Having spent a few weeks refinishing my old Squier Strat all I had left to do was to apply the clear coats.

I'd read that automotive lacquer was good but not very tough and that polyurethane was the way to go. So, I went out and bought a can of PlastiKote Clear Gloss Polyurethane Varnish. I checked their website and it said it was non-yellowing. Great i thought.

So yesterday morning i applied the first coat and noticed in a couple of spots i'd put it on a little bit wet and got some runs. The runs were yellow!!

I left it a few hours then sanded the runs out and applied a second coat. It was only then that I realised that it wasn't just the runs that were yellow. The whole guitar now had a yellow tint (and more runs despite erring on the dry side).

My question is: how do i removed fresh polyurethane? should i leave it a month for it to cure so it doesn't gum up the sandpaper, or is it better to do it while it's still soft? Any other suggestions?
Please help.
Last edited by cjthompson321 at Jul 13, 2008,
while i dont have any experience with this problem, I have heard of this before. When you apply the poly, it has a yellow tint, but when it cures it dries clear.

check the company website for removal suggestions
Gear:
Fender Deluxe American Fat Strat
Fender American Telecaster
Taylor 714ce
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender Champion 300
Macbook Pro
Many times with that type of poly once you get up under it, it will peel off in sheets.