Ok... It seems everytime I improvise.. I end up playing the same old patterns but in different places. What would you suggest to get out of this habbit?
Ibanez RG350DX
Randall RH150G3
Harley Benton Cab (Shut up.)
Roland Cube 60
Dunlop Wah Wah Pedal.

mmmmm

Guitar fund - £300/???
Help me out guise!!1!
learn new scales, play covers for learning new licks and then use them in your own music
learn more/different scales, and keep a "music dictionary" in your head of different licks at all times (even if its someone else's)
last.fm: last.fm/thrashmetal101
follow me on twitter
Quote by Sonicxlover
Emotionally, it makes me feel good. Physically, it makes me feel good.
Dump ****ing scales. Never bother with them, youshould hear in your head what you want to improvise, just tell your fingers to make it happen
Learn some new scale shapes, and learn about modes.

Go to guitarbt.com and find some jam tracks, just sit and improvise with the new scale shapes to get used to them and develop licks. What better way to make you better at improv than to...well, do it! Just make a ton of new licks and throw those into your improv to make it less boring.
I suffered from the same boredom about 3 months ago. Find some guitar backing tracks (make sure you know what key they're in) and jam along. It helps to break out of the same old patterns, cause some of the patterns just won't sound good with what you're playing over.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Quote by Anthony1991
Dump ****ing scales. Never bother with them, youshould hear in your head what you want to improvise, just tell your fingers to make it happen

Dont provide inadequate advice.
Telling someone not to learn scales is fucking stupid.
Been away, am back
Quote by Anthony1991

Seriously man......

Of course he needs to learn scales, everyone needs to know scales!!!

Learn scales firstly, start with the modes as they will be most useful in most kinds of music.

Learn a few of your favourite song's guitar solos, steal the licks from them.

Try not to repeat those licks note for note, as all my teachers have told me "Learn it, then forget it." You'll still have the sound of that lick in your head, but if you just learn a bunch of licks then you'll end up just playing a bunch of licks and nothing really interestingly musical.

Like blues players.
Quote by Anthony1991

That's an ever-so-slightly retarded statement.

TS - keep using scales, but the key is to use them, not play them. A scale isn't a pattern for you to play, it's notes for you to use so actually pay attention to the notes you're playing and the sound you're making as opposed to blindly moving your fingers.

Forget modes for the time being, they're not going to help you here - your problem is a lack of creativity.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jul 13, 2008,