What is the proper technique to muting strings properly? I'm confused as to palm mute or lift my fingers off. How should I practice them so I don't get plucks and little dinky noises?
Well it depends what type of sound you want to get form your guitar. When you use your palm to mute the strings you will get a more "Muffled" bassy thuddy sound. And when you mute with your fingering hand it will make a more flat "Wicky-wicky" noise. Depending on what song your playing will depend on which you use. A palm mute is usually shown as an asterisk or simply a period or abbreviated PM, on tabs. While muting with your fingering hand is usually represented with x's.
Quote by 311_4_Life
Well it depends what type of sound you want to get form your guitar. When you use your palm to mute the strings you will get a more "Muffled" bassy thuddy sound. And when you mute with your fingering hand it will make a more flat "Wicky-wicky" noise. Depending on what song your playing will depend on which you use. A palm mute is usually shown as an asterisk or simply a period or abbreviated PM, on tabs. While muting with your fingering hand is usually represented with x's.

Oh that's useful to know, I thought x's just meant palm muting too for some reason (also beginning to learn to play).

So in Smells like teen spirit 1 3 3 then x x x means just the same fingering, but muting them (er...how ? ), I think I know how to palm mute but fingering hand muting, no idea how that goes :/.

To stay ontopic : I tried a few videos on youtube and I saw some guy sliding his hand until you get the sound you desire, I can't help much more because I'm a beginner other than to say check palm muting vids.
The X's mean to mute the string with your fingering hand, you mute all teh strings that the tabs shows have an x on them. So yeah you can keep your same fingering on a song like smells like teen spirit, so you go from
3 3 3 x x x
1 1 1 to x x x
1 1 1 x x x

so after you play the 311 part you just lift your fingers to when you pick the string, so the sound is muted.