Hi guys. I literally just got hold of an Epiphone SG and a crappy looking Marshall amp. I also have some picks. Basically i have a summer (3 months) in which i want to teach myself the basics of playing the guitar. I can't really afford lessons so that's out of the question really. Any advice as to where i should start? Maybe some good websites or techniques? Thanks for reading!
Try ultimate-guitar.com ...

Serously though there are some good lessons and alot of songs for you to learn here.
+1 to first post, UG is great really. I learned from tabs of songs i liked for about a year, and then I got a really good teacher and went from there. I might recommend a teacher, but it's also great to teach your self.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Self taught ftw!!!

My advice is, find a song that you 1) Want to learn how to play, 2) Are willing to hear it 50 million times in the process of learning it. Repeat that for a couple of months with various songs you want to learn how to play - hopefully you'll have picked up on a few techniques in that time, and then you'll start getting pretty decent at guitar
OK cool, thanks guys. I'm gonna start with Exit Music by radiohead and see how i get on.
Quote by dmei201
Hi guys. I literally just got hold of an Epiphone SG and a crappy looking Marshall amp. I also have some picks. Basically i have a summer (3 months) in which i want to teach myself the basics of playing the guitar. I can't really afford lessons so that's out of the question really. Any advice as to where i should start? Maybe some good websites or techniques? Thanks for reading!

Give the site I've posted a link to below a try. You'll want to be watching the videos by Peter Vogl. He's very good at teaching guitaring from the bare bones basics like how to tune one up all the way to very advanced techniques. Hell, I even go back and rewatch some of his vids to use them as refreshers. Happy strummin'!

http://www.freeguitarvideos.com/
Learn the basic chords, learn some scales, learn music theory, and Learn some easy songs. All can be found in the lessons page.