Poll Options
View poll results: Music? Or Lyrics?
Music
71 89%
Lyrics
9 11%
Voters: 80.
Page 1 of 2
I was wondering, Pit... What do you think makes a song great? Is it badass riffs with an awesome beat, or great, well-written lyrics? Personally, I like the music, but I'm curious as to what you think.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
A combination of both if it's not an instrumental.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
It is a combination of the two. If you have great lyrics but **** delivery then the song will suck, but if you have **** lyrics and awesome riffs behind it it is still going to be sub par. You need both to make a song sound good.
I like both, but I'd rather listen to a song with crappy lyrics and great sounding riffs, drum patterns, etc. rather than a brilliantly written song with poor instrumentation.
its the music... i can listen to classical music, foreign music, or new instrumental music and it is just as good as a song with lyrics i can understand
Music.
If I wanted the lyrics, I wouldn't listen to Death Metal. Though great lyrics in a song make the song 10x better. Lamb of God is one of the good metal bands with good lyrics that actually mean something.
Lyrics are just icing on the cake. If you don't believe me listen to Tool. They make the music THEN write the lyrics.
PANDEMIC GROUP

Slash is trash

I has golfclaps!
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

Quote by boreamor
Your avatar is the first thing that has made me laugh in a long time. I applaud you

Quote by superslash1994
Lmao, your avatar earns you a golf clap.
If lyrics were more important than music, then millions of people would go to sold-out spoken word tours.
The.
Music is really more important, but you can't have an amazing song without having both elements(unless it's an instrumental). I prefer music because there are so many things you can do with it, but good lyrics are always nice. I mean think about it, what would a song be without music? It would be spoken word, and that's something completly different.
Music first
the guy could be yodeling for all i care

plus i listen to foreign bands so lyrics arent really important
Quote by mitchells_mom
I totally agree with LegionsOfDeath

Quote by Ovenman
Photoshop is for n00bs. Real men use MS paint.

tr00f
I really like listening to lyrics, personally. Simple music with awesome lyrics can make a kickass song.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Lyrics.

Lyrics are the most important to me, which isn't to say that I can listen to a song that has a crappy/cheesy melody. But, lyrics are what makes music so universal and how people can relate to a song.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
Combination of both. Crappy lyrics just get old and annoying, fast.

If I don't love a song, why bother listening to it when there are hundreds out there I do love?
Words and music must be so inseparably wedded to each other that they are like one. :]
(signature removed, please choose another)
For me, it goes vocals, then music, then lyrics. If the lyrics are about flying unicorns and baphemets, perfectly fine as long as the vocals are great.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by swordsrkewl
Lyrics are just icing on the cake. If you don't believe me listen to Tool. They make the music THEN write the lyrics.

But Tools Lyrics are amazing.

Mostly the music for me. As long as the lyrics aren't too cheesey.
Sig What?
Lyrics are the most unimportant aspect of music. Lyrics on their own aren't even music, simply poetry.
Music almost always. I change the question kindof to would you rather listen to just music or just lyrics and I would definately choose music.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
I love a song with well written lyrics. Death Cab For Cutie is one of my favorite bands and their music is so simple but they have some of the most well written lyrics I've seen. That's not to say the music isn't important.
Music and lyrics are both arts in themselves.

You can have each alone, and it can still be good.

But, when you combine the poetry with the music, THAT is where you make a true work of art.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
I usually listen to music with both. There are times when I can settle for one, though, but it's because the music/lyrics are very special.
I like the music that I listen to have a well balanced combo of both great lyrics and music. I think most of the "mainstream" music people are so obsessed about on the top 40 stations and such is almost designed to have "catchy" melodies and repetitive hooks, even though the bulk of the song is crap, so it pounds itself into the public's skulls so they make more money.

I prefer bands like The Cure, because Robert Smith is, IMO, one of the most brilliant lyricists I have ever heard. Have you ever read the lyrics for songs like Disintegration or The Figurehead? Its like a stream of emotions perfectly scattered yet making sense somehow in each song. You may not completely understand how he thought of something like that, or why he strung things together, but it works and gets the messages across.

Robert Smith and the rest of The Cure have created awesome music to go along with the lyrics as well, and it all just fits. That is what I think is needed to make good music. A great combo with chemistry from the band to make you believe that they really feel what they are playing their guts out to. Not just one element or another.
Quote by Haha, Crackhead
Music and lyrics are both arts in themselves.

You can have each alone, and it can still be good.

But, when you combine the poetry with the music, THAT is where you make a true work of art.

I don't think so. Some of the greatest music doesn't even have lyrics...ie. virtually all classical music. True art is where you can express things through music alone, without lyrics. If I listen to Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, the music speaks all by itself. That is true art. And I don't even really listen to classical; it simply is more impressive if you can convey a message without speaking.
easily music. half the time when you play live, the singer gets drowned out anyway and you can't hear em
Fender Jaguar Bass
Crate BT100
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Pi Big Muff
Behringer Bass Flanger

you know you're a bassist when...

you wake in the morning and your bass is in the bed and your girlfriend is on the floor
Music or lyrics.. Why the hell do you think im listening to Death Metal

Of course lyrics is a good part of the songs, but im leaning towards the instrumental part.
...What!?
The way I see it, the human voice is just another instrument, except that feeling and emotion is conveyed through words as well as phrasing, delivery etc. So delivered lyrics is still music, just in a slightly different form than from instruments. Hence why I don't find Moonlight Sonata more impressive because it has no words- it's all music, just with different components.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
The way I see it, the human voice is just another instrument, except that feeling and emotion is conveyed through words as well as phrasing, delivery etc. So delivered lyrics is still music, just in a slightly different form than from instruments. Hence why I don't find Moonlight Sonata more impressive because it has no words- it's all music, just with different components.

Very well put sir.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

This isn't about vocals. It's about lyrics which are written words. Not sounds and timbres.
A wise man once said,"The thing that makes a song great isn't the music or lyrics... it's that thing you hear in music that moves you."
Instrumental music FTW!
Quote by MTVget0FFtheAIR

"ur a fag if you don't pronounce the lightning bolt in ac/dc"

touche. who wuzzit?

Quote by lookie here
OMG! smile_man, that was amazing.
Quote by Muzikh
This isn't about vocals. It's about lyrics which are written words. Not sounds and timbres.

Lyrics without the delivery are pretty much dead, IMO. Lyrics are the marriage of the words and the vocals. Lyrics, in a way, are the same as notes from an instrument, which is what I was getting at, therefore making my views very, very relevant to the thread.
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Jul 12, 2008,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Lyrics without the delivery are pretty much dead, IMO. Lyrics are the marriage of the words and the vocals. Lyrics, in a way, are the same as notes from an instrument, which is what I was getting at, therefore making my views very, very relevant to the thread.

Lyrics = Written words
Vocals = Timbre and Notes

You can read a book without speaking out loud and have an astounding effect overall from the words written. I know what you mean by delivering the lyrics. That isn't what this thread is about.

It's about what's more important to you: powerful words or powerful sounds.

Plus, you can have music without lyrics, but have vocals nonetheless. Frank Zappa did it a lot, and damn it was great. Especially during the song "Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus" in The Grand Wazoo.
Music.

It's why instrumental shred is awesome to my ears.

But, for some bands, like early Opeth, early Cradle of Filth, and Porcupine Tree the lyrics are just...so amazing.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by Muzikh
Lyrics = Written words
Vocals = Timbre and Notes

You can read a book without speaking out loud and have an astounding effect overall from the words written. I know what you mean by delivering the lyrics. That isn't what this thread is about.

It's about what's more important to you: powerful words or powerful sounds.

Plus, you can have music without lyrics, but have vocals nonetheless. Frank Zappa did it a lot, and damn it was great. Especially during the song "Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus" in The Grand Wazoo.

I'm sorry, am I not allowed to have the opinion that lyrics encompasses both the words and the delivery or something? Lyrics are sung in a song, yes? To me, the effect of lyrics requires both the words and delivery in order to be effective, which is why I formed the opinion I have.
Quote by MedicreDemon
A combination of both if it's not an instrumental.

This.

Though I have been known to listen to bands who were lacking musically for their amazing lyrics.
Page 1 of 2