Hi guys,

At the moment I'm playing through my boss me-50 straight into my new peavey valveking 112 amp. Before, if I used delay/modulation effects on the pedal going into the old kustom 10-watt, I'd have no problems the effects would work as normal.

With the valveking, reverb, delay and modulation sound very strange when setup this way, so, I decided to put the effects pedal in the effects loop.

The reverb and modulation effects sound awesome, problem solved, but...

I was wondering, why is this? And why did the weirdness not happen with the solid state kustom? Because the gain put on in the preamp stage is also adding gain to the reverb/modulation effect when the effects are infront? Also, I can't use the od/ds effects now it sounds awful, is this because they are overdriving the power amp tubes? I know i sound like im answering my own questions but just wanna make sure I know whats going on.

Also, I'd like an overdrive infront of the amp to push the gain a bit and tighten up the overdrive. Can you suggest a good pedal? I've heard the bad monkey is ace, any others?

Cheers, and sorry for the long post!
"Sit your ass down in that f@%$ing chair and drink your GODAMN TEA!!" - Cid, FFVII

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard (trans amber, 60s neck)
USA Fender Strat
Westfield acoustic
Washburn 12-string acoustic
Encore bass
Aria acoustic bass
yeah - you kinda answered your own question.

certain effects sound better after preamp (effects loop) and
certain effects sound better up front (OD being one of them)

i have a similar situation but would need an A/B switch to fix it. Right now I have my:
Guitar > Digitech Multi pedal > Bad Monkey OD > into amp strait away. I just turn one on and the other off.

when I asked yesterday as to how to get one switch that allows me to have Multi in effects loop on Clean channel and OD on Lead channel - IbanezPsycho gave me this link. It's $244 bucks tho roughly. Someone could probably make one cheaper but I haven't gotten that far yet.

http://www.lehle.com/products/D_Loop/printversion.php?country=us&lang=en&type=1@3

Hope that helps.
Some guitar effects pedals (X3 Live, ToneLab, there are a couple more) have a built in effects loop. Then, you do something like this.

Guitar>pedal board>effects loop SEND>amp input>amp effects SEND>pedal effects RETURN> pedal output>amp effects RETURN.

AKA 4 Cable Method. It allows you to put you OD, wah, and volume before the pre amps, and then your mods (chorus, echo, blah blah blah) before the power amp. Then, you have a magic... magic! haha.
Guitar:
PRS Tremonti

Amp:
Bluetron Bluedrive
Ducted Port 1x12
Jensen Mod 12-110

Wants:
59/09's or Standard T&B
Awesome, thanks guys. Just one more question...

Why didn't the kustom 10-watt ss do the same when the effects pedal was up front?
"Sit your ass down in that f@%$ing chair and drink your GODAMN TEA!!" - Cid, FFVII

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard (trans amber, 60s neck)
USA Fender Strat
Westfield acoustic
Washburn 12-string acoustic
Encore bass
Aria acoustic bass
Tubes react differently than ss. Really, I don't know of any other explination than that.
Guitar:
PRS Tremonti

Amp:
Bluetron Bluedrive
Ducted Port 1x12
Jensen Mod 12-110

Wants:
59/09's or Standard T&B