so can anybody explain to me the differences, advantages and disadvantages of different tremolo systems?

Thanks
Daniel
I don't know much, but I'll tell you what I do.

Non-locking tremolos, you can't really do much with them without killing your tuning, so if you're looking to do anything really interesting with a tremolo don't go for them.

Floyd Roses have a big thumbs up from me; played on a couple of guitars with them and they sound great, and stay in tune as well. However, I've heard that they're horrid to set up.

No idea about other locking tremolos; never used one.
I can't go with anything but a Floyd Rose after years of using nothing else. Stays in tune even with extensive tremolo use and it allows you to really set your bridge just the way you want it. It might be technically advanced, but learning how to set them up isn't all that hard. If you spend an hour or two reading and testing the first time around, I can almost guarantee that you will have no future problems making adjustments, tuning or restringing.
As long as you not doing dive bombs and those kind of crazy stuffs non-locking tremolo would work fine...
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Strat tremolo's are non locking, they are great for a bit of vibrato, but aren't that stable tuning wise after a while of whammying
Floyd Roses's are locking, they use locking nuts at the headstock to secure the strings, all of teh crazy dive bomb noises and such come from these. But like everything, cheap ones are bad (licensed floyds, so look our for originl floyd roses.). The main disadvantage is the locking/floating, you cannot change tunings much at all or it will unbalance the tremolo.
Last edited by joeymaxx at Jul 13, 2008,
Well you defiantly don't have the same range of a floyd style vs a vintage style/strat style. Most of the strat style are set divebomb only and sit on the body. Strat style don't lock so you need to get locking tuners and a roller nut helps with them. All my guitars have floyd style now. I am still trying to get a hardtail just to play with different tunings. The only ones I use are OFR/Original Edge. I think both of them quality wise are the same.
strat-style trems are good for vintage vibrato, but don't stay in tune all that well (nor are designed for) extreme whammy abuse.

floyds are great for extreme whammy, but aren't as good for subtle vibrato (and some people don't like the tone of them as much either).

wikinsons (and similar), combined with locking tuners, are kind of in-between.

it really depends what you're after.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
floyds are great...................but how many threads here are "i need help floyd rose problem" or "locking trem will not stay in tune" a double locker is not always the beat all end all. for certain not for a newer guitar player. and they can be a PITA. but when done right they are the best thing since sliced bread.
Quote by Dave_Mc
strat-style trems are good for vintage vibrato, but don't stay in tune all that well (nor are designed for) extreme whammy abuse.

floyds are great for extreme whammy, but aren't as good for subtle vibrato (and some people don't like the tone of them as much either).

wikinsons (and similar), combined with locking tuners, are kind of in-between.

it really depends what you're after.

+1 to this, this is what i would have put, except if you are to add some locking tuners on a strat it stays in tune fine
Manchester United
steinberger trems (R trem, S trem, and trans-trem) stay in tune for a long time, have decent range, and can be restringed and retuned in a couple minutes, but they cost around 200-1000 dollars and are pretty much limited to steinberger-like guitars and project guitars.

Kahler bridges are pretty good too, but expensive.
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
Quote by Shabalaba
+1 to this, this is what i would have put, except if you are to add some locking tuners on a strat it stays in tune fine

if you properly string a strat it in tune very well.
if you get a tremolo you probably want a floyd rose. make sure it is original too
originals are made from hardened steel to tighter tolerances which results in better sound and more sustain.

If you dont have a very high quality guitar its not the biggest deal in the world because you have more important problems (like wood type), but in my opinion and experience floyd rose tromelos are the best, an if you have a non recessed i suggest you get a tremsetter so when your tromelo has no tension from the strings on it, it wont smash into your guitars finish.
my gear:
Jackson Roads Pro
Gibson Explorer Pro
Fender American P-bass
Squire P-bass
Fender rumble 300 bass amp
Peavey 6505 head
Marshall special edition red cab