Page 1 of 2
I've become completely fed up with Vista. My laptop isn't that powerful and Vista isn't suitable for it. Plus, Vista isn't too friendly to many of the games I try to play.

I have the chance to get an XP disc from someone and use that. I just wanted to know if anyone has tried downgrading and could tell me if it made considerable improvements to their pc's performance. I'm sort of looking forward to it and wondering if it'll do the trick for me.

And is it difficult to get rid of Vista and install XP? I have all my Vista and software on a partition.
wont matter soon, microsoft is discontinuing the production of XP in the near future. as in this month or next.
You're gonna have to wipe out your hard drive, or get another one.
I have three hard drives. One has XP, another has Vista, and one has XP Media Edition.
Does that windows CD have a key though?
Make sure you have this
It's like Superman reading the teachings of Jesus. The two greatest musicians on Earth hath combined forces. I officially quit music, as it has reached it's zenith with that cover.
Quote by JewMasatFlex
wont matter soon, microsoft is discontinuing the production of XP in the near future. as in this month or next.

They have discounted it already. At least in this Country. I don't know about the US though.

Quote by Dwardom
You're gonna have to wipe out your hard drive, or get another one.
I have three hard drives. One has XP, another has Vista, and one has XP Media Edition.
Does that windows CD have a key though?
Make sure you have this

You don't have to wipe out your whole HDD. You just need to format the partition Vista is on. You can have both Vista and XP too, if you make a new partition for XP. If you do this, you will get a boot menu at start up where Vista is standard, but you can choose to boot in XP.
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
Last edited by BlisteringDDj at Jul 12, 2008,
Quote by JewMasatFlex

this is true...good luck
I didn't upgrade because it's not the smartest thing to buy new technology right when it comes out...

So many bugs...
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by Slaytanic1993
I didn't upgrade because it's not the smartest thing to buy new technology right when it comes out...

So many bugs...

Actually, Vista isn't as bad as people want it to be. You just need a PC that can handle it well. To run Vista you should have 2GB ram to run it perfectively. Vista don't have lots of bugs either, not in my experience. Everything runs as smoothly as XP to me, actually it runs better. It doesn't crash as much as XP does. It's a miracle (some might think)!
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
yeah, when a computer starts up with vista and all the usuall programs, at work (retail) if found that they usually used about 700 mb of ram, not good performance for a computer with only 1gb of ram. This can be brought down if you know how to use msconfig (easy, google it). but 2 gb or more is ideal.
"Swords, nature's hell sticks."- Trip Fisk
Quote by BlisteringDDj
Actually, Vista isn't as bad as people want it to be. You just need a PC that can handle it well. To run Vista you should have 2GB ram to run it perfectively. Vista don't have lots of bugs either, not in my experience. Everything runs as smoothly as XP to me, actually it runs better. It doesn't crash as much as XP does. It's a miracle (some might think)!

I don't care, I have a policy of wait 1 year then get it, as it leaves plenty of time for patches.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
I really don't think Vista is all that bad.
Facebook.com/Notafluke
Quote by RPGoof
I like Vista. It's just a laggy bitch if your system doesn't have enough resources. 2+GB RAM is a MUST.

I barely have one gig and mine works beautifully.
Facebook.com/Notafluke
XP is better. I downgraded. You gotta go to the BIOS and set the boot source as the cd. Pop in the XP cd and start your compy. It should all go from there, but you'll have to format a hard drive.
Top 5 Rush Songs:
1. La Villa Strangiato
2. Natural Science
3. The Main Monkey Business
4. Vital Signs
5. Subdivisions

Complete Atomic Basie by Count Basie.

Ask me shit: formspring.me/howthiswork
My friend did it and now his computer is retarded. (It supported Vista, but not XP, who would've thought?)
Quote by 'Leviathan'
My friend did it and now his computer is retarded. (It supported Vista, but not XP, who would've thought?)

Yeah you need the XP drivers if you downgrade.
I've had to reinstall Windows on my desktop machine three times now.
During boot-up you press F5 or something and it brings up some commands
It's like Superman reading the teachings of Jesus. The two greatest musicians on Earth hath combined forces. I officially quit music, as it has reached it's zenith with that cover.
I heard that swtiching the operating system voids the warranty. Does anyone know if this is true?
We spent a lifetime on the
Beaches of Normandy in vain

Quote by poopsmith666
oooh look at me, i'm clincher, internet tough guy

Quote by theBaartMan
When Nostradamus predicted badassery, he spoke of clincher09.

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
Quote by clincher09
I heard that swtiching the operating system voids the warranty. Does anyone know if this is true?

Probably.
Facebook.com/Notafluke
I have Leopard on my laptop, but I got Vista installed with BootCamp, for windows applications.

Win-win situation
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Quote by BlisteringDDj

You don't have to wipe out your whole HDD. You just need to format the partition Vista is on. You can have both Vista and XP too, if you make a new partition for XP. If you do this, you will get a boot menu at start up where Vista is standard, but you can choose to boot in XP.

Does anyone know of a tutorial of how to have both XP and Vista? I think that'd be the safe thing to try out.
I wanted to downgrade but, I went and got some ram for my laptop. And we have been happily married with 4 gigs.
No, Really vista sucks unless you have a lot of ram.
Quote by SaxMachine124
XP is better. I upgraded. You gotta go to the BIOS and set the boot source as the cd. Pop in the XP cd and start your compy. It should all go from there, but you'll have to format a hard drive.

Fixed.

But to answer the TS question, do it if you want to. Just make sure that you have a code that hasn't been used and that you have all the drivers on a flash drive or something before you updgrade to XP (also, make sure they work with XP)
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Custom (Alpine White)
Roland Microcube

Hoping to get a Strat or Tele next.
Quote by BlisteringDDj

false. I just bought a new laptop with 4 gigs ram, 2.5 ghz core 2 duo processor, and it came with Vista Home premium. It bluescreened the second day I had it, I couldn't do anything. Fortunately Dell put an image of the factory setup so I could restore it. About a week later it bluescreened again, this time only once, no permanent damage. I had previously been using XP for years and never had a problem. I want XP back, but DX10 is so pretty...

edit:
Another reason I hate vista, the stupid User account control would not let me play Mass Effect. I had to turn it off and now it yells at me to turn it back on all the time.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Fernandes Dragonfly
Peavey Valveking 112

If I could write off your murder, I'd save all of my receipts,
because I'd rather you be dead, than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year - Dethklok
Last edited by ironman45 at Jul 13, 2008,
when we first got our laptop, we switched from vista to xp. we got virus though and went back.
i never downgraded to vista in the first play so i never had a problem.

but i've upgraded to linux
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
I've written a short story concerning Vista, more specifically why you're an ignorant ****wit for hating it.

Picture this: You're going on holiday to France. You only speak English so you take an English to French dictionary to help with translation. For the purpose of this story you are Vista, the French people are the hardware and the dictionary is the software.

We know two things: You know how to read from the dictionary and repeat words to the French, and the French know how to listen to you. You want to ask for directions but the dictionary has been poorly written and you end up asking for sexual favours from an innocent bystander's mother. Whose fault is it that you get punched in the face?

The point is that Vista is a very different beast to XP. Vista has the similar rules regarding operations that XP had, but Vista enforces them whereas XP would let software do whatever it wanted with relatively few complaints [insert 'your mother' joke here].

If XP meets your requirements that's fine but please stop telling everyone who has a problem with their computer that Vista sucks. What's that, you upgraded to XP? How droll! I don't deny that there are issues with Vista (there are issues with XP too), but I'm yet to see someone reply to one of these threads with a problem directly related to Vista. Most of what I've read is down to hardware, software or user incompatibility.

Oh and for the Mac users: You're the only one who cares that you own a Mac.
Quote by MrP
I've written a short story concerning Vista, more specifically why you're an ignorant ****wit for hating it.

Picture this: You're going on holiday to France. You only speak English so you take an English to French dictionary to help with translation. For the purpose of this story you are Vista, the French people are the hardware and the dictionary is the software.

We know two things: You know how to read from the dictionary and repeat words to the French, and the French know how to listen to you. You want to ask for directions but the dictionary has been poorly written and you end up asking for sexual favours from an innocent bystander's mother. Whose fault is it that you get punched in the face?

The point is that Vista is a very different beast to XP. Vista has the similar rules regarding operations that XP had, but Vista enforces them whereas XP would let software do whatever it wanted with relatively few complaints [insert 'your mother' joke here].

If XP meets your requirements that's fine but please stop telling everyone who has a problem with their computer that Vista sucks. What's that, you upgraded to XP? How droll! I don't deny that there are issues with Vista (there are issues with XP too), but I'm yet to see someone reply to one of these threads with a problem directly related to Vista. Most of what I've read is down to hardware, software or user incompatibility.

Oh and for the Mac users: You're the only one who cares that you own a Mac.

lol, vista is a memory / CPU / GPU / HDD hungry POS thats unstable to the **** and more then likely does not follow the standards anyway.

who wants to spend all this money just to run an OS if all you want to do is listen to music and browse the web?
Quote by musical donkey
Switching from Vista to XP, on a laptop isn't easy. I did it myself. First of all you will need to change your hard drive from SATA to IDE (just go into the bios setup menu, an in one of the submenus you will still SATA highlighted and ATA right beside it not highlighted. Highlight ATA an that will let you install XP.) Now unless you have an another computer with internet access, you will need to get some drivers, and put them on a CD or a thumb driver. The difficulty of this can really wary from computer from computer. Basically the more non-name/obscure/not many people have it the less likely the XP version of a driver is available for a particular piece of hardware.

First of all you may want to check the manufacturer's site for the XP drivers, but the odds are they won't have em. But at least by looking at the drivers that are available for Vista on the site, you will be able to tell the exact name of each of the components.
You should also look in your computer's manual for such list.

The most important driver to install is the your ethernet/wireless car. That way if you miss something you will be able to download it off the internet. The sound card driver is also quite important unless you like hearing your computer make horrible beeping noises. It shouldn't be hard to get. Even if you can't find the exact driver, usually a generic driver that works with more than one of the manufacturer's cards is available. The really hard part is getting your graphics card driver. The manufacturers of mobile graphic cards are not allowed to release the drivers(atleast that's the case for nVidia), only the computer company can do that. And since they will not bother with releasing the XP version, you will have to just search the internet hoping that somebody out there actually made it.

Once you have all your drivers (there's a few more that I missed) , and backed up all your data. (and I don't mean the programs, since they will not work, I mean the music and the images and such. ) restart your computer, go into the boot menu and have it boot from the CD. You can choose to leave Vista on your computer for now, and just make a partition for XP. That's the safe bet incase you can't get rid of XP. Make sure to vista later, since it take so much space if you do get it to work.
Gear:
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
ESP EC-400
TS-9 DX
Stagg Strat-a-like
MIJ Boss CE-2
Vista is teh shat, i've never ran into any problems, im runnin games perfectly, and it looks better than XP. XP is complete garbage imo.
Quote by AtThisVelocity
Your crying like a baby to the pit....You have pretty much ruined it for yourself.
Quote by cyclobs
lol, vista is a memory / CPU / GPU / HDD hungry POS thats unstable to the **** and more then likely does not follow the standards anyway.

who wants to spend all this money just to run an OS if all you want to do is listen to music and browse the web?

A modern operating system required a modern computer. Deal with it. I agree with what you're saying - why would you want to use Vista if XP allows you to do what you want - infact I said exactly that.

Your first paragraph is pure crap. I don't even know where to begin so I'll just ask where you got this impression. If it's from first hand experience then my installation of Vista must be blessed with pixie magic. Otherwise, be careful that you don't confuse "common knowledge" with fact.
Quote by MrP
A modern operating system required a modern computer. Deal with it. I agree with what you're saying - why would you want to use Vista if XP allows you to do what you want - infact I said exactly that.

Your first paragraph is pure crap. I don't even know where to begin so I'll just ask where you got this impression. If it's from first hand experience then my installation of Vista must be blessed with pixie magic. Otherwise, be careful that you don't confuse "common knowledge" with fact.

vista doesn't need half the **** it uses,

seriouly i'm running linux that looks better with more / better effects and i'm using probably 1/4 of the hardware requirements that vista uses.

face it, vista is a dvd worth of ****
Quote by musical donkey
Page 1 of 2