Anyone have owned or played the Geddy Lee sig Jazz bass by Fender? Any thoughts on it? Feeling that I might want to get one pretty soon but I've heard both good and bad, i.e. stories of bad necks, tuners, ect.Where does it stand up against MIM and MIA qaulity or even Highway One? For its price of $600 or so is it some kind of medium between those? Thanks for your help.
I own a Geddy and its the best bass ive ever played. I would try one see if you like it. If you like it I can tell you this its worth the 800$ I love it. The thin neck, the tone its all together a kickass bass. I HIGHLY recommend it.
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
The tone is very comparable to a highway 1 jazz. The only thing you have to think about with it is really the neck.

+1
all things considered, they are a very nice bass. the GL's are CIJ with a shaved J bass
neck(very fast). they are just as good as the Hwy 1, although the the Hwy 1 is MIA.
the GL was the first Fender to use the BadAss bridge, which is now stock on the
Hwy 1.
is pretty much the H1 jazz with a diferent neck, really comfortable fast neck
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
$600? Where are you buying? Please, tell me :p

And also to add onto what everyone else has said, there is another thing to take into consideration. The looks. It looks ****ing awesome, which is a plus. However, it has the standard Fender limitation of 20 frets.
Quote by IndianRockStar
$600? Where are you buying? Please, tell me :p

And also to add onto what everyone else has said, there is another thing to take into consideration. The looks. It looks ****ing awesome, which is a plus. However, it has the standard Fender limitation of 20 frets.

My local Music Unlimited has one for $600..pre owned
I've played one at my local music store i could barley notice a sound difference between my MIM Jazz and the geddy lee bass. But the neck was thin and fast which was pretty freakin sweet. Also the inlays are badass!

Quote by Scumbag1792
I've played it and I for one like it a whole lot, but thats' just me man.
I just saw Rush last night and oh man did his bass sound great haha

Lol well he does pretty much have the greatest setup in existance lol... Every live video i've seen his tone just sounds beastly.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
i would buy it just on the looks. it's one of the most atractive basses fender makes. it's comparable in quality to the MIA hwy 1 and it sounds a bit better. also the neck is more comfterble. just A/B the MIA highway1 and the Geddy Lee and see wih one you like better
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by Emergancy Exit
i would buy it just on the looks. it's one of the most atractive basses fender makes. it's comparable in quality to the MIA hwy 1 and it sounds a bit better. also the neck is more comfterble. just A/B the MIA highway1 and the Geddy Lee and see wih one you like better

i A/B'd those same basses in '04. i walked away with the Hwy 1 Jazz. no regrets.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
i A/B'd those same basses in '04. i walked away with the Hwy 1 Jazz. no regrets.

What was it that made you choose the Highway 1? I haven't played one and im wondering what im missing out on

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by shinhoman
What was it that made you choose the Highway 1? I haven't played one and im wondering what im missing out on

x

to be honest, they both played and sounded great. the deciding factors for me were
cosmetic mostly. i didn't like the "painted on" fret markers of the GL(newer versions), i really didn't want a black bass, at the time. and i thought the MIA status of the H1, would hold it's value better, for when i upgrade to a MIA Standard or Custom Shop Jazz. what have i learned since then? fret markers don't effect the sound. the GL had a BadAss bridge, and i could have changed the p-guard on the GL to give a classic Jazz look that i really like, now. and the GL's have held their market value quite well.
had i chose the Geddy, i'm sure i would be a total Geddy homer.
haha i asked these same qestions all not so long ago in a thread almost identical to this one - and i must say im yet again pleased the the results and i will be the proud owner of a GL in a very short while

I recommend it - played it my local music shop, through a rig identical to mine at home and everything on it was as beautiful as i had dreamed
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Green Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Member - Geddy Lee Fan Club -

Hartke 4x10, 400W VX cab
Hartke HA3500 350W head

Squire Custom JAZZ Bass (Midnight Blue)