Hi guys, I bought an American 1992 22-fret Fender Jazz Bass 2 months ago and I absolutelty love it. But, one thing I have noticed is that my strings are very high above the fret board and I think this is due to the fact that my neck has a strong bend in it. I'd like to straighten it a bit so my strings get closer to the fret board, alowing me to play a bit faster.
How can I do this?

Cheers!
You just have to adjust the truss rod.

Lefty loosy, righty tighty haha.

I don't think its that risky because I've done it many many times to my basses and their all fine. Just remember that it a little adjustment can bend it more that you think.
My Bass Rig (Since Everyone does this)
Fender Jazz 5 String
4x10 Hartke Transporter Series
Behringer BX4500H Ultrabass Bass Head (Changing to a Hartke 5500)

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/morningnj
Quote by asthebearsets
You just have to adjust the truss rod.

Lefty loosy, righty tighty haha.

I don't think its that risky because I've done it many many times to my basses and their all fine. Just remember that it a little adjustment can bend it more that you think.

This
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Plant the bass in front of you and put the proper sized allen key in the little slot at the head stock. Turn it to the right a half or three quarter turn. Let it sit for a half hour or so and see where the action and bend is at and then make any further adjustment. I would say about a half or 3/4 turn every half hour to an hour when tightening just to be really safe, especially if it's your first time. Don't make too many adjustments in a day because the neck can only do so much bending back and it will settle over night.
A full set up is what you need methinks, inclusive of truss rod adjustment, saddle height and string length- when you start messing around with your truss rod, you knock the intonation out of whack. The truss rod is much more about relief than it is string height. Read the FAQ or get a professional.
I've always wondered, is there a specific relief that is best for the neck? I only ask because I generally adjust the truss the be as straight as possible with only a very little bit of relief because it seems to be better playing.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Plant the bass in front of you and put the proper sized allen key in the little slot at the head stock.

some /most MIA's have the truss adjustment nut at the body end of the neck.
a nice bass like that deserves a pro set-up. my shop will do a set-up for $25 or $30,
if i buy some new strings. they will install the new strings, and give it a good look over, and adjust the truss, string height, and set the intonation. most shops use a strobe tuner to set the intonation, they are very accurate and expensive. to learn
more check out the FAQ, and here.
http://www.tunemybass.com/bass_setup/
If there is a bend and you don't feel comfortable fixing it then bring it to get set up. However, some basses when u buy em new come with a manual on maintenance and you might be able to use that to adjust the neck bow. To adjust the string height though - adjust the bridge.
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
I always loosen the strings off a bit, and only adjust 1/4 of a turn at a time. Then after retuning and playing, maybe adjust once more, but never more than 2 a day, and i give it at least 24hrs to settle back down. I was told by a guitar tech to do it that way, dunno why, but i have done it with all basses i have built or bought. Also fretting the first fret, and the last and seeing how much movement there is at about the 5th fret to make sure it isn't too close.
What if you have room for 2 credit cards? I want to adjust mine but dont want to make it worse, or have the next twist (if possible)
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
that's just what they do.
there's probably humans doing the same thing.
quit being so paranoid.