Poll: Do you use THIN, MEDUIM, or HEAVY pick when playing guitar?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you use THIN, MEDUIM, or HEAVY pick when playing guitar?
Thin
61 10%
Medium
237 40%
Heavy
294 50%
Voters: 592.
Page 1 of 4
I was wondering what the differences between thin and thick guitar picks are (besides with)
Are you supposed to use different picks for different techniques?
Do they produce different tones?
Or is it all just personal preference?

I usually use 1.5mm-2.0mm
What size do you use for guitar?

Be sure to take the poll
Last edited by royalstrat at Jul 13, 2008,
i use .88 for guitar. i used to use .73 but i have more control/accuracy with .88.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
i use 2 mm for electric just cuz i have more control and i find it more comfortable. if im playing acoustic though, i use a thin pick because the thick one muffles the strings too much, especially for strumming
its all preference
Quote by boreamor
Thousands upon thousands of people yelling "IcyHot"...

Quote by imdeth
She looks like she has triforces in her eyes...

Quote by Nakon14
*sigh* yet again, only on UG would somebody rush to their computer to tell the pit when their lives or property are in dire trouble.
I use .88s but I'm probably the only person I know who uses Dunlop Nylon picks for electric guitar. Almost as much control and attack as the green Tortex ones, but I think they're a little more dynamic when playing chords.
Peavey Valveking 112
Godin Freeway Classic
EHX Nano Small Stone
Boss DD-6
This is kind of a moot point. Such a small detail as pick thickness doesn't dictate how somebody plays, and I think that people spend too much time worrying about it. If your technique is good, it shouldn't matter.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
i use 1mm, i used to use 2mm cause i though i helped me shred faster cause it less was flexible therefore there was less time in contacct with the string.. after maybe 2 years i decided to try a 1mm and after sometime i realises i can get the same effect with it if i hold the pick close to the tip.. i can make it harden up.... and when i want to strum i can hold it further from the tip so that its more flexible when i strum... therefore the 1mm pick is more versatile than the 2mm
Last edited by To The End at Jul 13, 2008,
i think that all picks come up with the same answer to all your questions (ex. width).

its personal preference. i've used all kinds and all different widths but the best ive found are the red tortex pics and the "thin" ernie ball picks (.50mm and a bit smaller than .50).
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
I used to use Jazz III's a lot, but now use .88mm Dunlops for Electric, and .73mm for acoustic, although i'm finding a use for the .73s for electric too.
3mm stubby for electric
fender extra-heavy tear drop picks for acoustic
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
dunlop big stubby 2.0
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
I use Dunlop 1mm nylons. They have nice and chunky feel, but the nylon gives them a bit of flex and a mellower tone than Tortex and the like. Perfect for the blues-rock stuff I play.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
I either use the biggest **** I can find for picking, or the thinest, biggest(As in all around size, not thickness) pick for strumming.............

LIKE THESE MOTHERS.......
I love Foxy Shazam more than you.

▲ ▲

I use the 1 mm nylon Dunlop Match Piks. They come in a matchbox of 6.

Anyone hear about those v-picks? Are they any good?
1.03 Dunlops
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Medium with grip.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
i think it changes with how long you been playing i been playing 5 years now. I been sworn to jazz IIIs for about 2 years now. I started with the blacks, but after playing to much they get scratchy. This happens with all thicker picks they ware down faster than slightly thinner ones. Tortexes are the worth for wearing down. I then moved on to ultexes, and they last for flipping ages as well as being really grippy so you know they wont fall out your hand. Although this also means they are very slightly stick on the strings sometimes, and are unlike any other pick ive tried. Then quite recently I moved in the red jazz III teritory and I must say they are pretty darn good. They arent nearly as grippy as the ultex, so this means faster playing, but i gota concentrate more when playing live to make sure im not left stranded there without a pick! They dont wear down as fast as the black ones, but still have that super quick release. Also because they are a bit thinner they are still ideal for lead playing, but also can get that snapback needed in a pick for quick funk playing. Although for some stuff I use extremely thin picks like 0.30-0.40mm as it gives a very transparent and airy sound.

Anyway thats my two pennies
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
Quote by Varkunus
i think it changes with how long you been playing i been playing 5 years now. I been sworn to jazz IIIs for about 2 years now. I started with the blacks, but after playing to much they get scratchy. This happens with all thicker picks they ware down faster than slightly thinner ones. Tortexes are the worth for wearing down. I then moved on to ultexes, and they last for flipping ages as well as being really grippy so you know they wont fall out your hand. Although this also means they are very slightly stick on the strings sometimes, and are unlike any other pick ive tried. Then quite recently I moved in the red jazz III teritory and I must say they are pretty darn good. They arent nearly as grippy as the ultex, so this means faster playing, but i gota concentrate more when playing live to make sure im not left stranded there without a pick! They dont wear down as fast as the black ones, but still have that super quick release. Also because they are a bit thinner they are still ideal for lead playing, but also can get that snapback needed in a pick for quick funk playing. Although for some stuff I use extremely thin picks like 0.30-0.40mm as it gives a very transparent and airy sound.

Anyway thats my two pennies

That's more like two quarters... J/k. I agree. I started out liking thin picks. As I started playing heavier music, and even when I noticed a difference in sound with how hard I pick and strum, I started using medium picks. I didn't like how easily thin picks become bent, or warped.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
Quote by luke140891
I use the 1 mm nylon Dunlop Match Piks. They come in a matchbox of 6.

Anyone hear about those v-picks? Are they any good?

I just ordered some and I'll let you know what I think when I get them
Quote by cashewchaching
This is kind of a moot point. Such a small detail as pick thickness doesn't dictate how somebody plays, and I think that people spend too much time worrying about it. If your technique is good, it shouldn't matter.

The material you pick is made from has a definite effect on tone, and the shape and guage of you pick will have an effect on your picking technique, which has a huge effect on your tone. The pick isn't a small detail.

I used to use the small red Jazz IIIs exclusively a few years ago, but then they changed the material they were made form and I didn't like the tone quite as much. Then I started using the small black JIIIs, and they changed the material in them aswell. When I started having trouble finding the JIIIs, I decided to try some other picks. The Ibanez Gilbert picks were nice, the blue ones seemed to have the best sound, but they wore very quickly. Then I tryed some Clayton ultem teardrops (.94mm, quite stiff) which were terrible new, but sounded very nice when they were worn in. Then I had alot of difficult finding more of them too, so I started using the crappy new red JIIIs again. I recently bought some of the EJ Jazz IIIs, and they're actually nicer than the last few orignal JIII I have. I think I'll be sticking with them.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
.88 for electric, but i tried a Jazz III, or maybe it was a Dunlop Stubby, but i really liked it.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
well never heard of those EJ JIIIs before, but im definately gona check them out. Shame I just ordered a pack of red jazz IIIs. Just been looking anyone know a UK store which stocks the EJS JIIIs i found music123.com but its yankee so dont wana pay postage etc. Anyone know?
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
jazz III's red are my personal favorite, been using them for about 3 years now and i will never go back
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
i use Jazz 3s,

the pick you use has a definate effect on the way you play.
a heavier pick means less energy is needed to produce the same result.

Imagine hitting a church bell with a plank of wood....
now imagine hitting the same bell with a piece of cardboard from a cereal box....

thats the difference between a hard pick and soft pick
Quote by Prophet of Page
The material you pick is made from has a definite effect on tone, and the shape and guage of you pick will have an effect on your picking technique, which has a huge effect on your tone. The pick isn't a small detail.

I'm glad someone said it! Material is everything. I don't ever check pick gauge or thickness. I just grab ones that feel thick, have rounded edges ("blade" edge rounded) & don't have any surface drag. At NAMM every year, we grab 100's of free picks from numerous exhibitors, & it's funny how much the materials can differ. I hate picks that bind or stick on strings when I want to pick super fast, so I get thicker ones (pretty similar to Fender heavies) that have radiused/rounded edges & zero binding.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
I have a bunch of v picks and I must say they're pretty nice. I've used the 2.75 thick and the 1mm thick an I much prefer the thinner ones. The difference in tones wasn't really substantial to me coming from jazz IIIs, but I must say the are very comfortable and easy to grip. They feel so good to play with and don't look like they'll ever wear down. 4 bucks is a lot for one pick, but these are probably worth it.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I use heavy but I dont know why, I was in the store, saw this black pic that said HEAVY in big gold letters and was turned on...
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Tortex Jazz III 1.14, it has that awesome Tortex feel with the Jazz III shape. I love it.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I use fender Heavy picks and I like big stubbies
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by zooLemon
I use .88s but I'm probably the only person I know who uses Dunlop Nylon picks for electric guitar. Almost as much control and attack as the green Tortex ones, but I think they're a little more dynamic when playing chords.

you're not the only one, i use nylon picks too.
Page 1 of 4