ok, i know how to play the notes below, the problem is, on a guitar with some distortion, even picking very lightly allows the notes to ring out and start feeding back. ive tried to mute the notes, but it gives it too much of a clipped sound, whereas it sounds like it should be allowed to ring.

e - 0
a - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
d - - - - - - - 2 - - - - -2
g - - - - - 2 - - - - -2
b - - - 1 - - - - -1
e - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

so, would i do as i have been doing so far and picking the note, then muting, and then moving to the next note, or what?
Well, the obvious answer is, turn your distortion down or stop driving your amp so hard (overdrive). You never need to be using as much overdrive or distortion as you think you do. Every single person over-estimates how strong their effects need to be.

As far as muting goes, it depends on what it's supposed to sound like. Sometimes notes are supposed to ring out, so muting will sound wrong. On the other hand, sometimes notes are meant to be muted, so letting them ring will sound wrong too. Without knowing exactly how it's supposed to sound, nobody can really tell you the best way to play it.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
i dont have a lot of distortion - i use a peavey bandit 112, and on the high gain channel, using the modern setting my eq is - pre gain - 3, bass 4, mid 7, treb 7, post gain just under 1 (i use it in my bedroom - i cant have it that loud) no effects - just guitar and amp

its meant to sound like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TaRTuRkV0o&feature=related
Quote by CobenBlack
i wasn't sure if he didn't mute because he used an acoustic - i dont know why that would make a difference, but . . . i dunno.

There's your answer then...use the clean channel.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
lift your fingers off the frets right after you pick them
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
Quote by CobenBlack
well surely there is a way to play it without just using a different channel? isn't it kind of cheating just using a clean setting? its still gonna ring out

I don't follow you.

It was originally played on an acoustic guitar, therefore it was written with the sound of that instrument in mind...the clean channel of your amp is closer to that sound than the distortion channel so you're better off using that. Why would that be "cheating"?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i dont mean getting the sound of it would be cheating - i mean that the fact that when i play it - if i played it on an acoustic, it would still be feeding back - the problem would still be there, it would just be that i couldn't hear it due to the fact that i was using an acoustic

shouldn't it be possible to play it on an electric using a method of muting or damping or something whereby it didn't make any exces noise?
Quote by CobenBlack
i dont mean getting the sound of it would be cheating - i mean that the fact that when i play it - if i played it on an acoustic, it would still be feeding back - the problem would still be there, it would just be that i couldn't hear it due to the fact that i was using an acoustic

shouldn't it be possible to play it on an electric using a method of muting or damping or something whereby it didn't make any exces noise?

No, you're missing the point; the reason it sounds like arse is because overdrive causes different overtones to sound louder when notes sound together, it wouldn't be feeding back on an acoustic because those overtones are much quieter so ti sounds pleasant. Play it clean or on an acoustic and it will sound as you want it to and it won't be cheating.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.