I've been playing for 4 years and using power chords are really easy, but when i was giving a friend a lesson of how to play power chords he said that his other friend taught him differently. When i play them i put a finger on each fret, but when i see him playing he puts both fingers across the frets. He says it's harder to do it with the fingers but to me its so easy. Am i doing it the wrong way or is he?
Most people just use two fingers for power chords but do whatever makes you feel comfortable...
using separate fingers for power chords helps in the long run i think.
ADD

Check out my self-recorded demos on my profile!!! C4C

Separation is an illusion.
I use 3 fingers: my first on the root, my ring on the 5th and my pinky on the 8ve. But I used to use my ring as a bar over the the 5th and 8ve, but that muted other notes on that fret, so I started using my current technique as IMO it's more versatile than the ring barring method, but each to his own, y'know?

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

ya me too, have not figured out what works with me. to fret each note or to almost bar the notes. Also me teacher has taught me to add the 8th octive to my power cords too as it sounds meater. i guess i try to use the bar chord way cause then you can mute the other strings so it is cleaner, but i suck at bar chords so i kinda use them both....
音乐是生活
Music is Life

Ibanez RG2550Z, Edwards Jimmy Page LP Relic Custom, 06 Fender Clapton SS, Line6 Spider III 112, Peavey Classic 30, Boss HD-1, Boss Green Label Chorus, Boss SD1 Overdrive, MXR Fuzz, Blues Breaker
i would use three so when the time comes it will be easier for you to adapt to other "power chords" like add9 and maj7
I play them the way your friend plays them, because that it's more comfortable to me. There's really no right way to play power chords. The way you play them is pretty much just based on comfort.
yeh i use three fingers i believed it would just be better technique in the long run, what with not muting any other strings and getting a clearer sound to each note.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Well, when I do power chords, I usually just do the root and the 5th, so I only use 2 fingers. I add the octave in when I want a slightly fuller sound, and all I do is flatten my second finger. There's not a right way, and one of them won't "help you in the end," it's just a matter of personal preference, just like deciding what fingers you use to form the power chords with, it's all just personal preference.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
I just use my pointer finger and my pinky. It's just what feels comfortable to me.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by george8392
using separate fingers for power chords helps in the long run i think.

this
it doesn't really matter and a lot of people on use two part powerchords because adding the octave doesn't that much except maybe add a fuller sound