ive been playing for several years and have only exp time standing still and ecstasy a few times. interesting, when this happens, im play flawless, everythings in sync, my mind wont think up something to play that it knows my fingers cant do and it all comes out perfect

its weird, i guess this is the heart of Taoism or whatever you want to call it

pisses me off that i think i have no control over this, but i have to, its me who is doing it

the reason i bring this up, i just watched Eric Claptons, R. Johnson sessions video and he talks about being in the moment/creating music is what keeps him playing after so long. he says its about the only time hes really "in" the moment

thoughts etc?

thanks
Last edited by nauc at Jul 13, 2008,
It's 'sync,' not 'sink.'
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
What now!!??? I didn't understand a single thing you just said

ever feel like that, that times stops and you play perfect and other times you cant play worth a dam
i haven't done any drugs in at least 2-3 years and that was just weed

hardest thing ive used is acid but that was 10+ years ago
Quote by nauc
ever feel like that, that times stops and you play perfect and other times you cant play worth a dam

No, I always can't play worth a damn.

Thinking otherwise is called delusional.
Quote by nauc
ive been playing for several years and have only exp time standing still and ecstasy a few times. interesting, when this happens, im play flawless, everythings in sync, my mind wont think up something to play that it knows my fingers cant do and it all comes out perfect

I know exactly what you're talking about. First of all, be glad you've at least
experienced it. You know what to look for. IMO, it's really what playing is all
about.

Basically, you have to learn how to find your way back whenever you want.
It's possible to get there every single time you pick the guitar up. It's all about
looking inward and figuring out the puzzle that is "you".

I can probably get there more often than not, but not always. Even though I'm
not perfect at it, the frequency gets better all the time. Part of it's practice, part
of it is knowing yourself well enough to be able to find it and tap into it.

Next time it happens, do everything you can to remember. Try to map out your
"road back". You'll get better at it if you open your awareness and keep trying.
I think what you're talking about is "getting into a groove". It happens the better you are, the more it happens.
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017
I use my thumb and my johnson

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
i iz hurr tuh spek da troof abowt muzik
Quote by edg
I know exactly what you're talking about. First of all, be glad you've at least
experienced it. You know what to look for. IMO, it's really what playing is all
about.

Basically, you have to learn how to find your way back whenever you want.
It's possible to get there every single time you pick the guitar up. It's all about
looking inward and figuring out the puzzle that is "you".

I can probably get there more often than not, but not always. Even though I'm
not perfect at it, the frequency gets better all the time. Part of it's practice, part
of it is knowing yourself well enough to be able to find it and tap into it.

Next time it happens, do everything you can to remember. Try to map out your
"road back". You'll get better at it if you open your awareness and keep trying.

thanks........
08 Wine Red Gibson Les Paul Studio
yea its been happening to me lately too,
it usually happens when I am writing my own stuff not when I am practicing other peoples.
I don't know if it is because I am getting better or just in the zone, or a combination, but its pretty sweet to look at the clock and notice 2 hrs have gone by and Im like, F#$k I should be studying LOL.
Quote by ShredGod George
you obviousry racka the disciprine needed to pray it right

My Gear:
Roland Micro Cube
Schecter C1-FR
o and nice avatar by the way,
is that an RE XXX?
Quote by ShredGod George
you obviousry racka the disciprine needed to pray it right

My Gear:
Roland Micro Cube
Schecter C1-FR
Coke's a helluva drug.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I know exactly what you mean.
I love when that happens
I feel satisfied with myself guitar-wise whenever it happens.
Or maybe being satisfied causes it.
I find once I break some sort of milestone like alt. picking some intense
riff I get into that zone.
Or maybe its just that when I'm in the zone, I manage to reach those milestones
more often.

But there are also days when I feel like a fat sack of fail.
I can't pull off certain riffs, I can't write a single thing I'm satisfied with,
my tone sucks, my guitars not co-operating with me, etc.
Usually a combination of all those though.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
It's only happened to me once. So far in my year. I also believe it happened more on accident than anything else. It was truly magical. It was at a little party, everybody was having a good time me and another dude were going back and forth with improv. All of a sudden I just started going off, lost myself, I lost were I was, what my mind was going through, all of a sudden I was nowhere. By myself own little world. Honestly I can't lie to you I don't even remember what I played, notes, scales, anything, or even key wise. I just remember hearing the notes and everything perfectly with what I wanted. Then when I came back down I reopened my eyes and everybody had stopped everything and was staring at me.
The dude that I was playing with (Who has like 8 years guitar experience over me) was like "Holy ****!! What the hell was that!! That was amazing, wow!" He was the only one that said anything, he said I completely surprised him with it and he put down his guitar.

That's the only time I've been able to do that, it truly was amazing and i wish I could do it again. I guess only time will tell. but I do know exactly what you mean.

It is an unexplainable feeling really.
MY GEAR:

ESP LTD MH-50 W/ TREMOLO
ROLAND CUBE 15X
BOSS DS-2 TURBO DISTORTION
Dunlop Ultrex Jazz III
NEW: Dunlop Dimebag Crybaby from Hell
NEW: EHX: Small Clone Chorus Pedal

The first time it happened to me, it was as close to a religious experience as I'm ever likely to have. When it was over, I just sat and thought about it for a while. It was like for that brief period of time, I could play whatever I wanted. And I liked it.

Since then, I've discovered the easiest way for me to get there is to (once I'm good and warmed up) put something random on the looper and play myself into corners. By trying not to repeat myself I find that I go off on these crazy tangents that I wouldn't have otherwise. It's usually somewhere in here where my phone will ring, or I'll glance at the time and realize I've been playing a lot longer than I thought.

Good times.
"There is only one thing more beautiful than one guitar - Two guitars" Frederic Chopin
It's when I take ecstacy, coke or acid that I can't play worth a damn... I still don't understand the thread. Elaborate.
Quote by DEATHPANDA
It's when I take ecstacy, coke or acid that I can't play worth a damn... I still don't understand the thread. Elaborate.

Try railing MDMA and writing a math exam.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Try railing MDMA and writing a math exam.

I did all of my exams stoned, I can't imagine doing them on MDMA.
Quote by west nile
o and nice avatar by the way,
is that an RE XXX?

nah, its an RE HC, they dont make them anymore. id say if fits in between the SE and the XXX. i own that HC and an SE, love em both

www.reaudio.com

if you ever need subs, Fi (former big cheese of RE) has killer subs, maybe the best bang for the buck out there

www.ficaraudio.com
Last edited by nauc at Feb 25, 2009,
Quote by kOoL AiD2420
It's only happened to me once. So far in my year. I also believe it happened more on accident than anything else. It was truly magical. It was at a little party, everybody was having a good time me and another dude were going back and forth with improv. All of a sudden I just started going off, lost myself, I lost were I was, what my mind was going through, all of a sudden I was nowhere. By myself own little world. Honestly I can't lie to you I don't even remember what I played, notes, scales, anything, or even key wise. I just remember hearing the notes and everything perfectly with what I wanted. Then when I came back down I reopened my eyes and everybody had stopped everything and was staring at me.
The dude that I was playing with (Who has like 8 years guitar experience over me) was like "Holy ****!! What the hell was that!! That was amazing, wow!" He was the only one that said anything, he said I completely surprised him with it and he put down his guitar.

That's the only time I've been able to do that, it truly was amazing and i wish I could do it again. I guess only time will tell. but I do know exactly what you mean.

It is an unexplainable feeling really.

lol, thats awesome man. now go find it AGAIN!

when it happened to me, it was pure ecstasy, my whole insides felt cool like i was glowing or somethin, never felt that before. i want to feel that again and again and again...........................
Last edited by nauc at Feb 25, 2009,
Quote by strat2finish

The first time it happened to me, it was as close to a religious experience as I'm ever likely to have. When it was over, I just sat and thought about it for a while. It was like for that brief period of time, I could play whatever I wanted. And I liked it.

Since then, I've discovered the easiest way for me to get there is to (once I'm good and warmed up) put something random on the looper and play myself into corners. By trying not to repeat myself I find that I go off on these crazy tangents that I wouldn't have otherwise. It's usually somewhere in here where my phone will ring, or I'll glance at the time and realize I've been playing a lot longer than I thought.

Good times.

sweet, ill have to try that.

thanks!
Quote by nauc

All the bloody time.
It's so frustrating that, on day 1 you were doing so great, and then on day 2 you expect do to just as well, but then you suck ass. Those days really get me down. :P
But frankly I find it to be largely attributed to a bad warm up, but not always.

A funny thing I've also noticed is this:
I often get home around 6:00, and we'll have dinner between 6:00 and 7:00, so I always play my guitar until dinner is ready.
But after that I usually go on my pc to play some games with my mates.
I've had this twice now: I sucking ass while I was all concentrated on playing, but when I put on Skype and starting talking to my friends whilst playing because they needed to take a **** or whatever, I'd play better......so.....RANDOM.
Last edited by MarauderNL at Feb 25, 2009,
Quite the opposite for me. When I play guitar, time speeds up and before I know it, it's already bedtime.
You'll find this is all about feeling completely confident in what your doing whilst your doing it (this must be a complex task though). Whilst you are performing in complete confidence of your abilities and your abilities meet the standard of that held confidence this is the feeling many describe. It is also heightened by adrenaline. I used to get it playing basketball on occasions in front of a large crowd etc.

Haven't had it with guitar yet tho, haven't been playing live long enough.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Last edited by James13v at Feb 25, 2009,
Yeah, I know what you mean. Sometimes the moment just takes you and, completely irrelevant of your skill level, you sort of play beyond it. It's always special and it's what pushes me along when I'm having a lull.

Similar when on stage, time flashes by in a minute. But I've yet to enter that state on stage, I just have alot of fun and make a bunch more mistakes haha.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay