So whats this for? The wood looks cool lol
Quote by Trefellin
Anyone with half a brain knows that Jesus is way more metal than Satan. Lucifer was the worlds very first emo.

Quote by glowinghamster4'

i just want to let you know that made my day.

Quote by Weaponized
Solid state master race
i can probably get 3-4 tops out of that if i cut it right. just random guitarness, knowing ME i will make another tele out of it, probably with black binding, that would look sexy with the red hues in the wood. its very neat, and not commonly seen, so i figure it will make its way onto quit a few bodies.
Quote by LP Addict
HEHEHEHEHEHE =D

I woulda put a bit lower on the wood :P

Where did you find this, BTW?
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by LP Addict
yeah the figure runs through it very well, i got it from a friend over in oklahoma, you meet the best contacts at north american wood shows. he gave it to me for 6 dollars.

:O 6 dollars? Good god. Dude, is there any special technique to getting figured woods, or is it just kinda hit and miss when chopping trees?
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Can you imagine how gorgeous that wood would look with a PRS style dye job? Dye it black and sand it down 3 times to get the endgrain black. then dye it a deep red... WOW, that would be an amazing looking body.
I mean a deep red, not anywhere near the color of that wood. And dying the wood isn't gonna cover the curl. You ever seen a PRS top? They are 3D looking. It doesn't cover the figure, it enhances it.
Quote by LP Addict
no need to dye it, its redwood...? i would never cover up that curl with dye anyways, its VERY holographic.

Word. It's too bad the figuring wasnt more uniform, then you could end up with a guitar like this:
http://www.carvinmuseum.com/images/playersgallery/ct6t-flamedredwood-1.jpg

Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
ive played 3 custom shop private reserve PRS guitars, the top is not curly, its very bland and does not shine when light refracts on it. neither does their quilted maple.

oh i dont really like UNIFORMness in my curl, nature isnt perfect 98% of the time, and i think that music is natural, so it works for me.
Quote by LP Addict
ive played 3 custom shop private reserve PRS guitars, the top is not curly, its very bland and does not shine when light refracts on it. neither does their quilted maple.

oh i dont really like UNIFORMness in my curl, nature isnt perfect 98% of the time, and i think that music is natural, so it works for me.

Not complete uniform, but more evenly spaced things. I have to say, with figuring as big as redwood, i almost like it more when things aren't completely bookmatched.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Even rough, I think that the redwoodhas better shimmer than that Carvin posted. All he's going to need is a little something to seal and protect. That juxtaposition of the vertical grain and horizontal shimmer is great.
Last edited by cedricsmods at Jul 13, 2008,
this wood is really really soft, the whole piece of wood weighs 1.2 pounds i think. its comparable to pine, and is sometiems used for acoustic tops i think. i will definitely need a hard lacquer finish on it. definitely satin though.
Good stuff, the figure on redwood is always stunning and that's an absolute steal at $6! If you end up getting more tops out of there than you need drop me a line, I'd love to do a build with redwood
redwood is very soft and easily dented (yesit is used in acoustic tops sometimes). It would probably be smart to use a hard finish on it or atleast something like tru oil. I like figured woods that don't look completely uniform, but still are heavily figured. this is definitely what I like the wood to look like:
Quote by carousel182
redwood is very soft and easily dented (yesit is used in acoustic tops sometimes). It would probably be smart to use a hard finish on it or atleast something like tru oil. I like figured woods that don't look completely uniform, but still are heavily figured. this is definitely what I like the wood to look like:

Me too man. How it doesnt match up perfectly. Looks neat, unless you have giant figurings (kinda like 10 tops), in that case i like it perfectly aligned more
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Last edited by kool98769 at Jul 14, 2008,