I have a budget of about 800$ and I'd like to buy a new tube amp, preferably 30w or below. I want it to have an effect loop if at all possible. I will not gig with it and it's gonna be at bedroom volume most of the time. I won't need that much gain, probably more along the line of Paul Gilbert's, Joe Satriani, or Steve Vai's ballad stuff. Sometimes I play 80's metal though. Any suggestions ?
JSX Mini Colossal?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I'd get a Line6 PODxt or x3 and use it through the clean channel of a small, cheap SS amp (like a Kustom or something), I've done so for years and it sounds really good actually. You can check out the videos on my page to see what it sounds like.

- edit - You could run it through your computer speakers aswell, it sounds great that way to.
Last edited by Aziraphale at Jul 13, 2008,
If you save up I highly recommend a Bogner Ecstasy But it is alot more than $800. the amp is awesome though especialy the Blue Channel. It covers everything you are looking for.
Quote by Pagan-Pie
Paul Gilbert uses Laneys.

he's actually using a marshall vintage modern combo right now, i think it's the 2266C
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
What model of laneys would you all advice ? I'll check the JSX mini colossal

EDIT: How would a Bogner Ecstacy cost ?
Last edited by SuperWeirdoUG at Jul 13, 2008,
Quote by Erock503
about 3x your budget man.

I don't doubt it'd be a good amp but for bedroom practice it's a bit too much
I see a lot of people saying good things of the Peavey Classic. Do you think it could work for shred as well ?
Although the Peavey Classic is a good amp, I wouldn't get it for shred.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
have a look at atomic amps
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Quote by Aziraphale
I'd get a Line6 PODxt or x3 and use it through the clean channel of a small, cheap SS amp (like a Kustom or something), I've done so for years and it sounds really good actually. You can check out the videos on my page to see what it sounds like.

- edit - You could run it through your computer speakers aswell, it sounds great that way to.

so if you had 800 bucks you'd spend it on this!?!? what!?
Quote by solidsnake15
so if you had 800 bucks you'd spend it on this!?!? what!?

I actually would... I now play through a Hughes & Kettner Switchblade (tube amp), but that's about $2000. The POD obviously lacks beef in live settings but at bedroom volume it sounds just as good as any expensive tube amp. And out of all the amps and multi-effects that I've tried, it's been the easiest one by far to get good tones out of.

So yeah, Line6 have a bad rep from the Spiders, people forget that the POD's are great, proffessional equipment. Tons of bands ranging from pop to metal use them for recording and TS said he wasn't gonna use it live anyway, so with that factor out of the way, I think a POD is his best choice.
but 800 dollars??? I mean if you want to play though the computer get a guitarport and some computer speakers... 100 bucks then you got 700 left!
again not saying this is bad equipment. Just saying 800 bucks could get you something cooler.
Quote by kckyle
for 800 bucks you can get a bugera combo.

I've never heard of those amp but they do fit my budget, do you think they'd be good for instrumental rock and shred ? I can't listen to sound samples right now but I will when I get back home tonight.

There's a lot of talk (good and bad) about the valveking, maybe it would work ?

Again keep in my I don't need that much gain. I like my shred not to gainy (a la Paul Gilbert and Satriani)

Thanks for all the input you gave me up to now.

EDIT: Looking on the Bugera tube combo on americanmusical.com they say it's 120watts is it really an all-tube ??? If it is that's overkill.
Last edited by SuperWeirdoUG at Jul 14, 2008,
I've also been looking at the Carvin v3, if I were to spare more money and find a decend cab that would like an awesome amp.
Yeah look at carvins...the older ones are really good. Id say...a Carvin X30 would be great. Maybe something a little more, but old Carvins would rule.

Also, look at older mesa. A DC5, Mark I, II, II, and IV combo if you could find one would be amazing for what you want.
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
Quote by SuperWeirdoUG
I've also been looking at the Carvin v3, if I were to spare more money and find a decend cab that would like an awesome amp.

If you want to make an investment in future live playing, then it'd be great. A bit overkill for home practice, not only is it big but 100w tube amps don't generally perform their best at low volumes. They do make combo V3's though as far as I know, might be worth checking out...
Here's a crazy idea: let's reccomend an amp for him, not ourselves. Shame on all of you, trying to suggest 100 watt tube heads on a guy who apparently is on a budget, and stated clearly that he was only ever going to use the amp for practice. This:
Quote by darkarbiter7
JSX Mini Colossal?

was one of perhaps 3 intelligent posts in this thread, and it's damn good advice. TS, you should either try one of these out, or consider a Pod.
I currently have a 5w Ibanez Valbee, for the people who know this amp to you think it'd be worth it to get a JSX mini colossal ? That'd be like exchanging a 5 watt tube for another but if the tone is there that'll be worth it for me.
i say get away from these 5 watt tube amps all together. I've never liked them. Of course other people here do but id look into something else. Save up more money.
Quote by solidsnake15
i say get away from these 5 watt tube amps all together. I've never liked them. Of course other people here do but id look into something else. Save up more money.

At first I wanted something along the lines of 30 watt maybe 50 and I find that some tube amp sound great even at low volumes but I'm trying to find a good amp. Maybe the carvin like someone suggested with a hot plate ?
Quote by solidsnake15

I say you should post something useful or not at all....5w tube is MORE than enough for bedroom levels...
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
Give those smaller carvins a shot, but you may like the JSX.
It should be a bit better than the valbee. The JSX is made for bedroom shred.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by thriller4life
I say you should post something useful or not at all....5w tube is MORE than enough for bedroom levels...

Why do you assume everything is about "levels" and volume. You should do your research. I don't use 5 watt amps because I'm a metal player and I like high gain amps. There is a reason high gain amps are usually more wattage. 5 watt tube amps always sound like crap to me. He's already got one he isn't satisfied. I'd say stay away from them and get something else. It isn't all about volume. I'm sure you are one of these people who think a 16 watt tube amp is MORE than enough to go play a gig with too. And it isnt.
After reading the answers I think I might settle for the JSX mini colossal for now. Then I'll spare more money and I'll give a shot for a carvin v3 or something along those line with a hot plate.
Quote by schecter ftw
If I were you, I'd just get a Blackheart and a Pod X3 Live as your only going to be playing in your bedroom and it will be really easy when recording.

I appreciate your suggestion but I'm not really into modeling or prossessing pedals. After a while I found that I'm really into the tube tone without prossessing pedals in between (I'm influenced a lot by Paul Gilbert). Anyway I appreciate your input.
I've kept reading on these boards and I really see the Peavey Classic 30 getting advised. I know I asked earlier but could it work for some light shred ???
I'm not a fan of bumping a thread but I don't want to start a new thread. Has someone tried to play PG songs on a Peavey Classic ? Did it sound good ?
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Here's a crazy idea: let's reccomend an amp for him, not ourselves. Shame on all of you, trying to suggest 100 watt tube heads on a guy who apparently is on a budget, and stated clearly that he was only ever going to use the amp for practice. This:

was one of perhaps 3 intelligent posts in this thread, and it's damn good advice. TS, you should either try one of these out, or consider a Pod.

I didn't read the whole thing and didn't really need to after reading this^

And no, my opinion is that the Classic 30 will not do shred real well and maybe someone can say something different. With the right adjustments maybe it could.

Can you go used?...or was that asked already? Sorry.
the valveking is eh. is so so for about everything you do. if you want a shreddy shound then the bugera sounds just about right. or you can check out a used engl.
Quote by SuperWeirdoUG
I appreciate your suggestion but I'm not really into modeling or prossessing pedals. After a while I found that I'm really into the tube tone without prossessing pedals in between (I'm influenced a lot by Paul Gilbert). Anyway I appreciate your input.

At the volumes we're talking about here, there's not much difference to be heard, if any. I say for live playing, go tubes. For bedroom practice, you're just as well off with a POD. Try it, chances are you'll really dig it. There are some good video demo's on the line 6 site.

- edit - It'll also save you much hassle and probably give you a better result aswell if you get into recording. The POD's have cab/mic/angle/room simulation which makes the direct-out signal sound amazing. Even guys like Steve Lukather, who could afford any amp in the world, has done plenty of recording sessions with a POD.

I'm not trying to deny you the rock n' roll factors and penis compensations that come with a tube stack, I'm just telling you this to give you the best sound for your cause.
Last edited by Aziraphale at Jul 15, 2008,
Quote by Aziraphale
At the volumes we're talking about here, there's not much difference to be heard, if any. I say for live playing, go tubes. For bedroom practice, you're just as well off with a POD. Try it, chances are you'll really dig it. There are some good video demo's on the line 6 site.

theres better video demo on your youtube
Quote by kckyle
the valveking is eh. is so so for about everything you do. if you want a shreddy shound then the bugera sounds just about right. or you can check out a used engl.

Who said anything about a Valveking?

...although not a bad one to add to the list.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Who said anything about a Valveking?

...although not a bad one to add to the list.

oops got confused with another thread