There are a lot of users on this forum, so hopefully at least one of you surfers can help me...

I need a new computer.

Well, I want one anyways. This is one is getting pretty slow, and though it still functions and a system reinstall is possible, the thing is more than five years old and an upgrade is in store.

SO. I need a computer that can handle basic user needs (internet usage, home office crap, misc. doodads) but also handle more intensive tasks such as low level media production and gaming. By gaming, I don't mean that it needs to run Crysis at it's top specs, but I would like it to be semi futureproof as well as be able to play Oblivion at a decent level - as best as possible without breaking bank.

Moneywise, I don't want to spend more than $1,200 - if necessary, things can overflow, but I am just a kid (16, summer job, min wage, "frugal" parents) so don't break my heart.

The brand doesn't matter, but it would obviously have to be a Windows box for the gaming aspect of things (I know, Macs can play WoW and they sure are pretty, but I'd rather stick with Windows - don't hate).

Thanks in advance, I hope the UG crew can help me out.
Just buy some cheap Dell or Compaq or something. Mine was less than $400 and I did a 2 GB RAM upgrade, 630W PSU upgrade, and a NVIDIA GeForce 8600GTS cost me (nothing, gifts ) $200. I can run CoD4 at highest settings with 40~100 FPS at 1024x786.
Buying a computer just for gaming isn't worth it. You can get a system for thousands and MINE IS BETTER jk
Make sure the processor is dual core too.
Last edited by RPGoof at Jul 12, 2008,
Just make sure when you do get it get firefox or die.
May the Schwartz be with us! 2012

MAL

Q: OK, so do you care about the labels — nastiest, edgiest team in the NFL?

Jim Schwartz: It's better than the alternative — meekest, least aggressive, softest team in the NFL.

for $1200 you can get a hell of alot nowadays.... personaly i would build one as i am a do-it-your-self kind of guy... if you dont want to do that go to best buy and browse
Quote by HaKattack
Pop Tarts. Strudels are a Austrian invention; Hitler was also from Austria.
Obviously, Toaster Strudels are the same as Toaster NAZIS.
Alright, I'll check out what the big boxes have to offer, and see if I can't make one on my own for any less coin.

Thanks for the help; more suggestions are always welcome.
dude for 1200 you can get a quad core 4 gigs of ram and a killer video card and maybe if your lucky get an sli set up of two killer video cards