I always hear people talking about how squier guitars are horrible. I think mine isn't the best guitar in the world, but I know some people who can actually get good quality sound out of theirs and have no problem playing it at all. Any thoughts?
Tone is mostly in the fingers, but if you were to compare a Squier Strat to a better guitar, it seems fairly crap (as you would expect). That's what people are generally doing when they say that Squiers are bad guitars.

It's a bit like comparing Fiat Puntos and Ferrari Enzos - Squiers are generally good guitars for their price range.
Squires are good mod guitars, that is the only way you'll get it comparable to a higher grade guitar. I have had a Squire MIM for 13 years but I bought it for the specific reason to mod it. I looked for one with a really good feel and neck, then swapped out the pickups with EMG David Gilmour's, swapped out the tuners with Schallers, swapped out the nut with a graphite one, swapped out the saddles with Graphtech's, scalloped the neck and set up the stock trem to float. Now I have a guitar that is $400-$500 including the mods (can't count the scallop as I did it myself) and it is comparable to a $700-$1000 guitar.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
i used to play with a guy that had several ibanez guitars, not sure of their model or anything, but he came in to practice one night with a squier strat, and it sounded amazing. i would have never guessed it was a squier. of course, when i played it, it sounded like my old peavey raptor. blue_strat is right, its in how YOU play it. just remember, you dance with you brung ya. lol
My Rig

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Honey Burst
Fender MIM Stratocaster Ash Natural
Crate v18 2x12
Eleven Rack
Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret
BBE Sonic Stomp
BMP with Tone Wicker
Dunlop Cry Baby
Its all relative. Compared to a 2k custom guitar its not very good. But its alot better than the 100 dollar strat-a-clones the shop near me sells. I have one I play all the time. Altho its hardly the guitar I bought on a trip overseas as it was the only left hand guitar in the store. The mods really didnt cost me anything as I had all the parts laying around from other projects. Are they terrible guitars no are they great guitars no.
squiers aren't bad at all for the price. all they need is a good setup and they'll be nice guitars to play. I actually prefer them to the recent MIM fenders.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Yea Squires are actually a quality guitar for the money. Obviously it won't compare to say a custom made 3 grand guitar or nothing. I've got a black Squire laying around here somewhere that I use for a ****s-and-giggle guitar.

A friend of mine has the Blink-182 custom Squire (Mint Green with one pickup) that he got for next to nothing. The finish is all worn off, and it had a hard life, but it's a nice guitar. Their tuners don't hold standard tuning quite that well through bends and stuff, but if you tune a step down they do pretty good
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Flux'D
Yea Squires are actually a quality guitar for the money. Obviously it won't compare to say a custom made 3 grand guitar or nothing. I've got a black Squire laying around here somewhere that I use for a ****s-and-giggle guitar.

A friend of mine has the Blink-182 custom Squire (Mint Green with one pickup) that he got for next to nothing. The finish is all worn off, and it had a hard life, but it's a nice guitar. Their tuners don't hold standard tuning quite that well through bends and stuff, but if you tune a step down they do pretty good

you'd be surprised to hear this but most of the tuning problems on cheap guitars come from having a shoddy nut, not the tuning pegs themselves.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by blue_strat
Tone is mostly in the fingers, but if you were to compare a Squier Strat to a better guitar, it seems fairly crap (as you would expect). That's what people are generally doing when they say that Squiers are bad guitars.

It's a bit like comparing Fiat Puntos and Ferrari Enzos - Squiers are generally good guitars for their price range.

Well. There is not much else in that price range.
But they make sounds and help people understand if this is a hobby they would enjoy
They are a good starter guitar but once you start getting better your gonna want to get something better pretty quick!
Gear
Jackson Rhodes
Jackson Kelly With EMG HZ's
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Sierra 28ce Acoustic Electric
Peavey Vypyr 212 (tube)
Line 6 Floor pod
Ibanez Toneblaster 30w
Custom Bass I built from spare parts
Fender Rumble 60 bass amp