So about a year ago i picked up a deal on ebay for a bc rich ironbird. I think it was one of the low end models, but hey it was cheap and the guy threw in an EMG-81 and a crybaby wah.

Anyway, the guitar is similar to this:
http://www.guitar.com.au/guitars/electric/bc_rich/platinum_ironbird.htm

But it has a reverse headstock, missing the neck pickup (the guy just threw in the EMG-81 into the bridge), it has an alder body i think (it's actually the model below the one in that site) and a basic synchronized (fender-like) trem as opposed to the one seen in the link.

I was thinking of doing up this guitar as a project, make it look like some kinda crazy mick mars 80's kinda guitar. Put in a floyd rose trem (possibly an ibanez or a schaller one), either another EMG-81 or an EMG-85 in the neck, slap a different finish on it. I haven't bought anything for this guitar as of yet.

My questions:
1) If anyone has this kind of guitar would it be worth putting all this money/effort into it? I mean the EMG-81 and crybaby wah at new prices would be worth the amount I paid for the whole package, so it's not really a big loss if the body turns out to be worthless.
2) Would a floyd rose trem fit into a synchronized trem slot without routing?

Cheers
Hmm interesting. I don't really want to spend extra on routing. I could put in a G&L type double fulcrum vibrato, but i don't know if that would need routing as well.

Does anyone else know of any kind of tremolo that would give good tuning stability while still being able to do decent dive bombs (up and down) and other whammy tricks?
Quote by goony
Hmm interesting. I don't really want to spend extra on routing. I could put in a G&L type double fulcrum vibrato, but i don't know if that would need routing as well.

Does anyone else know of any kind of tremolo that would give good tuning stability while still being able to do decent dive bombs (up and down) and other whammy tricks?

Maybe a super Vee?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
third super vee
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
if i was you id mod it. ironbirds are sexy as hell and the one you have could be made good with some time and effort
Whoa i had a look at that super vee thing, looks pretty ace (a bit expensive too )

Looks like a pretty good alternative though. I'll probably order one of these and do up the ironbird, or keep scouring ebay for another cheap guitar with a floyd in it (but for the price of a super vee + postage + accessories would be another $300, so i'll have to get really lucky).

Thanks for the pointers.