeff Beck in terms of fingering abilities.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
I fingerpick most of the time, except when I play electric guitar sometimes. I think it gives me more control over what I'm playing. Just a preferance...
Quote by breadstick
BLASPHEMER!!!!

No one is better than Jeff Beck in terms of fingering abilities.

I kid I kid

Oh and I basically fingerpick all the time except for when I want faster stuff.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
i usually uses my fingers playin bass and its about 50/50 on geetar
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
I play with both. Some songs I play I have to pick with a plectrum and use my ring finger. When I play metal I use a pick only. When I also play classical music and I play strictly fingerpicking
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

I only use fingers for fingerpicking. In any other scenario, picks will allow me to go from playing chords to playing single notes much more flexibly than playing without a pick would.
I'm a communist. Really.
The only time I don't use a pick is when I play my bass, and even then I use a pick sometimes.
It depends, sometimes I need a pick, other times my fingers give me the tone I want, the guitar is a fluid instrument noobs.
I pick unless I lack one, or I am playing my acoustic, which has nylon strings.
Always use a pick with guitar.

Rarely use a pick with bass, when I tend to use my fingers/thumb.
The.
I used my fingers and then switched to a pick. Played with a pick for 1 and a half years, used my fingers for 4 years.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
It all depends on what I'm playing. I have a few basic rules though. I never play rock/metal without a plectrum. Classical and folk are exclusively fingerstyle, jazz and blues can be either depending on my mood. Unless I am playing rhythm, I never touch an acoustic with a plectrum an will only use my fingers. I use medium picks, and never use finger picks, just my bare fingers.
Page 1 of 2