Anyone had any experience of it ?

I've heard I may need to aquire the correct paperwork for it to enter the country?

Any help/info would be good.

Thanks.
You probably would need some sort of clearence, as wood is an organic product and can transfer plant diseases and insects that could harm your native agriculture. But I am sure it is possible...anything is possible if you have the money.

Edit: I just checked Warmoth Guitars (they sell parts and blank bodies, necks, etc. in the US) and they ship to Europe so it probably isn't too hard to get the correct paperwork if needed.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
Last edited by shredder.cheese at Jul 13, 2008,
I bought a rosewood neck from the states and it took about a month to come but I didnt need to get any paperwork or do anything . . . . . . . hmm.

Just dont wanna spend £xxx and then bummed silly when it comes to customs !
Are you looking for just raw wood, or guitar body blanks (un-routed), etc.?
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
Well what I would do in your place is first locate a company here in the states that has what you are looking for, see if they ship international, ask if they know what is required as far as import permits and then double check that on your end with the customs deprtment. That is if nobody else who actually has experience in this posts to this thread.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
I dont know if either of these links will help, theres a couple of pdfs on these pages that cover plant goods, i have to admit i didnt read it all, i think it applies more to plant goods, ie shrubs and so on rather than raw wood so they may be of no help what so ever lol
the HM customs site is different now and a lot harder to navigate than i remember.
I guess it depends how "raw" the wood is. Either way the lumber yard you get it from must check for bugs and fungus and so on but never having done it i cant say for sure. Its a great idea, for the money you spend on raw wood you can get some very special stuff that works out costing a lot less than buying blanks of the same over here.
Also it may have different rules if youre registered as a business and import it through that.

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageMySite_ShowContent&propertyType=document&columns=1&id=HMCE_PROD1_027658

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageMySite_ShowContent&id=HMCE_PROD1_025436&propertyType=document
Just call me Mr Sambo.....

Check out my profile for my covers!
It's against the law to get some woods, like honduran mahogany, shipped raw. If they are made into something then it's ok but the raw material is a no go. Most other woods used for guitar are ok to ship as long as they are free of bugs and fungus. For small shipments there isn't anything special you have to do. For larger shipments things can get pretty complex. How much wood are you looking at shipping?
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Jul 14, 2008,
Yeah, thats not a problem as long as it isn't something like honduran mahogany or Brazilian rosewood.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Jul 14, 2008,
Just don't spend more than you are prepared to lose if customs decide you can't have it.

As long as it's not a restricted wood (as above) you should be ok for a single item, when doing your costings, bear in mind you'll almost certainly have to pay import duty and VAT and whatever the shipping company charges in admin fees (usually about £10 on top of the VAT and duty).
I order a lot of stuff from Stewmac so im no stranger wehen it comes to being raped by customs!

Thanks for the info.
you should be okay if its only a neck blank, i ordered some ebony from the US which had a declaration thingy stuck to it and it had in massive font ' THIS IS EBONY'
nothing got picked up haha

you'l have to let me know how it goes, i wouldnt mind a flame maple neck blank but theyre too expensive over here.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
If you decide to order larger amounts in the future, go down to a lumber yard in your area that has exotic woods and wood for instruments or furniture and talk to them to see if you need any special forms. I'm pretty sure that the lumber yards in your area don't get all their wood from the EU.