I noticed that the Ibanez MBD1 Bass (The Mike D'Antonio Signature Bass) comes standard with strings tuned CGCF. I have seen a few with similar set tunings other than standard EADG. Are these jsut basses that come tuned down already, or do they have special strings, such as a C String? If they do come with special strings tuned to CGCF, anyone know where I can get soem and for how much???
yeah, the strings are the same as any other strings of the same gauge. if it's designed to be down-tuned, then the bass itself will be set up for the tuning. basically, the strings will be at proper tension when tuned to C-G-C-F as opposed to a regular bass tuned down, where the string tension would be loose. having the bass set up for it's main tuning will keep the neck from bending or bowing too.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
They're probably just a set of heavier strings. There is no tuning specific string gauge. It's just about tension.

This.
The lower you tune with the less strings you have, the thicker strings you need for the tension.
For example, if you tuned a 4-string down to B standard with thinner strings, it's gonna be pretty floppy (I would know, I've done it.)
But if you put thicker gauge strings on it, it should handle the lower tuning a lot easier.
Thanks much. One further question: would a bass that is normally set up with standard tuning, be adjust so that its standard tuning was the lower tuning? If so, how? :-)
When tuning it, instead of tuning to standard... you tune it to CGCF.

Are you completely new to bass?
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by remx15
Thanks much. One further question: would a bass that is normally set up with standard tuning, be adjust so that its standard tuning was the lower tuning? If so, how? :-)

Well,I say it would be wise to have the truss and action set up (and if you adjust those, you better readjust the intonation a bit) anytime you use a new string gauge.
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
When tuning it, instead of tuning to standard... you tune it to CGCF.

Are you completely new to bass?

i know that, i just meant with what was mentioned above, how things are factory tuned so instead of being loose, there is more tension on the strings. Tuning down isnt that hard, i was just curious if i could adjsut the bass so that CGCF was standard for it, and therefore less wobbly.
its cool if there isnt, i was just curious after reading about the Miek D'Antonio bass on the Ibanez website.
Quote by remx15
its cool if there isnt, i was just curious after reading about the Miek D'Antonio bass on the Ibanez website.

He usually plays in Drop C
thus his bass would be set up to where Drop C would be the standard intonation
(is that even the right word?)
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
You can adjust any bass to take any tuning. All it would take is a heavy gauge set of strings, for a lower tuning, (probably 110-50) a relief adjustment (truss rod), and a small intonation adjustment (screws on the bridge).
yeah, id like to set up my Ibanez SRX2EX1 4 stringer that same way, but whatever. If there isnt a relativley easy way, ill just keep drop tuning
It's quite simple to just buy a heavier set of strings and make a few small adjustments. You really don't even have to adjust if you don't want. It won't make that much difference with .05 bigger gauge.
I have a 5 string bass and tune it to C-G-C-F-G, the tension is just right.