What are the differences between the two? I hear great things about the duncan custom, and i'm thinking of dropping one in my hss strat. although I dont want to rule out other options. Thoughts?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
im selling a duncan custom. if your interested click my sig
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Biggest noob question of my career right here:

HSS strats use trembuckers? How did I not know this, Ive been playing one for 4 years now! I just havent ever replaced the pup.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65
Biggest noob question of my career right here:

HSS strats use trembuckers? How did I not know this, Ive been playing one for 4 years now! I just havent ever replaced the pup.

yup they do. seymour duncan refers to them as "trembuckers" but some other companys refer to them as "f-spaced"
I have a TB-11 Custom Custom

Have you been to Duncan's site yet? I ask because I just went there looking for the tone chart but couldn't find it now.

My guess is that the Cust Cust will look hot from a DC resistance perspective but I love it in my Strat. Never tried a TB-5 Custom tho.

If you want more of a vintage sound it looks like the new Alt 8 TB-14 would rock. I know Pott here has one.
Quote by Ghold125
custom custom: four conducter
custom: Ceramic bar

the custom has a four conductor too... i think you meant alnico vs. ceramic
Anyway, what do you guys like better? Im looking for more 80's metal tone. Not so much a vintage deal. Well, I dont consider 80's vintage, at least.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
I think Ghould may have nailed the big difference but since I was on there here is more on the Cust Cust. The TB-5 looks more PAF related. Basically, when I called them they pulled it out of me that I wanted a more 'brown' sound so there ya go.

from site:

application
High output humbucker for use in bright guitars. Great for pop, country, blues, classic rock and heavy rock.

description
The Custom CustomTM is our SH-5 Duncan CustomTM humbucker with an Alnico II magnet for warm and smooth highs, more midrange, and a spongier bottom end than the SH-5. It's a good choice for players who need a traditional vintage tone with increased output. Comes with four-conductor hookup cable.

complete setup
Recommended for bridge position. Often a Custom Custom is paired with a Pearly Gates for bluesy P.A.F. tones in the neck.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 13, 2008,
The custom custom sounds like a bit more what I need. Im tired of the really sharp trebly pickups that make it annoying to play up really high.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
well, mine was actually longer than 30 days and the normal policy is to send old in and they send replacement and you pay diff - if there is one. I bought my first one at GC and then called Duncan after I realized I made a mistake and I got them to do an advanced replacement which I didn't expect.