Yes, I know it's been done before. But I cant think of any more right now. I know tritones and whatnot, and I'm particularly fond of this chord:

e-x
B-x
G-x
D-2
A-0
E-1

and

e-2
B-0
G-2
D-1
A-x
E-x

Others like that, I guess is what I'm looking for (and dont tell me 'just move those shapes around!')
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
i dont knwo what type of music you are playing, but if its anything with breakdowns, i like to do this kind of thing.

do a stereotypical chug preakdown with open E power chords liek this

D-2
A-2
E-0

then switch to this

D-4
A-3
E-2

if your 6th string is dropped, you can use these

D-0
A-0
E-0

D-2
A-1
E-2
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
^Nah, not a fan of breakdowns.

Right now, I'm listening to Mirrorthrone a lot (for dark stuff), and it's really getting me inspired to write dark stuff... But I dont know many darker sounding chords.
Quote by MoogleRancha

"I AM metal"
well you can still try to experiment with that stuff. just try playing power chords and flatting the 5th.

D-7
A-7
E-5

becomes

D-7
A-6
E-5
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Burning_Angel
Yes, I know it's been done before. But I cant think of any more right now. I know tritones and whatnot, and I'm particularly fond of this chord:

e-x
B-x
G-x
D-2
A-0
E-1

and

e-2
B-0
G-2
D-1
A-x
E-x

Others like that, I guess is what I'm looking for (and dont tell me 'just move those shapes around!')

Just to name the chords for you:
Fmaj7
B7
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
There's no such thing. What's important is context.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
There's no such thing. What's important is context.

Agreed. And wouldn't that B7 be a second inversion?
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Ah, thanks.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
One of the saddest sounding chords I've ever come across would be the Am(add9) I discovered thanks to Opeth.

-------------------0----------------
-------------------5----------------
-------------------7----------------
-------------------------------------
Quote by InanezGuitars44
well you can still try to experiment with that stuff. just try playing power chords and flatting the 5th.

D-7
A-7
E-5

becomes

D-7
A-6
E-5

Yeah, I like those too. Tritone stuffs.

Also, thanks to everyone else.
Quote by MoogleRancha

"I AM metal"
Dm !!! Have none of you seen Spinal Tap...oh wait that's the saddest not darkest, nevermind!
Gibson ES335
Ibanez RG370DXGP
Ibanez SA Series
Fender Acoustic
Marshall JCM800 1-12 split channel
Quote by ouchies
Playing everynote on the fretboard.. at the same time.

lol that would rule
stuff with m2's and dim5ths. Half-diminished chords sound pretty distressing and dark.

Quote by Burning_Angel

e-x
B-x
G-x
D-2
A-0
E-1

Just curious, did you get that from battery by metallica?
Quote by zoomy74
Dm !!! Have none of you seen Spinal Tap...oh wait that's the saddest not darkest, nevermind!

That would be a key, not chord or interval.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Try adding flat 9ths or 13ths to any triad or 7th chord.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
That would be a key, not chord or interval.

How do you have a sad sounding key?
Quote by Ssargentslayer
How do you have a sad sounding key?

No one has ever failed as hard as you just did.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by beadhangingOne
stuff with m2's and dim5ths. Half-diminished chords sound pretty distressing and dark.

Just curious, did you get that from battery by metallica?

No. I believe I stumbled upon it whilst messing around with chords one day... Even though its not really diminished or minor, it still sounds dark to me... *shrugs*
Quote by MoogleRancha

"I AM metal"
Quote by Archeo Avis
No one has ever failed as hard as you just did

Mate...I know you're proud to be an ass, but that's uncalled for

reported
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Last edited by Ænimus Prime at Jul 14, 2008,
is it just me, or did UG get retarded-er over the 2 years i quit reading this garbage. DARK STUFF? do you need us to hold your hand through dissidence and chromatic + whole step scales. maybe i completely missunderstood what you wanted thread starter.
Quote by :-D

Necessary?

If it's not, the mod can ignore it. If it is, then the mod can warn him. You can't say it's a good thing to flame beginners without explaining why they're wrong.
Quote by Freepower
If it's not, the mod can ignore it. If it is, then the mod can warn him. You can't say it's a good thing to flame beginners without explaining why they're wrong.

It was just a quip made at the fact that somebody (not the TS) missed a "Spinal Tap" reference. To me that doesn't seem too bad.
Last edited by :-D at Jul 14, 2008,
Fair enough, i took it as the poster not understanding how a key would be sad, and then Archeo being rather harsh regarding his lack of understanding. I wouldn't say the post merits warning myself, but it's not up to me and i don't think we should be scared to report when we feel like it. Nuke em all and let god sort em out.
Quote by Freepower
Nuke em all and let god sort em out.

You could be an American with an attitude like that Freepower.

/stereotype

Um but anyway, to actually contribute something to this thread so I'm not just spamming... try minor add9 chords, I like the sound of them. I don't think they're really dark as such, more sad-sounding, to my ears anyway. Try doing this one:

E|-0-|
B|-0-|
G|-3-|
D|-5-|
A|---|
E|---|
sig goes here
Quote by lumpy890
One of the saddest sounding chords I've ever come across would be the Am(add9) I discovered thanks to Opeth.

-------------------5----------------
-------------------7----------------
-------------------------------------

I found that thanks to Metallica's Call of Ktulu.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls