Help me build a classic rock blues rig. I play a lot of Hendrix, Clapton, SRV, Led Zeppelin, ZZ Top, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Doors, Buddy Guy, and various other blues and classic rock bands. I currently have a Fender Stratocaster and Epiphone Les Paul with Seymour Duncans SH-4 and Sh-2 installed going through a Dunlop 535Q Wah into a Peavey Valveking 212.

I was just wondering what pedals you would recommend for those styles. My budget would probably be 200-300.

I have been looking at the new Dunlop Hendrix pedals has anybody used those? Also I have tried a Boss Blues Driver and Super Overdrive together and kind of dug the sounds I got from the combo.

Thanks in advance.
yeah i've been looking at the new Dunlop Hendrix Fuzz Face and Octavia. Would the Fuzz Face be able to do other classic rock stuff along with blues?
well what is it you don't like about your tone right now? what can't it do? my guess is that since most the bands you listed use british voiced amps, you want something marshally sounding instead of that valveking. get a blackheart handsome devil or similarly priced british voiced amp. peavey classic 30 would prolly rock as well. is your strat SSS? seems like you can cover a wide range of tones w/ those two guitars so i think you just need a different amp. hard to say really cuz you're almost on the fence w/ which amp would be better. either way, the VK is just a versatile tube amp that doesn't excel greatly at any one thing.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by slash_rocks2005
well what is it you don't like about your tone right now? what can't it do? my guess is that since most the bands you listed use british voiced amps, you want something marshally sounding instead of that valveking. get a blackheart handsome devil or similarly priced british voiced amp. peavey classic 30 would prolly rock as well. is your strat SSS? seems like you can cover a wide range of tones w/ those two guitars so i think you just need a different amp. hard to say really cuz you're almost on the fence w/ which amp would be better. either way, the VK is just a versatile tube amp that doesn't excel greatly at any one thing.

valve kings are british voiced.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
yeah my Strat is SSS, well I don't have a very good overdrive/distortion. So thats one thing I was looking for, the cleans from the VK sound pretty good. Yeah I tried out a Classic 50 at a local music shop and loved the sound just don't have enough money to get one.
ahh well see IMO, i'd rather have the great distortion from the amp and great-but-not-perfect cleans. that's just ME. i'm primarily overdrive player. as long as my cleans are nice and warm a-la british voicing, i'm set.

chea_man, are you SURE a PEAVEY valve king is BRITISH voiced? i'm 99% positive they're american voiced. but now that you said that you got me wondering.....but they are american voiced i'm almost dead positive.

TS, you need to try out the blackheart line of amps as well as look at used peavey classic 30s. do you NEED that many watts? if you just need something to get over drums, look at the handsome devil as it's 15 watts. it's 7/15 watt switch is great for changing the sound a bit. the lower setting gives it more headroom and therefor better for clean tones. i can't speak for the peavey classics but i know they've got a good reputation.

but i can honestly say that the blackheart little giant (5 watt) had absolutely great tone both in clean and overdrive. even better after i upgraded the tubes

slash_edit: in case you're curious about blackheart tone, just listen to my clips. all but one are on the blackheart and all the blackheart samples are before upgrading the tubes. that'll give you an idea. i used a G-400 w/ SDs and bad monkey overdrive.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Last edited by slash_rocks2005 at Jul 13, 2008,
Quote by slash_rocks2005

chea_man, are you SURE a PEAVEY valve king is BRITISH voiced? i'm 99% positive they're american voiced. but now that you said that you got me wondering.....but they are american voiced i'm almost dead positive.

Yes, they're american, it's got 6L6's.
just having 6l6's doesnt always mean its american voiced. i find the valveking to be somewhere in between british and american
Quote by beadhangingOne
Yes, they're american, it's got 6L6's.

Seconded.

Maybe try getting a decent clean boost to dirty up the clean channel.
is this
what you're talking about and is it British voiced? I imagine I could trade my amp in for this or a Classic 30. So after that what would I need for effects?
Quote by chea_man
valve kings are british voiced.
Valvekings are British voiced in the same way that Fenders are British voiced.

You could mod one to take EL34s... But I don't think it'd be worth it.

What I would do is trade in the amp for a Classic 30, then grab yourself a Vox wah and Maxon OD9 or something similar. Fuzzes aren't totally necessary but if you've got a lot of cash to burn...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
yea it's not just the type of tubes that create the voicing but they're the majority of the sound i would think. i'm not gonna get into that b/c i am not the 'amp voicing' guru here and don't want to mislead you with wrong info. i just think it has a lot to do w/ the tube type AND circuitry.

but yea trading your amp for either a classic 30 or handsome devil would be a great idea. then all you need is an OD pedal and basic FX. wah would be important. the Vox V847a is a great sounding stock wah, that's what i use. very vintage sounding, esepcially nice on clean and mid gain. then maybe look into a reverb pedal and delay pedal.

after that you've got most tones covered anyway.

Mr. Carrot, your sig is very funny i've never noticed it before.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
so how do you think this would sound?
Strat/Les Paul --> Dunlop 535Q Wah -->Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Fuzz Face --> Boss BD-2--> Boss SD-1 --> Peavey Classic 30

Do you think the Boss pedals would sound good through the Classic 30? I tried them out together through a Fender Super Sonic and I thought they sounded real good. If not what are some better OD pedals?
Quote by slash_rocks2005
ahh well see IMO, i'd rather have the great distortion from the amp and great-but-not-perfect cleans. that's just ME. i'm primarily overdrive player. as long as my cleans are nice and warm a-la british voicing, i'm set.

TS, you need to try out the blackheart line of amps as well as look at used peavey classic 30s. do you NEED that many watts? if you just need something to get over drums, look at the handsome devil as it's 15 watts. it's 7/15 watt switch is great for changing the sound a bit. the lower setting gives it more headroom and therefor better for clean tones. i can't speak for the peavey classics but i know they've got a good reputation.

but i can honestly say that the blackheart little giant (5 watt) had absolutely great tone both in clean and overdrive. even better after i upgraded the tubes

slash_edit: in case you're curious about blackheart tone, just listen to my clips. all but one are on the blackheart and all the blackheart samples are before upgrading the tubes. that'll give you an idea. i used a G-400 w/ SDs and bad monkey overdrive.

ahh, sorry i was thinking of the peavey classic. i always get the two confused for some reason. sorry.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
^don't sweat it, simple mistake that's all.

TS, i would just use one of those two ODs really, not that two together would sound bad...but if you're gonna pull a Stevie Ray Vaughn, i'd use two of the same OD pedals. you'll get what you want w/ just one though. and as for a fuzz....maybe get a different one. usually signature pedals have more crap than you really need. ask around for some good fuzzes cuz i don't use any and don't know what would be best for you. also, i say ditch the DS-1 and keep the blues driver...prolly an overall better boost.

but for the majority it seems like you got a good plan!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
If you won't be mainly playing out:http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-Windsor-Series-Studio-Combo-Guitar-Amplifier-Amp_W0QQitemZ200237243745QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item200237243745

And even if you are playing out, it will be enough, especially for what you need it for. They're actually pretty good British voiced amps, definitely worth what they go for on ebay.