Page 1 of 4
people around sydney australia (anywhere else to) take a look at the moon. do any of you notice a big ring of stuff around? i was just curious to whether anyone else can see it
member of the Australia FTW! group (pm the random hero or alter bridge to join (aussies only)
The glow around it?
███
██████████
███████████
██████
████████
The Moon (Latin: Luna) is Earth's only natural satellite and the fifth largest natural satellite in the Solar System.
The average centre-to-centre distance from the Earth to the Moon is 384,403 km, about thirty times the diameter of the Earth. The Moon's diameter is 3,474 km,[6] a little more than a quarter that of the Earth. This means that the Moon's volume is about 2 percent that of Earth and the pull of gravity at its surface about 17 percent that of the Earth. The Moon makes a complete orbit around the Earth every 27.3 days (the orbital period), and the periodic variations in the geometry of the Earth–Moon–Sun system are responsible for the lunar phases that repeat every 29.5 days (the synodic period).
The Moon is the only celestial body to which humans have travelled and upon which humans have landed. The first artificial object to escape Earth's gravity and pass near the Moon was the Soviet Union's Luna 1, the first artificial object to impact the lunar surface was Luna 2, and the first photographs of the normally occluded far side of the Moon were made by Luna 3, all in 1959. The first spacecraft to perform a successful lunar soft landing was Luna 9, and the first unmanned vehicle to orbit the Moon was Luna 10, both in 1966.[6] The United States (U.S.) Apollo program achieved the only manned missions to date, resulting in six landings between 1969 and 1972. Human exploration of the Moon ceased with the conclusion of the Apollo program, although several countries have announced plans to send people or robotic spacecraft to the Moon.

Just thought that'd get you started on the moon. Merry Xmas
Quote by Ex'sAndOh's
The glow around it?

yeah the glow
member of the Australia FTW! group (pm the random hero or alter bridge to join (aussies only)
Quote by bassplaya53
yeah the glow

There's your answer.
███
██████████
███████████
██████
████████
Quote by Cryptorchild
Just thought that'd get you started on the moon. Merry Xmas

I don't know why, but I got a solid lol out of that.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

what is it?
Quote by bassplaya53
what is it?

It's the glow.
███
██████████
███████████
██████
████████
Quote by Ex'sAndOh's
It's the glow.

ohhh. god im a n00b
Quote by shreddin_frets
Its the light from the moon illuminating the sky around it

There's sky around the moon?
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
The glow around it?

yeah the glow.

There's your answer.

It's the glow.

what is it?

The glow.

I really had to laugh at that.
Yeah man, it's just the glow.
I don't know how to explain it any further.
Yes I am from Hawaii.

It's not really a great place to live..
..but fun if you're a tourist!
FoTB Duration: June 12, 2008 - July 12, 2008
It's good to be back guys.
look at any light thats bright enough and there will be a "glow" around it. its a combination of our not quite perfect vision and the light bouncing off particles in the air as it travels from the source to your eye. its just more obvious with the moon cause everything around it is completely black. just like stars that twinkle do so because our atmosphere distorts the light, and the moon sometimes appears yellow because of pollution in the air. which is why the whole moon being made of cheese came about (if you've seen that wallace and grommit episode for example) especially in places like england back in the day when dirty coal used in electricity production and industries was tainted with sulphur, giving the air a yellow tinge, which also caused acid rain, but thas a whole other kettle of fish..
Last edited by crumbedfish at Jul 13, 2008,
Quote by TheDarkestNights
Wait, is it the glow?

It's the glow.
███
██████████
███████████
██████
████████
wish i could sig this whole thread...
No endeavour rivals science in its incremental progress towards a more complete understanding of the observable universe.
The moonz don't glow! lolz, it reflects the light from the sun.... duh
Quote by thegreensquall
ok so one time i was totally wanking and then my mom walked in and my cat was in my room... she knocked first so i grabbed my cat and put it on my lap and started petting it to cover up but then i jizzed on my cat..
Quote by nikhil101
The moonz don't glow! lolz, it reflects the light from the sun.... duh

ORLY Mister Astrology man? How do you know that the government hasnt built a nuclear powerplant INSIDE THE MOON and the glow is radiation?
The glow around it?

yeah the glow.

There's your answer.

It's the glow.

what is it?

Yeah man, it's just the glow.

I don't know how to explain it any further.

Wait, is it the glow?

I'm not sure, but i have a feeling it might be the glow...
It's the glow.

Are you sure its not a light?

so have we gotten past the fact that its glow yet?

The moon is overrated.

I want to sig this so bad!
Quote by shreddin_frets
ORLY Mister Astrology man? How do you know that the government hasnt built a nuclear powerplant INSIDE THE MOON and the glow is radiation?

Just leave me alone! How could the use the moonz for such purposes!!! I like the moonz...
Quote by thegreensquall
ok so one time i was totally wanking and then my mom walked in and my cat was in my room... she knocked first so i grabbed my cat and put it on my lap and started petting it to cover up but then i jizzed on my cat..
Quote by shreddin_frets

I believe the word you're looking for there is 'Astronomy'.
we must all worship The Glow!

=) There's no one who knows what it actually is but you should all give all your guitar gear to me or else it'll probably kill us all!

cool thread
Quote by shreddin_frets
Its the light from the moon illuminating the sky around it

The moon doesn't have light, it just reflects it.
Quote by Damo182
The moon doesn't have light, it just reflects it.

So it's the Sun's glow?
look at any light thats bright enough and there will be a "glow" around it. its a combination of our not quite perfect vision and the light bouncing off particles in the air as it travels from the source to your eye. its just more obvious with the moon cause everything around it is completely black. just like stars that twinkle do so because our atmosphere distorts the light, and the moon sometimes appears yellow because of pollution in the air. which is why the whole moon being made of cheese came about (if you've seen that wallace and grommit episode for example) especially in places like england back in the day when dirty coal used in electricity production and industries was tainted with sulphur, giving the air a yellow tinge, which also caused acid rain, but thas a whole other kettle of fish..
Quote by crumbedfish

So it's the glow?
Quote by crumbedfish

So our moon is a bright light?
Page 1 of 4