So i just got an SM58 mic and an XLR connector, so does anybody know if i can set up my live sound like this:
guitar--direct box -- XRL straight to mic am i able to plug the mic right into the direct box
amp__/
also what input in the amp should i plug into from the DI box?
BTW: i added to another thread but got no help
I read your post three times, and I'm still not sure what you're trying to do.

Ok, so you got an SM58. Yeah, it's got an XLR balanced connector on it.

And, you've got a guitar, an amp, and a DI box.

You didn't mention what kind of amp you've got, and why you need to use a DI box with the guitar.

Maybe you should start over, list your gear, and tell us what you're trying to accomplish.
Quote by amp_surgeon
I read your post three times, and I'm still not sure what you're trying to do.

Ok, so you got an SM58. Yeah, it's got an XLR balanced connector on it.

And, you've got a guitar, an amp, and a DI box.

You didn't mention what kind of amp you've got, and why you need to use a DI box with the guitar.

Maybe you should start over, list your gear, and tell us what you're trying to accomplish.

does the amp really matter? well ryt now its a spider III and i ****in hate it so im trying to get something else, i need to use a DI box with the guitar because i am wondering if i can use one amp for the guitar and mic. Forget about the part with the guitar i am just asking if i can use a DI box as a "converter" like this:
amp -- DI box -- mic
without using a mixer?
In short yes you could as long as you get a self powered DI box (battery).

But it's not gonna sound very good.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
Quote by guitaristclass
In short yes you could as long as you get a self powered DI box (battery).

But it's not gonna sound very good.

it will only be for the time being, until i save up for a nice mixer and get a new amp
just get a mic cable that has XLR on one side, and a 1/4 inch on the other.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
^ He could but the DI box will increase the sound quality.
Main Gear:

PRS CE22 Mahogany
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
EHX SMMwH
Quote by guitaristclass
^ He could but the DI box will increase the sound quality.

correct me if im wrong, but DI boxes are desinged to bring a signal to line level, thats the jist of it. so he will easily overdrive the preamp, because the preamp is designed to receive a signal smaller than line level. basically the idea of a preamp is the same as a DI box. They bring the signal to a level that the power amp can work with.
now i could be very very very wrong, so dont quote me haha.

and also, even if it did sound better, it would be very marginally better and still sound like poo.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
^That is true to a point, a DI box can be used to increase the signal to line level but it also corrects the signal so it is suitable to go straight into a desk (ie recording). This is what is used for recording a guitar direct into a desk for re-amping and such.

And yes it would still sound poo die to the amp, kinda like polishing a turd.
Main Gear:

PRS CE22 Mahogany
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
EHX SMMwH
Quote by guitaristclass
^That is true to a point, a DI box can be used to increase the signal to line level but it also corrects the signal so it is suitable to go straight into a desk (ie recording). This is what is used for recording a guitar direct into a desk for re-amping and such.

And yes it would still sound poo die to the amp, kinda like polishing a turd.

what do you mean "correct the signal"?
when you use it for direct recording of a guitar, it brings the signal to line level, thats what the point of that is. And also, i think there is a special box called a "re-amp" that is used for re amping.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
would the sound quality be much better if i used a mixer instead of a DI box, even if it is an inexpensive mixer?