hi guys, I was wondering if you could help me. When I play certain songs, 3 note per string scales & some pieces of music, the joint of my fretting hand's wrist begins to hurt, especially if Im doing it for a long period of time.

It dosent so much hurt while Im playing, it sort of throbs & then starts to ache when I stop playing.

Ive checked my technique against tonnes of professional guitarists & I cant see what Im doing wrong... my hands are really relaxed, & my thumbs always in the middle of the back of the neck - actually, sometimes that makes it hurt more. The only thing I can think of, is that it might be cos I have small hands & Im stretching too much.

can anyone help? Im worried I might be doing permanent damage.
how low do you have your strap?

I'm gonna go ahead and guess that it's quite low. If it is, raise it up and see if that helps. if not I'd re-examine my technique.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
You should also stretch out your fingers/wrists if you are going to be playing for long periods of time. Take a break at least every hour or so and do some stretches.
Yeah how low is your strap? I used to have my bass extremely low and my wrist would hurt after playing so I rasied it to about where John Myung has his bass and its helped my playing and my wrist stopped hurting.
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
When i first learned sweet child o' mine (well, the intro ) i had this. I just rested every time it hurt and it just stopped hurting after a while.
You could also be developing tendonitis in the wrist. Do you play for long periods of time without taking breaks? As cecomp64 said, stretching is a must.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
gotta say it...because you cut it too much ya emosexual bastard! XD
"Ignorance runs rampant through this virus we call life, dead one day, alive the next, never breaking a stride. As I take it all in and realize, nothing we do can stop it, I release the hatred from my eyes, only to feel it within."
try moving your thumb in different position when playing some bends it might help ....simply try different thumb positions that's what I mean
stop playing and let it rest,,,its tendonitis...i have it now and havent been able to play foe two weeks...itll get worse if u dont stop , trust me
ESP Eclipse with blackouts (Snow White)
Taylor 814ce (tabacco sunburst)
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
actually, its not low at all. I have my guitar fairly high on my chest, sort of John petrucci level.
Quote by twinturboaudi
stop playing and let it rest,,,its tendonitis...i have it now and havent been able to play foe two weeks...itll get worse if u dont stop , trust me

This has been happening for about a year & a half now, so Im fairly sure it isnt. Its not like, a severe pain, its kind of a dull throbbing pain... I dunno.

if it is tendonitis is there anything I can do after Ive rested it & start playing again thatll stop it coming back?
Just do warm ups and take breaks, there's muscles in there, they get tired.
My gear:
-No Brand Classical Guitar
-Squier Stratocaster Affinity Series
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Boss GT-8
-Boss DS-1
-Roland Cube 60

FREE TACOS!!!
How hard do you grip the neck? IF you've got a kung-fu grip on your neck you're going to get a sore wrist. If not, take breaks and try to avoid playing for extended periods of time.
Good music is good music...everything else can go to hell

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Avatar G212H (1xG12H30 1xAlnico Gold)
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
relax your hands and before you start really playing do some hand warm-ups and excercises. look in the articles and lessons part of the website and there are a few lessons that have excercises. and start out slow and work up your speed as your hand starts to warm up.
This happens to me a lot on difficult songs. It's always because I'm pressing my thumb too hard into the back of the neck. Maybe if you stretched or took breaks it would help.
Pinch Harmonics are all about luck. The more you practice them, the luckier you get.
your thumb doesnt HAVE to be in the middle of the neck. my thumb always peeks out from around the neck. the most important thing to technique is playing effortlessly and without tension. you may have tension in your wrist and not even realise it because ur used to it. i would just sit down, and go over your technique. if it hurts less when your thumb isnt in the middle of the neck, dont have it in the middle of the neck. theres no 'right' technique, so just find what works best for you. i hope that helps.
Quote by Mo Jiggity
What he said. You are a wise man for not buying into the hype.

ya hear that...he thinks im wise
Quote by IamJack
This has been happening for about a year & a half now, so Im fairly sure it isnt. Its not like, a severe pain, its kind of a dull throbbing pain... I dunno.

if it is tendonitis is there anything I can do after Ive rested it & start playing again thatll stop it coming back?

ICE ICE ICE
ESP Eclipse with blackouts (Snow White)
Taylor 814ce (tabacco sunburst)
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
yeah, mine does this all the time too, always on the 3 note per string scales

when it starts hurting take a short break and stretch it for awhile
stuff:
guitar.
amp.
acoustic.
READ THIS!!!
Point your wrist out away from you a bit more and don't push hard with your thumb. Make your fingers go into the fretboard as straight as you can without stretching while playing, and while you keep your wrist is relaxed. Either that or the note or scale or whatever is too hard for your hand size/shape and that's when you need to find an alternative way to play. There are several ways to play a song. Example, Kryptonite, there are powerchords or there are major's to be played that sound the same.
<|ĐÞŞ|>
Dead Puppy Society
=When the going gets tough, the tough get going=