Did't really know where to post this, so I guess I will ask the Pit.

Fellow Pit-ers, I have a predicament. I want to get a new guitar because I have s Squier and that isn't cool. But I have been thinking about picking up bass. For a new guitar, I was hoping to spend no more than $1000, but preferably around $700. For $700, I could get a decent bass and amp. I know it comes down to a preference, but can someone give some input? Pit, what should I do?
Get a Carvin. Do it.
Don't spend $700 on a bass and amp if you're a beginner. Go to the FAQ in the bass forum and check out the beginner basses and starter packs (which include amps) and work your way up. That way, you can get a decent guitar, a half decent beginner's bass and a bass amp for your money.

On the subject of basses, Squier basses are of a F*CKLOAD higher quality than their guitars. SomeSquier basses (VM series) hold up against any MIM Fender.

No matter how long you've been playing guitar, you are on the bottom rung of the ladder as far as bass playing goes. There's no point spending stupid amounts of money on it yet.
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Jul 12, 2008,
+1 to Deliriumbassist. Don't sink a bunch of money into an instrument if you're not even sure what you want to play.

I'd suggest going to a bunch of music shops over the coming month and try out a variety of guitars and basses. Don't be in a rush, take your time and make an educated, thought-out decision.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Don't spend $700 on a bass and amp if you're a beginner. Go to the FAQ in the bass forum and check out the beginner basses and starter packs (which include amps) and work your way up. That way, you can get a decent guitar, a half decent beginner's bass and a bass amp for your money.

On the subject of basses, Squier basses are of a F*CKLOAD higher quality than their guitars. SomeSquier basses (VM series) hold up against any MIM Fender.

No matter how long you've been playing guitar, you are on the bottom rung of the ladder as far as bass playing goes. There's no point spending stupid amounts of money on it yet.

Already read it.

Yea, I'm a Fender fanboy, and I would settle with a Squier. For the price, I love my Squier. Yea, I said it. Flame me.

And even if I invest in a good bass, I will be saving money in the long run if I ever decide to get a good bass. I don't want to get both, it's either-or.

Quote by Garou1911
+1 to Deliriumbassist. Don't sink a bunch of money into an instrument if you're not even sure what you want to play.

I'd suggest going to a bunch of music shops over the coming month and try out a variety of guitars and basses. Don't be in a rush, take your time and make an educated, thought-out decision.

I know I will eventually get a bass.

I'm going to Guitar Center tomorrow to try out some guitars. I'm going to be looking at the Highway One Strats.
Get a Carvin. Do it.
Last edited by ferretface at Jul 12, 2008,
Quote by ferretface

I'm going to Guitar Center tomorrow to try out some guitars. I'm going to be looking at the Highway One Strats.

I've got a highway one and it's a great guitar. Only thing I don't like about it is that the tuners suck.