I know that you shouldn't believe everything you read from wiki, but the following is taken from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search_of_persons

It states: "The police in the United States may perform a cursory search of the persons outer clothing for their own safety. However, they may not remove objects from pockets, as that would constitute a search. Police are allowed to remove weapons from persons, during the time they are present."

But, it says there is a citation needed. Does anybody know where i could get this information from a reliable source?

"it is better to be a part of beauty
for one instant and then to cease
to exist than to exist forever
and never be part of beauty"
-Don Marquis

Quote by nebraskan
People who are racist are probably the most ignorant alive.

A serious sig? WHATTT?
I'm not sure about a reliable source in writing, but I know that is correct.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
talk to a police officer

But yeah, if they suspect anything, they're allowed to do an external visual search without consent, and they'll ask you if you will remove anything in your pockets.
"Ignorance runs rampant through this virus we call life, dead one day, alive the next, never breaking a stride. As I take it all in and realize, nothing we do can stop it, I release the hatred from my eyes, only to feel it within."
Quote by crackhutch
talk to a police officer

But yeah, if they suspect anything, they're allowed to do an external visual search without consent, and they'll ask you if you will remove anything in your pockets.

Can't you ask for a warrant if they ask you to remove everything from your pockets? Or is refusal enough probable cause?
"it is better to be a part of beauty
for one instant and then to cease
to exist than to exist forever
and never be part of beauty"
-Don Marquis

Quote by nebraskan
People who are racist are probably the most ignorant alive.

A serious sig? WHATTT?
^no they have to have"Evidence" that you have something you shouldn't. Say you're pulled over for speeding and you have a huge bag out. If he or she sees or smells drugs, they can search without a warrant. Without that though, they can't search you, your car, your backpack, your purse, or anything else.
Quote by wizards?
^no they have to have"Evidence" that you have something you shouldn't. Say you're pulled over for speeding and you have a huge bag out. If he or she sees or smells drugs, they can search without a warrant. Without that though, they can't search you, your car, your backpack, your purse, or anything else.

That doesn't even matter though about drugs in a car, because (at least in New York) if you refuse to take a drug/chemical test after being pulled over the punishment is equal to the worst possible punishment for taking the test and failing.