Hey.

So I'm planning on buying a delay pedal fairly soon, but I'm not sure which one to go for.
I'm into wierd noises and long delay times and such, so I figured a digital one would suit me. The Line 6 DL-4 looks pretty awesome, but I was hoping there'd be something cheaper than $250.
But also, I'm going to purchase other things eventually too, such as a Moog Ring Mod and a Line 6 FM4. Because of this, I figure I have those wierd noises covered, and maybe just a simple analog delay like the Carbon Copy could just add a little to those things.

I'd like it to be true bypass, but as long as the buffer doesn't suck a lot of tone, it's not a huge deal. For example, I've heard that the DD20 is a big tone sucker.

Also, I have another question. I use a Furman pedalboard, and it's how I power all my pedals. It has a bunch of the standard 9 volt power type things, and also has 3 wall wart type outlets. In case I get a pedal like the DL4 that requires a wall wart, I will have run out of those outlets. Will attaching a surge protector to add more add noise to my signal?

You may want to try the EHX Deluxe Memory Man with Harazi - it is a nice Digital Delay Pedal. Also, I have tried the DD-20 and AB'd (both connected and then completely removed) and did not notice any tone suck? Maybe I got lucky...Haha.
DL4? Moog ring mod? FM4?

Someone's going for an Omar sound

Seriously though, I really like the DL4, it's a great sounding pedal. I ended up buying a Deluxe Memory Man instead because I wouldn't use most of the stuff on the DL4, but I still want to pick one up sometime.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
DL4? Moog ring mod? FM4?

Someone's going for an Omar sound

Seriously though, I really like the DL4, it's a great sounding pedal. I ended up buying a Deluxe Memory Man instead because I wouldn't use most of the stuff on the DL4, but I still want to pick one up sometime.

I am a fan, but I don't really think of it as going for that kind of sound. Although I will be using it for some of the more ambient noises.

As for no tone suck on the DD20, that's interesting. I guess I'll have to try one out for myself.

I was looking at the harazai MM. I shall try that out as well. Is the DL4 worth all that money?
I think it sounds good enough to justify the price, but I've heard a few horror stories about reliability. Even the guys at the Line 6 forum seem to be less than satisfied.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
I'm a huge tone snob but.....i reccomend a Boss DD-3 in this case. I still use one for practice. 800ms. Not bad really, especially if you havent used a delay before. the line 6 does have some major reliability problems, so i'd avoid that. There are several analog delays you could go for too, like the Carbon Copy (which is actually really good) but i think for amebeince and what not, a digital delay will be fine.
Gearz-

Grestch White Falcon

Red Witch Fuzz God II
Custom Audio Electronics Boost
EH Micro Synth
MXR Flanger
Red Witch Deluxe Moon Phaser
MXR Carbon Copy Delay

Matamp King Street Classic head
Matamp 4x12 Angled Cab
Yeah I've heard great things about the carbon copy. I'm using dd-3 and I am not happy about it. It's a little scratchy and noisy when my distortion is trebly and the volume is halfway. I'll soon mod it.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

Quote by FunctionF2
I'm a huge tone snob but.....i reccomend a Boss DD-3 in this case. I still use one for practice. 800ms. Not bad really, especially if you havent used a delay before. the line 6 does have some major reliability problems, so i'd avoid that. There are several analog delays you could go for too, like the Carbon Copy (which is actually really good) but i think for amebeince and what not, a digital delay will be fine.

I'm willing to go higher end than a DD3 though.

I want to try out the Carbon Copy though, to get a feel for it. Hopefully I can find it. I'll try out the DD20 as well, to check for tone suck, because if there's not a lot, than it looks amazing. However, I've seen enough reviews with bad reports on that to make me skeptical.

The MM with Harazai looks pretty badass too. Is that charged with a standard 9 volt adapter?
I am pretty sure that the DMM/H comes with an AC power adaptor, and does not take batteries.

ADDED:: It looks like the DMM/H uses a 9v Center Neg adaptor (of course check more closely before connecting an adaptor!!) It shows it comes with a 24DC-100 power supply included. -- hope this helps.

There are other delays you could tryout such as Akai E2 Headrush Delay/Looper Pedal; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay Guitar Effects Pedal that are in the 200ish price range. If you want to save a few bucks (and have a smaller pedal) might take a look at the new Boss DD-7 its about 150 US$. The DD-7 is a sweet deal because at that price, it includes a 40 second looper! ...More than my DD20 (but not quite as good...LOL) Best of luck!

Quote by KetchupLad14

The MM with Harazai looks pretty badass too. Is that charged with a standard 9 volt adapter?
Last edited by damnedone at Jul 14, 2008,
i also throw my hat in with the digital delay crowd, i just feel like i can control them more than i can control an analog delay. i too would also recommend a dd-3 or a dd-7(depending on what you have access to). i havea dd-6 and a dd-7 an ibanez ad9 analog delay. i have used a dd20(i noticed no tone suck myself) and found it was much like a super buffed dd-6 with a few extra add-ons, i find it a bit big myself and actually like the simpleness and compactness of the dd-6 or 7. I have access to a DL-4 as well(we use it on the 'brick' or something power supply and it has power chord adapters and special outputs just for L6 stuff) and i have wanted to like the DL-4 so much, i have really wanted to just love it cuz it has all those expression pedal/super long delay/emulators/tap tempo things going on and i just hated it. like i really wanted to write 'hated it' some 50 times over and over again to get my point across. i borrowed the pedal like 2 or 3 times from my friend to try and change my mind about it but it was alway really dissapointing. i things i didn't like were the delays sounded inauthentic and quite unuseful, and i couldn't get the delayed signal as loud as i would have liked. digital delay pedals are known to be a bit heavy on the high end and have a more brittle sound than analog, but the DL-4 has incredibly brittle tone and when it tries to emulate analog delay it just sounds like all the worst attributes of digital delay mixed with the worst attributes of analog delays. i could write a thesis on how much i hate the DL-4, especially when the DD-20 is cheaper.

ps: i apologize to owners of the DL-4 who really like it, i don't mean to offend or butcher any sacrad cows. it is just the way i feel