Page 1 of 2
This is in regards to all XJ frets such as the hellraiser and half of the ESP guitars... why does the fretboard wood matter? you... dont touch it? how is ebony "faster" then rosewood? thats my question.
i have no clue...
"I'm gonna put a curse on you and all your kids will be born completely naked" - Jimi Hendrix
I dont feel any difference. And this is the first time i heard that ebony should be faster than rosewood. It's just looks. Some people say taht they hear differences from different fretboards but i personally don't hear any.
Quote by stinger12345
It even says "High Quality" in the title, so you KNOW it's quality
better tone , longer sustain .
Unfinished necks dont get dead skin and dirt stuck on them and therefore makin it slower.
finished necks can be clogged with gunk and just be unpleasureable to play
It's kinda like body woods, but the main difference is between maple and the rest as far as standard guitars go. Maple does sound a bit brighter, and it is noticeable, but I wouldn't worry too much, it's only with a direct comparison one after the other that you'll find it audible.
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Quote by professorlamp
better tone , longer sustain .
Unfinished necks dont get dead skin and dirt stuck on them and therefore makin it slower.
finished necks can be clogged with gunk and just be unpleasureable to play

he means the fingerboards not the neck....
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
slightly different tone, slightly different sustain
and im not completely sure... but some woods are harder, meaning that they last longer, but since theyre harder so they can feel less comfortable to play on (something like that i think)
you'll get a better answer from people much more knowledgeable in the guitar building & customizing forum on here.
They contribute to tone and sustain, and overall playability.
Listen to a strat with a maple neck, then listen to another guitar with a rosewood neck.
It may not sound like a big difference, but it contributes a bit.
they affect tone a bit, and feel.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Rosewood fretboards are harder and more dense than maple, which is a softer wood. IMO, rosewood has has better sustain and tone. However, a lot of people don't like the look of a darker fretboard, so go with maple anyways. It's also somewhat softer on your fingers, and playing the different woods is definately noticable. However, I firmly believe rosewood > maple
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Well i didn't know they felt much different till a few days back, play some different guys and find out yourself
Manchester United
Rosewood and maple feel drastically different, but I don't think I've ever played a guitar with an Ebony F/B.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Shabalaba
Well i didn't know they felt much different till a few days back, play some different guys and find out yourself

i dont understand... you dont touch the fretboard... how... how do they feel different... when... you dont... touch them....
no effect on tone. strictly feel/appearance. if the guitar is built RIGHT there will be NO difference in feel, but tell that to leo fender and gibson. they dont sand to a high enough grit on the fretboards, that **** should be a mirror!
First XJ frets are fret wire not fret board.
Fret wire makes a difference in sound, for example. stainless are extremely bright, nickel silver sound the best in my opinion (the xj is more the size of fret wrie)

rosewood is way cheaper than ebony. also ebony is harder to do a fret job on becuse its not a rugged as rose wood. wit that being said ebony will actually last longer on a guitar. ebony has a better tone, and feels better (is smoother and faster) than rose wood.

If a guitar has rosewood its usually because companies are trying to save money in the fretting job, and rosewood is in just general cheaper.

IMO theres no substitute for ebony.
my gear:
Jackson Roads Pro
Gibson Explorer Pro
Fender American P-bass
Squire P-bass
Fender rumble 300 bass amp
Peavey 6505 head
Marshall special edition red cab
Quote by Epic_chef
i dont understand... you dont touch the fretboard... how... how do they feel different... when... you dont... touch them....

yeah why wont someone answer his actual question instead of putting in their 2 cents on whats the best neck/fretboard wood...

ive played rosewood maple and ebony and some one i dont know the name of on this handmade tele and all i got to say is the only thing the made a difference for me besides aesthetics was just actually the build and shape and finish on the actual neck where your palm rest if you're holding it correctly with your thumb over the top xD or where your thumb rest when your sweeping or whatever
Jackson DK2M Dinky Pro W/ EMG 81/85 18v Black
ESP LTD EC-1000 W/ EMG 81/60 See Thru Blue
Schecter C-1 HellRaiser W/ EMG 81TW/89 Black Cherry
Peavey 6505 W/ 2x12 V30
Quote by LP Addict
no effect on tone. strictly feel/appearance. if the guitar is built RIGHT there will be NO difference in feel, but tell that to leo fender and gibson. they dont sand to a high enough grit on the fretboards, that **** should be a mirror!

no there is deff feel involved, and tone too.
no matter what wood it is its going to sound different than another wood
even if its the same kind of wood, if it comes from two different places in the world it will sound wood (ex African and Honduran mahogany)

for the most part ebony is superior in sound, with the exception of les pauls, they dont sound the same with ebony fretboard (i dont like lp's sound)

ebony has a much tighter grain than rosewood therefor it has a smoother fell, so if you sand them both down to 3000 grit sandpaper the bony will feel better.
my gear:
Jackson Roads Pro
Gibson Explorer Pro
Fender American P-bass
Squire P-bass
Peavey 6505 head
Quote by keabler
First XJ frets are fret wire not fret board.
Fret wire makes a difference in sound, for example. stainless are extremely bright, nickel silver sound the best in my opinion (the xj is more the size of fret wrie)

rosewood is way cheaper than ebony. also ebony is harder to do a fret job on becuse its not a rugged as rose wood. wit that being said ebony will actually last longer on a guitar. ebony has a better tone, and feels better (is smoother and faster) than rose wood.

If a guitar has rosewood its usually because companies are trying to save money in the fretting job, and rosewood is in just general cheaper.

IMO theres no substitute for ebony.

everything you said besides stainless steel being bright is completely a matter of your opinion and personal preference
Peavey 6505 W/ 2x12 V30
Quote by ash_attack
everything you said besides stainless steel being bright is completely a matter of your opinion and personal preference

so your saying that its an opinion of weather or not woods sound different?
or just an opinion on sound which is true but the are common accepted "preferences"
like basewood sounds worse than mahogany

the fact of the matter is, is that every one weather you want to believe it or not has been conditioned to like certain tones (from society saying that les pauls sound amazing, or that prs's have great tone) so it is preference but, its not as much individual as one would think

but this can be applied to every thing, every one is conditioned to like certain things thats how a society works thats why its advantageous for a society to promote conformity.
my gear:
Jackson Roads Pro
Gibson Explorer Pro
Fender American P-bass
Squire P-bass
Peavey 6505 head
Quote by keabler
no there is deff feel involved, and tone too.
no matter what wood it is its going to sound different than another wood
even if its the same kind of wood, if it comes from two different places in the world it will sound wood (ex African and Honduran mahogany)

for the most part ebony is superior in sound, with the exception of les pauls, they dont sound the same with ebony fretboard (i dont like lp's sound)

ebony has a much tighter grain than rosewood therefor it has a smoother fell, so if you sand them both down to 3000 grit sandpaper the bony will feel better.

no, almost all of this is incorrect. get some wood and start sanding, you will find you are very wrong.

and stainless steel frets make no difference in feel or tone, already been through this, pwned everyone, do a search.
Quote by keabler
so your saying that its an opinion of weather or not woods sound different?
or just an opinion on sound which is true but the are common accepted "preferences"
like basewood sounds worse than mahogany

the fact of the matter is, is that every one weather you want to believe it or not has been conditioned to like certain tones (from society saying that les pauls sound amazing, or that prs's have great tone) so it is preference but, its not as much individual as one would think

you just proved my point

im not saying its a preference that it sounds different then i would sound as stupid as you

but to say that BASSwood sounds WORSE then mahogany is preference

and what the hell kind of facist nazi are you? people have to be conditioned to like tones because you like them? zig heil
Peavey 6505 W/ 2x12 V30
Quote by LP Addict
no, almost all of this is incorrect. get some wood and start sanding, you will find you are very wrong.

and stainless steel frets make no difference in feel or tone, already been through this, pwned everyone, do a search.

i have, my uncle is a luither, and he has taught me lots of stuff, even though right after you sand it it might feel smooth, after a little bit of playing, and when the oils from your hands work into the wood eventually the untightness of rosewood will show through.
my gear:
Jackson Roads Pro
Gibson Explorer Pro
Fender American P-bass
Squire P-bass
Peavey 6505 head
Quote by keabler
ebony has a better tone, and feels better (is smoother and faster)

i know XJ is the size of the frets, and when theres XJ frets... your fingers don't touch the fretboard?

Back to my question, how is Ebony "faster"?
Quote by keabler
i have, my uncle is a luither, and he has taught me lots of stuff, even though right after you sand it it might feel smooth, after a little bit of playing, and when the oils from your hands work into the wood eventually the untightness of rosewood will show through.

oh goodness, another x/tahula
my mom does hair so im a hair genius

GTFO
Peavey 6505 W/ 2x12 V30
Quote by Epic_chef
i know XJ is the size of the frets, and when theres XJ frets... your fingers don't touch the fretboard?

Back to my question, how is Ebony "faster"?

since ebony is so incredibly dense it just has a smoother surface, but like you said you dont touch it unless you abuse your guitar and like to bend your strings out of tune, or have a fretless
Peavey 6505 W/ 2x12 V30
Quote by keabler

your uncle doesnt use what i use, it elimanates surface grain, turning the wood into a glassy appearance, since there is no surface grain, it is inable to absorb much oils, other than the ones i already put into it. yeah if you sand it to 320, both are going to feel kinda crummy, ebony might be better because there are no big grains, but then again, if thats the case, ebony would feel just like maple.

oh and my cousins step nephews daughters twin sisters niece works at gibson, she told me so.
http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/ProductSpotlight/GearAndInstruments/Gibson%20Tone%20Tips_%20Frets/
one article that says stainless are more harsh

first article on google
http://www.edroman.com/techarticles/stainlessfrets.htm
also says stainless are brighter

i have played stainless, and i can hear the difference, i mean its physics a harder metal will have tighter molecules, so higher frequencies will travel through it better producing a brighter sound, and nickel silver has loser molecules evening out the frequencies that propagate through them more easily.
my gear:
Jackson Roads Pro
Gibson Explorer Pro
Fender American P-bass
Squire P-bass
Peavey 6505 head
Quote by LP Addict
your uncle doesnt use what i use, it elimanates surface grain, turning the wood into a glassy appearance, since there is no surface grain, it is inable to absorb much oils, other than the ones i already put into it. yeah if you sand it to 320, both are going to feel kinda crummy, ebony might be better because there are no big grains, but then again, if thats the case, ebony would feel just like maple.

oh and my cousins step nephews daughters twin sisters niece works at gibson, she told me so.

you use grain filler on a fretboard?
my gear:
Jackson Roads Pro
Gibson Explorer Pro
Fender American P-bass
Squire P-bass
Peavey 6505 head
i think this semester im going to run some experiments on nickel and stainless frets in the physics lab, because they have to produce different frequencies because they are two different materials. but i want to see the frequency response, and maybe they arent that different.
my gear:
Jackson Roads Pro
Gibson Explorer Pro
Fender American P-bass
Squire P-bass
Peavey 6505 head
Quote by LP Addict
the type of strings you use matter more than your frets, nickel/silver strings, or steel strings. your frets are buried in wood, which elimates the tone-factor of frets.

i will agree that things like fret wire, and fretboard, arent the biggest components to tone, but every thing makes a difference,

maybe i dont know any thing but it just seems to me that since the fret is the point of contact it would make a difference.
my gear:
Jackson Roads Pro
Gibson Explorer Pro
Fender American P-bass
Squire P-bass
Peavey 6505 head
the fact that my uncle is a luther makes him more qualified to teach me about guitar building, so it doesnt make me an expert, but the information i receive from him is probably going to be on the reliable side.
my gear:
Jackson Roads Pro
Gibson Explorer Pro
Fender American P-bass
Squire P-bass
Peavey 6505 head
Quote by Iron_Dude
Rosewood fretboards are harder and more dense than maple, which is a softer wood. IMO, rosewood has has better sustain and tone. However, a lot of people don't like the look of a darker fretboard, so go with maple anyways. It's also somewhat softer on your fingers, and playing the different woods is definately noticable. However, I firmly believe rosewood > maple

nope, maple is the more dense harder wood. i prefer the slightly brighter tone of maple but the softer feel of rosewood. the tone difference is so subtle eric johnson only says "it sounds a bit different", so its not really worth worrying about the tonal differnces.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
i dont think it can make a huge difference..maybe sustain or something but if you take the exact same guitar and swap the neck, it won't make it sound like a whole different guitar...just a little different...i personally don't think it matters.
Quote by LP Addict
the string is also on the fretboard wood, the nut, the tuner, the bridge, your pick, your finger, your guitar body as well.

and picks, and nut material, and tuners, and bridges make a difference, im sure even the fat content in your finger makes a difference too even if the difference is less than audible, but in the end little things can add up.

i guess im a person that likes every thing to be right, and if your going to build or buy your dream guitar shouldnt you push every thing in the right direction by using materials that will lend themselves to what your tone goal is

and i have witnessed gibsons thirst for money before,
not to mention their ridiculously overpriced guitar of the month
my gear:
Jackson Roads Pro
Gibson Explorer Pro
Fender American P-bass
Squire P-bass
Peavey 6505 head
Quote by dbl93100
i dont think it can make a huge difference..maybe sustain or something but if you take the exact same guitar and swap the neck, it won't make it sound like a whole different guitar...just a little different...i personally don't think it matters.

most of that stuff is just subtle differences but if your going to spend say 2000 on a guitar why not make it perfect.

usually maple fretboard are finished so they will be smooth no matter what, but they dont have that nice soft feel that i like though
my gear:
Jackson Roads Pro
Gibson Explorer Pro
Fender American P-bass
Squire P-bass
Peavey 6505 head
Page 1 of 2