Alright, so my new comp with vista keeps on being weird with my programs

should I format the whole computer and put XP on it again?
format the HD into two separate partitions and have xp AND vista?

leave it alone and buy new recording software?

Definition of being weird:

-doesn't install programs
-programs won't boot
-programs won't record
-programs won't close
-programs won't open when other certain programs are open

and these are all perfectly legal, purchased programs, mind you.

EDIT: another thing that keeps on giving me trouble is recording with my Line6 Toneport UX1. any ideas, suggestions? because I can never record with my programs.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Jul 13, 2008,
I would try downgrading it to XP if I were you. Get a professional to do it though.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
If you have a big enough hard drive (which most new computers will do), partition the hard drive. If you entirely reformat the computer and erase Vista entirely there can be a lot of problems with warranty down the line as you have significantly altered the machine beyond what it came out of the factory with.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
There's nothing wrong with Vista if you know how to use it properly (though I am dual booting it with XP at the minute).

Being weird with my programs tells us nothing. Do whatever you want.

One day the otters will destroy you all... humans.
Quote by zippidyduda
I would try downgrading it to XP if I were you. Get a professional to do it though.

where, at a computer store?
Quote by zippidyduda
I would try upgrading it to XP if I were you. Get a professional to do it though.

fixed
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
okay so in my original post i said what's going wrong

and so I shouldn't let a friend of mine do the stuff?

EDIT: he claims to reinstall windows on his computer every 3 months, and i believe him since he's a pretty heavy gamer.
What is it with some of you and vista? I've been using it since bob knows when and I haven't faced any problems like that.
"When I grow up, I wanna be a vampire bat"

Being weird?

are you sure you're not just trying to install something that can't be used on vista? look it up online, there might be patches or suchlike for your programs

otherwise, purchase an XP license () and partition the drive, installing Xp on the second, so that when vista becomes more stable you don't have to format it
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by toton1989
What is it with some of you and vista? I've been using it since bob knows when and I haven't faced any problems like that.

+1
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
Quote by duncang
If you have a big enough hard drive (which most new computers will do), partition the hard drive. If you entirely reformat the computer and erase Vista entirely there can be a lot of problems with warranty down the line as you have significantly altered the machine beyond what it came out of the factory with.

In Germany, that doesn't count as significant altering, no problem with that.

I'd say download the service pack and see if it changes anything. If not, go back to XP, that's what I did.
Quote by toton1989

maybe for basic use but for more advance use it's different
Quote by musical donkey
Quote by Cryptorchild
Get a mac.

get a life
Quote by musical donkey
Quote by cyclobs
maybe for basic use but for more advance use it's different

Advanced use? Like what?
"When I grow up, I wanna be a vampire bat"

Are these music softwares you're talking about?

Because if they are, I had the same problem and I've fixed it. Need to make sure that's what's wrong before I write a massive post though.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist

Because if they are, I had the same problem and I've fixed it. Need to make sure that's what's wrong before I write a massive post though.

i just got vista and i have quite a few problems with lag
Too cool for a signature.
Quote by rabidguitarist

yes! yes they are

Fruity Loops 7, Cubase SX 3 and Audacity (yes, they are all purchased. not by me but by a friend who owns a studio. he gave me copies as long as i promised to never connect to the internet with my laptop, which is okay since i can still use my old one)

other programs that didn't work were assorted games like Gothic and Gothic II
Ok right. It's because the vista sound drivers are bollocks.

I have a realtek soundcard, and it wouldn't let me record without loads of latency, run more than one music program at the same time, it froze a lot, and it ran extremely slowly with VSTis.

The answer was this:

http://www.asio4all.com/

But it doesn't completely fix the problems. The asio4all driver can't be used as the soundcard driver for the whole computer, it has the be the audio device for each particular program. I use sony acid, so I would go into preferences, then audio device, and I would scroll through the list of sound drivers to find this one. It lets you record fine, sorts out any problems with loopback from the line in, and makes everything a lot faster.

Fruityloops and cubase, for me, work fine with the primary windows sound driver, but I still cannot run more than one of these programs simultaneously, unless I'm using rewire.

Now, for the games. Is your graphics card an Intel chipset?
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Gothic I and II need vertex shaders, Intel graphics cards don't have the hardware for it. Which means you'll never be able to play them. So now, you have to always check on the system requirements to see what pixel and vertex shaders the games need before buying them.

Apparantly there's going to be a way for integrated graphics chipsets to run newer games that need this hardware, but I'm not sure if it's for all models or just the new generation ones.

There are drivers called intel accelerator, or something, which do this, but I'm not sure whether they're compatible with everything. They've only been released for XP so far, but apparantly they're being developed for vista aswell.

EDIT: I've got the exact same card.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
I run Vista in my studio with Cakewalk Sonar and I dont have any problems.

although their updates this month have messed up my interface a little (I'm working on fixing that today) so it may be a few days before I can record....but its happened with XP as well so I dont blame vista...

sounds like a very strange set of problems you are having though...
Make sure your hardware AND software are compatible with vista is all I can say...

Quote by CoreysMonster
okay so in my original post i said what's going wrong

and so I shouldn't let a friend of mine do the stuff?

EDIT: he claims to reinstall windows on his computer every 3 months, and i believe him since he's a pretty heavy gamer.

Why?

You should not need to do that....I can see it being done yearly if you do a lot of work and want to reformat but even so, its a little extreme...
Last edited by moody07747 at Jul 13, 2008,
Quote by rabidguitarist
Gothic I and II need vertex shaders, Intel graphics cards don't have the hardware for it. Which means you'll never be able to play them. So now, you have to always check on the system requirements to see what pixel and vertex shaders the games need before buying them.

Apparantly there's going to be a way for integrated graphics chipsets to run newer games that need this hardware, but I'm not sure if it's for all models or just the new generation ones.

There are drivers called intel accelerator, or something, which do this, but I'm not sure whether they're compatible with everything. They've only been released for XP so far, but apparantly they're being developed for vista aswell.

EDIT: I've got the exact same card.

oh well, I still have my old comp that they run on just fine.
EDIT: I just need the recording software to work on this comp.
Quote by moody07747
I run Vista in my studio with Cakewalk Sonar and I dont have any problems.

although their updates this month have messed up my interface a little (I'm working on fixing that today) so it may be a few days before I can record....but its happened with XP as well so I dont blame vista...

sounds like a very strange set of problems you are having though...
Make sure your hardware is compatible with vista is all I can say...

But if you're in a studio, I'm going to guess you have a very good sound card.

Me and Corey just have standard shit ones for listening to itunes and watching DVDs.

Quote by CoreysMonster
oh well, I still have my old comp that they run on just fine.
EDIT: I just need the recording software to work on this comp.

Have you tried out that driver yet?
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Any audio interface will work when it comes to recording software. Cakewalk sonar requires an interface to work in most cases. I got an m-Audio 2496 PCI...$100, nothing fancy but it works.

I suggest an interface for both of you. One can be had quite easily for around $100 these days...