Does anyone know of some good sounding pickups for classic rock/hair metal music. Pickups with a hot low end, but the capability to scream. Also how are EMG H4As or whatever they're called.
Quote by CorduroyEW
80's hair bands were all about the super distortion.

dimarzio super distortion hands down on this one. i take no bias to pickup companies but dimarzio nailed it on this one.
Depends on which 80s band guitar sound you want. EVH is alot different sounding than Warrant, Slaughter, Winger and Europe etc.... I think though that a stock Charvel and Jackson pickup from the 80s is what you're looking for.
"Stock pickups?" Oh My God, say it aint so!!!!! : ) lol
^many guitar companies in the 80's were using DiMarzio Super Distortions as their stock pickups. Most of the asian companies used them as well as many American ones.
Not taking any online orders.
+1 to the super distortion

you might also want to have a look at the tone zone.
look for some shaller humbuckers
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
80s metal definitely used Super Distortion.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
I got the Super Distortions, but I still can't find the sound I'm looking for. It's still kind of bassier and doesn't sream like I'd hoped. I thought it's probably cause of my amp. I've got a Peavey Valveking, but I'm trying to get a Marshall JCM800. Any suggestions?
a breed?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Fool around with the pickup height and pole pieces. It's a very simple mod that can pay off big.
Here's a guide:
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p315/naazrael/pickupheight.jpg

Replacing your tone capacitors with different sized ones may also help. I recommend buying a few different values. It sounds like you want more high end, though, so I would put something like .015uF or .022uF, since you probably have .047uF or .05uF caps in there.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Fool around with the pickup height and pole pieces. It's a very simple mod that can pay off big.
Here's a guide:
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p315/naazrael/pickupheight.jpg

Replacing your tone capacitors with different sized ones may also help. I recommend buying a few different values. It sounds like you want more high end, though, so I would put something like .015uF or .022uF, since you probably have .047uF or .05uF caps in there.

...and pots, upping to 1 megs qill give a little more top end and power.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I'd say Seymour Duncan Alcino Pro II. Thats what Slash uses
"Would you tell Picasso to sell his guitars?" - Jack Black

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

my dick is generally better than yours, and is more pleasing to look at and hold.
your dick understands and accepts this, and is willing to just move on.
Quote by Johansensan
I'd say Seymour Duncan Alcino Pro II. Thats what Slash uses
The only reason he uses those is because they were the lowest output pickups he could find at the time. They're tonally and dynamically vapid.

I'd say a SD JB model in the bridge. It's 'the' hard rock humbucker (and if you're doing a mix of 80's and classic rock, typical hard rock is what you should be aiming at).

As for even hotter pickups (like the Super Distortion)... eh. Only if you're actually driving your amp hard enough. If you're getting your distortion from pedals or amp pre-gain then the Super Distortion won't do anything for you, it'll just be limiting your volume and tonal choices. Pickups like that are only of any use if you're getting all your distortion from natural overdrive, i.e. just cranking your volume until the amp naturally breaks up. But then... well 80's metal wasn't done like that, they used amp pre-gain + pedals.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
thanks all. I'm also trying to get good pinch harmonics out of my guitar. Is there anything I can do to the guitar, pickups or amp to get the harmonics to ring better, besides cranking the gain which I have done. Maybe there are better pickups for pinch harmonics. Like emgs. Anyone know? I'm staying away from active though so if you know good passive pups, like emgs? let me know thanks again
I've got a Swineshead Venom in my bridge position

does the 80s thing very well

highly recommended if you're in the UK/Europe