Alright, so usually I wouldn't waste your time over something that I already know the answer to, but I just can't get this.

Ever since I started playing guitar, I've naturaly been a circle picker, I use my thumb and finger. Now recently I've stopped myself anchoring my wrist to the bridge of the guitar, and I have no problems with that anymore. My problem is that I've also been trying to break my habit of circle picking in an attempt to start using my wrist almost exclusively

I've been trying for 3 months, slowing everything down, playing chromatic based exercises and focusing on using my wrist. Trying to mimic Paul Gilberts picking really, but I haven't made too much progress.

It seems as though every time I try to pick at a moderate speed, I just go back to my old ways.

This is becoming extremely frustrating for me.

If anyone else has had this problem, or knows if there's anything else I could do, your help would be much appreciated.
Not a huge fan of bees
Don't force yourself to use your wrist. Then you are causing unnecessary tension. Pick as relaxed as possible. As long as you don't flail your arm about, a little movement is ok. Although picking from the wrist is the most economic (least movement), if it causes pain, it may not be the best idea.

-Start slow, use a metronome, and gradually increase speed.
See, I can pick fast enough with Circle picking, my hand just gets tired quicker. And the wrist picking isn't causing me pain, it's just that when I stop focusing on doing it, I go back to picking with my thumb and finger.
Not a huge fan of bees
Quote by Gelato
See, I can pick fast enough with Circle picking, my hand just gets tired quicker. And the wrist picking isn't causing me pain, it's just that when I stop focusing on doing it, I go back to picking with my thumb and finger.

Well, yea, that's why you start slow. So you have more time to concentrate. The faster you start playing, the more likely you are to revert without noticing it.
Quote by beadhangingOne
-Start slow, use a metronome, and gradually increase speed.

+1

Don't push yourself beyond what you are capable of. Always use a metronome and stop if you feel pain. It takes a long to time to alternate pick quickly, espescially for somebody who used to anchor. I know, I went through it too. Just focus on economical movement of both hands and syncronization between them. And also, don't just play chromatic excersices. Play as many licks as you can think of! Do single note per string excercises, 2nps, 3nps, 4nps, and as many combinations of them as you can think of. Taylor the licks to what you need to improve on. Also, don't neglect your outside picking. That's very important.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
TS - I underwent this same exact process about 7 or 8 months ago. It takes time. If you say your picking naturally reverts back to circle picking at moderate speeds, then DON'T pick at moderate speeds. Pick slowly. Unlearning habits can be frustrating. You say you can pick with your wrist when you're concentrating. So don't stop concentrating! You'll need to be at 100% concentration for a while until your brain adapts your new muscle movement patterns for it to become natural. Believe me, I know exactly what you feel like. We all go through something like this at some point or another where it just doesn't seem to click. Some of us give up and revert back to old habits. Others persevere and eventually break through. You decide.

Slow practice. Patience. Time.
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Jul 13, 2008,
Have you found picking with the wrist to be a better overall way to pick?
It seems like there are a lot of people who are trying to do the exact opposite as me, so I wonder whether it makes sense to try and pick with my wrist. I do admit though, when I do pick using my wrist, it feels a lot more controlled and even.
Not a huge fan of bees
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with circle picking, I've just tried picking using my wrist and found it to be better for me.
Not a huge fan of bees
Quote by chaffey
Hey Bairdy.
Maybe incredible arm movements are the way to go!!

that's just dumb. picking with nose is the way to go.
Thats kinda strange, Gelato. I am trying to do the exact opposite of you. I have always used my wrist for picking, and now I am trying to keep my wrist still and make it more of a thumb/forefinger thing. It is just interesting.
Stick with your wrist. You'll have more control and it will be easier to make smaller movements once you start picking up your speed. Personally, I don't see why anyone would want to pick with their fingers. But hey, that's just me.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
Ibanez JS1000
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Quote by Iron_Dude
Stick with your wrist. You'll have more control and it will be easier to make smaller movements once you start picking up your speed. Personally, I don't see why anyone would want to pick with their fingers. But hey, that's just me.

Dunno, just been watching some videos of Jimi Hendrix live, (Clapton does it a bit too)
but everytime Jimi picks a melody out his wrist is completely still and it is just his thumb and forefinger that are moving.

A friend of mine back home (who is probably the best guitarist I have ever met) does the same thing
Quote by Seryaph
Dunno, just been watching some videos of Jimi Hendrix live, (Clapton does it a bit too)
but everytime Jimi picks a melody out his wrist is completely still and it is just his thumb and forefinger that are moving.

A friend of mine back home (who is probably the best guitarist I have ever met) does the same thing

if you're a natural wrist picker it won't help you at all though. there are lots of good guitarists who pick with the wrist. most of them actually, so don't go that way if you don't do it naturally.
I can understand the TS' decision because I used to be a circle picker as well. Although there are incredible circle pickers out there I found that wrist picking was better for long picking runs. I can see the advantage in circle picking, but only when in bursts. I can't keep it up for long.
I've found picking with my wrist to be a lot more even, feel less tense and a lot easier to control. Sure, I might be able to pick faster with my fingers, but when I try to pick fast with them, they tense up and it can be hard to play long picking runs.
Not a huge fan of bees
You, my good sir, are a natural born wrist picker if there ever was one.

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
Ibanez JS1000
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Sorry for the necro-bump but i just discovered circle picking and i feel that it is great, come on, have you watched Takayoshi Ohmura? Damn he is great and he picks like that.
Here's the thing, when i play with my wrist, sometimes my arm gets sore, also my elbow and shoulder but some days ago i discovered this technique and i feel it is great! i need to get used to it but i don't see any downsides
Greetings from Mexico!
Actually a lot of Takayoshi's movement comes from his wrist, he has the same issue as Michael Angelo Batio in that because his other fingers don't move it doesn't look like he's picking from the wrist.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.