http://www.rondomusic.com/spb57fretless.html

So, I'm planning to get that and put a quarter pounder and better pots in it...maybe a few other mods later, but the bass, pickups, and pots are to be the initial investment. The way I figure it, this will be the polar opposite from my other electric in terms of tone. (the squier has half-rounds, an agathis body, and custom ultra-jazz style dimarzios)

I'm not worried too much about feel, as long as it's playable. This is solely for the tone.

So....what does UG think? Is there another way to get a good fretless P sound like this for under $200?
Nope, no sig here.
You're not gonna get a good solid fretless for under $200, agathis isn't exactly the best for your tone. I'm guessing this is the best you can do for under $200 though.

If you can rake in a couple extra dollars you can go with this.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Fretless-Jazz-Bass?sku=519637
Its much better then what you're describing to us.
I know it's not what you want to hear, but I'd honestly postpone upgrades and just get a better fretless to begin with. Sure poor fretwork won't be an issue, but tone from the wood (as ledhead pointed out), durability of hardware, overall fit and feel of the neck, and fit of the neck pocket, etc. all run a good chance of being out of wack on a cheap beastie like that.

It will suck when the duncans give you a decent sounding bass but you are uncomfortable everytime you try to play it.
I am about to rebuild a yamaha rb something or other. I bought some fender japan reissue pots, prewired on ebay for 14.95 american, i dont know if that helps, but i am excited.
At least if it is fretless, you wont get buzz. looks good for the money.
Cheaper than a squire, and probably not laminated particle board like my cort..... i am convinced!!
It appears I didn't explain this well enough....

(and some people can't read )

SX basses are excellent quality for the price. The general consensus on them is that the build quality is about even with a Squier VM, but the electronics are a bit cheaper. Fix those, and you have a very good instrument. The body is solid alder, not agathis...my other bass is agathis. (and sounds darn good TYVM) The neck is Maple with a Poly finish. The hardware it at LEAST squier quality, and that's all I need...I'll end up replacing it all eventually anyway. Like I said, this is purely for tone.

I'm not naive...the bridge will need to be fixed eventually, the body has a photo-flame, and I'll have to round the edges of the fingerboard, and the stock electronics are poop, but I've never heard anything else bad about these.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Jul 13, 2008,
I loathe SX basses, and I would never recommend buying one. However, if you want to upgrade, I say go for it. That sounds fun to me.
A maple fretless, interesting, you don't see many of them (whether there's a good reason for this I don't know).

I'm assuming you're planning on putting flatwound strings on it? In which case you probably would be wasting money on a quarter pounder, it's a high output pickup and the flatwounds' mellowness will not complement the pickup that well. Maybe look at a more classic pickup.

Otherwise, good luck.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
quarter pounder + fretless = ???
maybe to much output
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by indie-bassist
A maple fretless, interesting, you don't see many of them (whether there's a good reason for this I don't know).
I think it's 'cause of the weakness of maple wood as a standalone fretboard wood, without frets. Apparently rosewood and ebony are much easier to take care of.
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

Quote by indie-bassist
it's a high output pickup and the flatwounds' mellowness will not complement the pickup that well. Maybe look at a more classic pickup.

Would a DiMarzio Model P be better, maybe?

Quote by AboveTheBridge
I think it's 'cause of the weakness of maple wood as a standalone fretboard wood, without frets. Apparently rosewood and ebony are much easier to take care of.

I was under the impression that rosewood was softer than maple. Was I misinformed?

It's coated with Poly by the way. I think that should help...? I'm a bit of a newb when it comes to FL basses.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Jul 13, 2008,
Yeah a Dimarzio Model P would be better, my teacher has one in his 70's Precision because the old one died and it really gives him a classic Precision sound like he used to get before the previous pickup snuffed it.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Ah, sounds good to me then. I'm a bigger fan of DiMarzio anyway. Thanks!
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn

I was under the impression that rosewood was softer than maple. Was I misinformed?

It's coated with Poly by the way. I think that should help...? I'm a bit of a newb when it comes to FL basses.

Nah. An untreated rosewood fingerboard will last a lot longer than an untreated maple one. You will probably have to poly the maple to make it hard enough.

xx

EDIT: sorry didn't notice it was already coated in poly. I think it should be alright then?
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.