I've played bass for years, but decided to buy a friends electric but it's 24.75" scale. I plan on sticking some heavy strings and down tuning it for doom metal and such, but it seems 25.5" scale guitars are for that... would this be okay? What are the main differences between the two scale lengths?
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
I've played bass for years, but decided to buy a friends electric but it's 24.75" scale. I plan on sticking some heavy strings and down tuning it for doom metal and such, but it seems 25.5" scale guitars are for that... would this be okay? What are the main differences between the two scale lengths?

It could work, if you've ever seen guitarists of that kind of style playing Gibson guitars, it's 24.75". But I'd recommend a longer scale, maybe even 26" if you're going for low B or something.

- edit - Reasons being intonation, string tension and clarity. I mean, a bass neck is longer than a guitar neck for a reason, so it's only logical that a guitar tuned to B would have a longer neck than one tuned to E.
Just lower tension. Use heavier strings than you would for the 25.5 scale.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
nah, C# standard. Not ridiculously low, that's what bass is for. Yeah, it's an Epiphone though I though Gibson were longer some reason. Thanks!
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by Aziraphale
It could work, if you've ever seen guitarists of that kind of style playing Gibson guitars, it's 24.75". But I'd recommend a longer scale, maybe even 26" if you're going for low B or something.

- edit - Reasons being intonation, string tension and clarity. I mean, a bass neck is longer than a guitar neck for a reason, so it's only logical that a guitar tuned to B would have a longer neck than one tuned to E.

Remember, 7 string guitars do just fine with a 25 inch scale. Baritone guitars lengthen the scale because they use standard gauge strings.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Vox AD50
fender and all fender owned companies use a 25.5" scale
all gibson and gibson owned companies use a 24.75" scale

and yes, you could detune on a 24.75 scale and make it work, i.e. tony iommi
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
Quote by gwitersnamps
Remember, 7 string guitars do just fine with a 25 inch scale. Baritone guitars lengthen the scale because they use standard gauge strings.

Maybe, I have a PRS (25") tuned to D standard/drop C sometimes with 10's and although the tension is fine there's a loss in clarity. My 7-string is 26" (or 26.5", can't remember) and that however sounds just as clear and tidy as you'd want for heavily distorted tones, like TS does.
Quote by Aziraphale
Maybe, I have a PRS (25") tuned to D standard/drop C sometimes with 10's and although the tension is fine there's a loss in clarity. My 7-string is 26" (or 26.5", can't remember) and that however sounds just as clear and tidy as you'd want for heavily distorted tones, like TS does.

That's because you use 10s. Use 11-52. Remember, Sevenths are standard strings, PLUS a really think lower string, like a 58 or something.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Vox AD50
Quote by gwitersnamps
That's because you use 10s. Use 11-52. Remember, Sevenths are standard strings, PLUS a really think lower string, like a 58 or something.

I tried that though, and got more tension than I wanted, so for playability I went back to .10's. What I mean is that I personally would recommend a longer scale for drop tunings, because I personally don't think thicker strings is that great of a solution. All it does is add tension, not clarity.

And about the sevens, I've tried a few Ibanezes, a Squier and an Epiphone 7-string and none of them had the punch that my Schecter does. So I don't really agree that string gauge is the issue.
It's a combination of things. Pickups play a part, heck even the bridge plays a part. But the the relationship between scale length and string gauge have the most effect on string tension, a number of things can affect clarity.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Vox AD50