Ok, I've searched a lot and many people think its a good thing to learn standard notation. I agree with this. I played a bass clef instrument for about 5 years, so I understand the whole rhythm and rests part of reading notes. Now I have been playing guitar for about 1 and a half years. I think I'm doing alright. So do you guys think I should move on to reading notes and getting into theory or should I play for a while longer? Also, I would like to know some books that you guys would recommend. Although I have a habit of getting bored if the book is...well, boring.
Interested in vitamins and their many uses? Visit my site to learn more about vitamins that can give you energy, increased gym performance, increased recovery, and improved overall health (no broscience)
Check it out: Energizedbyvitamins.com
There isn't one time to start reading music. I think you should start getting accustomed to it now and work your way in over time. Just a little exposure now will help you down the road.
It's never to early to learn the theory side. Knowing EGBDF and FACE for Treble clef and how the written notes transfer to the guitar can only help your knowledge of and playing of the instrument. Even something as simple as someone asking you to "add a little high g to a note transition to the end of your solo" (just some crazy example) you would know where to find it on the guitar. Hope that makes sense!
Gibson ES335
Ibanez RG370DXGP
Ibanez SA Series
Fender Acoustic
Marshall JCM800 1-12 split channel
Quote by blue_strat

Wow, that seems nice, for free.

EDIT: I know that already.

Anyway, is there any really good books?
Interested in vitamins and their many uses? Visit my site to learn more about vitamins that can give you energy, increased gym performance, increased recovery, and improved overall health (no broscience)
Last edited by Moose45 at Jul 13, 2008,
Ok, I just bought William Levitt's book for theory or whatever from amazon. I hope its worth it. I have heard good things about it.
I live in rural Minnesota, the closest teacher is at least an hour away, if not 3. But thanks.